New Uke Day

Uncle Leroy

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
My new Kelii Tenor arrived this afternoon from MGM. It came with set of strings that I was not familiar with, wound C. I put Aguilas on it and I am hoping that they stretch out soon so I can get to doing some serious playing. So far here are my impressions. Although the body has a slightly slimmer profile it is very loud but mellow sounding. I hope the aguilas will brighten it up a bit. Some people have commented that the neck is "chunky" my other ukes are a Flea and Fluke so I don't see it as chunky. I will write or make a video review in a few days after I have played the heck out of it.

Congratulations on the new ukulele. I've heard great things about Keli'i ukuleles and I look forward to seeing/hearing yours.

I have a Keli'i too - throw Worths on it, you won't be sorry.

If you don't like the wound low G in the Aquilas you could try the Fremont Blacklines. They have a nice bright sound like Worth Clears but the low G in the set sounds better than the Worth Clear low G.

Aloha Uncle Leroy,
Congrats on the new Keli'i...you know I looked a my Keli'i lamp and my Koa Pili Koko and they almost look the same..bridge and body...I found out from my friend that the builder who builds Koa Pili koko sold the
company to tha chinese company and now makes Keli'i...and when I looked at the two ukes they look very close to the same.....maybe the Koa Pili koko's are cheaper too....Anyways enjoy and have fun....
Happy strummings and Holidays!! MM Stan..

OK Here are a couple of pics. So far....I love it.

Attachments

• DSCF0073.jpg
    DSCF0073.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCF0072.jpg
    DSCF0072.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCF0071.jpg
    DSCF0071.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 31
Thats a pretty one! I played a Kelii tenor last week (belonged to a friend) and they have a really nice tone to them. Good choice!

Beautiful uke! Keli'i makes some wonderful stuff at really reasonable prices. There isn't a whole lot of information available about the maker, but if MGM recommends Keli'i then it's a good sign. They don't have the prestige of Kamaka, the quirkiness of KoAloha, or the flawless finish of Kanile'a, but the sound is absolutely in the same class as the other K's.

I love my all-Koa Kelii tenor so far. I like tuning it a half-step lower (linear) --B tuning. Love how deep it sounds, yet still has clarity.

I wonder if the all-Koa sound very different or similar to the Koa/ Mahogany? Has anyone played both of them side by side?

Last edited:
Top Bottom