Fanny Power - campanella style

Ken Middleton

Reaction score
Just done this arrangement this morning. I have recorded this before, but this is a new arrangement using the campanella technique. There are places where I play the same string twice in a row, but not many (and always for a reason).

FANNY POWER by T.O'Carolan

The tune was written in the 18th century by the blind Irish harpist Turlough O'Carolan.

Aloha Ken,
Nice warm and sweet...also the ambience of the background of your livng abode....that fireplace and fire is the icing on the cake!! Thanks for sharing!!! Happy Holidays to you and yur family!! MM Stan..

Very nice Ken!! I am always impressed with the clarity and full reverb sound you get, I guess through Audacity, but sounds somewhat like an amp is used. Are you using same tab you have on your site for this arrangement? Thank you for posting. Lozark

Aloha Ken,
Nice warm and sweet...also the ambience of the background of your livng abode....that fireplace and fire is the icing on the cake!! Thanks for sharing!!! Happy Holidays to you and yur family!! MM Stan..

You too, Stan. Thanks for all your interest and support this year.

Very nice, Ken. I play your original arrangement and this is a beautiful song.

Thank you. Although it sounds very similar, I have actually changed quite a lot. It is much harder to play accurately now.

Very nice Ken!! I am always impressed with the clarity and full reverb sound you get, I guess through Audacity, but sounds somewhat like an amp is used. Are you using same tab you have on your site for this arrangement? Thank you for posting. Lozark

It is not the same tab. I used the original one as a starting point, but changed quite a lot. Now, I almost never play the same string two notes in a row.

I never use an amp at home. I am using a new reverb patch for Audacity. It is called Anwidasoft L1V. It is much better than the Gverb that is installed as standard.

excellent. Thank you.

That was really nice, Ken! Aside from the fingering to make it campanella style, is there any other variation from the (standard notation) version you have on your site?

I've found myself doing some on-the-fly altering to some of the tabs I've found to use cross strings instead of playing notes consecutively on the same string. The campanella effect can be really nice. :)

excellent. Thank you.

Thanks for watching.

That was really nice, Ken! Aside from the fingering to make it campanella style, is there any other variation from the (standard notation) version you have on your site?

I've found myself doing some on-the-fly altering to some of the tabs I've found to use cross strings instead of playing notes consecutively on the same string. The campanella effect can be really nice. :)

I have changed it around quite a bit. I can't remember exactly where.

The campanella technique really doesn't work for everything. It gets to be quite an obsession though. I find that you need to have a reason for playing it that way. Having the notes blur together isn't always effective. It does usually work with anything Celtic, however.

You always play so well, that is beautiful. The name of the song is "Fanny Power"? If so I would be interested to know how the blind Irish harpist Turlough O'Carolan came up with that. I thought maybe you were riding a bicycle while picking:)
Thanks Ken,
DAP

You always play so well, that is beautiful. The name of the song is "Fanny Power"? If so I would be interested to know how the blind Irish harpist Turlough O'Carolan came up with that. I thought maybe you were riding a bicycle while picking:)
Thanks Ken,
DAP

Thanks very much. I know it's an odd title for a tune, but there are plenty of people today with the same name (see Facebook, for instance). Imagine the jibing they get, particularly in England where the word has a whole other meaning.

Cheers for that Ken. I have just sat down with your tab, and roughed out a chord/melody version of it. It may or may not appear below!!! Enjoy!

fanny power.jpgfanny power.jpgfanny power.jpg

Yep, just done it Ken. But I live in the sticks and have a steam powered wireless connection, so it will be an hour or so before it uploads properly.

Beautifully played, Ken.

I play this on my wooden flute. It has a lovely warm tone which does justice to O'Carolan tunes. At least, I think it does. :cool:

Top Bottom