PDA

View Full Version : It's a comin!

Dane
12-14-2010, 05:25 AM
I love it when it finally gets to this part =)

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/2830/upsoutfordelivery.jpg

Ronnie Aloha
12-14-2010, 05:34 AM
What is it!!!

Dane
12-14-2010, 05:38 AM
Not tellin! =)

lozarkman
12-14-2010, 06:06 AM
How can we get excited if we don't know what were gettin :) :) Feel your joy. Let us know and post a few pics. Good luck!! Lozark

mm stan
12-14-2010, 06:26 AM
Aloha Dane,
The wait must be excurciating....I know the feeling man!!! Keep us informed!!!Happy Holidays, must be your Christmas gift to yourself!!! MM Stan..

misterpk
12-14-2010, 06:39 AM
I know what it is. It's pretty cool. :)

fitncrafty
12-14-2010, 07:05 AM
I love it when it finally gets to this part =)

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/2830/upsoutfordelivery.jpg

Is it your Shake weight and a snuggy?? HA ha!! Sure hope your excitement is a UKE!

dkcrown
12-14-2010, 07:32 AM
Can't wait to see the pics

Dane
12-14-2010, 07:37 AM
Is it your Shake weight and a snuggy?? HA ha!! Sure hope your excitement is a UKE!

Oh darn you ruined it, I'll make sure to post an exercise video when I get em ;)

It's too bad I live on top of the friggin mountain, who knows when it will get delivered, I'd imagine UPS is quite busy right now with package deliveries.

I'll make a few videos when my item arrives :)

Dane
12-14-2010, 07:44 AM
Aloha Dane,
The wait must be excurciating....I know the feeling man!!! Keep us informed!!!Happy Holidays, must be your Christmas gift to yourself!!! MM Stan..

Yep it's my gift to myself... I've been naughty

fitncrafty
12-14-2010, 07:44 AM
Oh darn you ruined it, I'll make sure to post an exercise video when I get em ;)

It's too bad I live on top of the friggin mountain, who knows when it will get delivered, I'd imagine UPS is quite busy right now with package deliveries.

I'll make a few videos when my item arrives :)

Dane... for real? I can't wait... I am a certified personal trainer if you need help! :)

Dane
12-14-2010, 07:46 AM
Dane... for real? I can't wait... I am a certified personal trainer if you need help! :)

Haha no I didn't get the shake weight, but thinking about getting a snuggie, not quite sure though, I might just get a robe instead, then I can have a robe, plus I can wear it backwards and have a snuggie.

I do need to get in shape however, which for me means I need to start unicycling again, it's an incredible workout!

misterpk
12-14-2010, 08:17 AM
Haha no I didn't get the shake weight, but thinking about getting a snuggie, not quite sure though, I might just get a robe instead, then I can have a robe, plus I can wear it backwards and have a snuggie.

I do need to get in shape however, which for me means I need to start unicycling again, it's an incredible workout!

Are you one of those crazy unicyclists that I see doing the trail up to seven falls/inspiration point?

Dane
12-14-2010, 08:26 AM
Are you one of those crazy unicyclists that I see doing the trail up to seven falls/inspiration point?

No I wish, I don't have muni. I just have an intermediate street uni, I learned on it. You can do small drops on it, and ride on dirt, but nothing extreme. If I took it on trails I'd probably rip the hub out or bend the cranks really bad. When I start back up though I'll probably try to learn some freestyle stuff since I could do that with mine. Eventually I'll have to get a Muni, unicycling is incredibly fun, especially when obstacles are involved.

The most I can do on my uni is 180 uni spins, some normal 180s forward or back, and riding backwards. Oh I rode over 100 feet on a curb a few times, that is really fun. There is this really long curb by one of my campuses on cota street (near world market in the back) and I used to ride that between classes.

fitncrafty
12-14-2010, 08:40 AM

I do need to get in shape however, which for me means I need to start unicycling again, it's an incredible workout!:)

;) I have a 'snuggie blanket' a knock off.. which I love.. and I can wear it backward like a robe... OR like a snuggie.. but alas the back of the robe is high, and I don't want to wear it backward... Darn.. I was looking forward to the shake weight videos!! must be a new uke day then!

Dane
12-14-2010, 08:46 AM
:)
must be a new uke day then!

Somethin like that =)

sukie
12-14-2010, 09:10 AM
:)
must be a new uke day then!

Hurry up and get it. Must be after noon in CA. Come on.........what'd ya get?

Dane
12-14-2010, 09:34 AM
Hurry up and get it. Must be after noon in CA. Come on.........what'd ya get?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M16YfH6TVBk

fitncrafty
12-14-2010, 09:36 AM
That is cruel!!!!!

Dane
12-14-2010, 09:46 AM
It's comin don't worry, gotta film it first ;)

dnewton2
12-14-2010, 09:49 AM
I am getting a package today too. Mine will be an empty case though similar to yours, well it will have a humidifier in it but no uke, untill I put one in it.

Lori
12-14-2010, 09:58 AM
You tease.
–Lori

Dane
12-14-2010, 10:46 AM
Really is a fantastic looking instrument. I thought my Ohana was lightweight, this thing weighs nothing! I'll do a real review once I get better at playing it. Sound clip is coming too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7AhIapkFBQ

Dane
12-14-2010, 10:50 AM
some soundclips, I am not that great with it yet, but I can really see its potential. love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uOlHLhYdX8

DustinCasler
12-14-2010, 10:58 AM
Very nice uke! I'm sure that just made your holidays severely better. I just ordered my first uke, Kamoa Pineapple Soprano, but i'm looking at 3 weeks before I get it. Congrats Dane.

FromTheWayside
12-14-2010, 11:10 AM
What a great sound! This instrument has a bottom-end to its sound that I just don't get on my re-entrant ukuleles. Keep up the good work, and let me know if the D-VI ever needs a new home...

Teek
12-14-2010, 11:13 AM
Awesome uke, Merry Christmas, I think you must have been VERY GOOD and not at all naughty to snag one of those. May you have many happy years together! Very pretty playing too, sigh.

Lori
12-14-2010, 11:17 AM
Now you've done it! I want one for sure now. Is that a gloss or semi gloss finish on yours? Sounds great... now if I can find a place to store it, along with the Mya-moe custom that will come in February, and that double g string Ohana tenor coming out soon. I will have to wait a bit longer 'till I work it all out.
Nice Guitarlele!! At least I have finally settled on which one to get.

–Lori

DAPuke
12-14-2010, 11:20 AM
Oh man, That is quite a piece of artwork you've got there. Gotta update your signature now. Diggin the "claw" on the Koaloha!
DAP

Tudorp
12-14-2010, 11:24 AM
Nice... Personally I don't get the 6 string uke thing, but you can't go wrong with that one. Beautiful. Oh yeah, you weren't supposed to open it until Christmas!! And it's always good to open presents to yourself on Christmas, always the best supprises!! hehheh

Dane
12-14-2010, 11:28 AM
haha thanks guys. already I'm starting to mesh together my ukulele playing and guitar playing, it's really intriguing. It is definitely a very nice piece of craftsmanship.

Lori- I'm not sure what to call the finish, it is like a semi-gloss. It is reflective, but has a very fine texture to it, and shows off the bevels of the wood grain.

Also, I already named it, it totally feels like a "Bruce", we'll see if the name sticks.

Dane
12-14-2010, 11:31 AM
Oh an I'm very eager to experiment with strings. But I will try to leave these on for a few weeks and see if they break in any differently, I assume they will a bit.

OldePhart
12-14-2010, 12:44 PM
Congrats Dane - now that's the kind of self-Christmas present I can go for!

John

Dane
12-14-2010, 01:14 PM
Congrats Dane - now that's the kind of self-Christmas present I can go for!

John

haha yeah no kiddin.

I'm having trouble keeping this thing out of my hands. It's such a vastly different sound from my ohana, and I love my Ohana too.

I can already tell I'm gonna want a pickup in it at some point, this thing just wants to be played everywhich way.

SailingUke
12-14-2010, 01:27 PM
Dane,
We need to take the D-VI's to the Santa Barbara Ukulele gathering at the Harbor some Saturday.
I have had mine there a few times and everyone thinks I am playing a guitar.
Congrats on the new uke, the Koaloha is a fine instrument.

Dane
12-14-2010, 01:33 PM
Dane,
We need to take the D-VI's to the Santa Barbara Ukulele gathering at the Harbor some Saturday.
I have had mine there a few times and everyone thinks I am playing a guitar.
Congrats on the new uke, the Koaloha is a fine instrument.

That sounds great. I've never actually been to any of them, in my mind I keep telling myself "Oh I don't really play strum and sing songs, so it's not my thing" (which I have no idea what they play, because I've never been) but its actually because I don't make a habit of persuing social situations. Which I should, it's healthier to be around people, especially ones who are into the same things as I am, ukulele!

This instrument really baffles me, I can totally play it just like my uke and it sounds like one, then I can just turn it around and it sounds like my guitar, it's fantastic! Do you use the strings that go stock with your D-VI?

misterpk
12-14-2010, 03:12 PM
That sounds great. I've never actually been to any of them, in my mind I keep telling myself "Oh I don't really play strum and sing songs, so it's not my thing" (which I have no idea what they play, because I've never been) but its actually because I don't make a habit of persuing social situations. Which I should, it's healthier to be around people, especially ones who are into the same things as I am, ukulele!

This instrument really baffles me, I can totally play it just like my uke and it sounds like one, then I can just turn it around and it sounds like my guitar, it's fantastic! Do you use the strings that go stock with your D-VI?

They are all really nice out there. I don't think any of them are really serious players so it doesn't surprise me that they think you are playing a guitar. ;) You guys bring your D-VIs and I'll bring my Pineapple Sunday!

Dane, you don't have to sing. They like it when people sing but you don't have to do it. You can spend your time playing different chord inversions and doing fills. No one got annoyed when I filled in the spaces.

Dane
12-14-2010, 03:29 PM
They are all really nice out there. I don't think any of them are really serious players so it doesn't surprise me that they think you are playing a guitar. ;) You guys bring your D-VIs and I'll bring my Pineapple Sunday!

Dane, you don't have to sing. They like it when people sing but you don't have to do it. You can spend your time playing different chord inversions and doing fills. No one got annoyed when I filled in the spaces.

Oh yeah I'm sure they're all lovely and up for all sorts of things. But as I said, my mind likes to continually make up excuses to avoid social events, usually when they have to do with a larger numbers of people.

sukie
12-14-2010, 06:27 PM
HAPPIEST of NEW UKE DAYS! Lovely.

Dane
12-14-2010, 06:52 PM
HAPPIEST of NEW UKE DAYS! Lovely.

Thanks very much! Sorry for draggin it out, I couldn't resist.

guitharsis
12-15-2010, 12:13 AM
So nice! Your playing is too. Love it. Guitarlele - what a great little instrument. Best of both.

WhenDogsSing
12-15-2010, 02:48 AM
Nice playing Dane. Your D-VI is a very pretty instrument. Congratulations and enjoy...!!!

Dane
12-15-2010, 06:43 AM
Nice playing Dane. Your D-VI is a very pretty instrument. Congratulations and enjoy...!!!

Thanks, where's the video of you playing yours huh? :)

scottie
12-15-2010, 07:22 AM
What are the widths at the nut and saddle?

WhenDogsSing
12-15-2010, 07:47 AM
Thanks, where's the video of you playing yours huh? :)

I'll get right on it...!!!

Dane
12-15-2010, 09:46 AM
What are the widths at the nut and saddle?

I'll have to get back to you on that one. Runnin out the door, I'll measure when I get back home later.

Here's another sound clip, I didn't think the first with my crappy playing did it justice, even this doesn't, it sounds too rich for my little crappy cameras mic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUEg8DfT3Uc

Pippin
12-15-2010, 09:55 AM
Nice git. The bottom-end is nice and rich. KoAloha does a fantastic job on all their instruments.

Dane
12-15-2010, 02:19 PM
Nice git. The bottom-end is nice and rich. KoAloha does a fantastic job on all their instruments.

It makes me wish I also had a KoAloha normal Tenor now. That will have to wait a while though.

soupking
12-15-2010, 02:38 PM
You really can't beat that warranty, either. I'm definately going Koaloha for my next koa, without question. By the way, when I heard you were goin' for the D-VI, I was a little skeptical about how good a guitarlele could possibly sound. It's totally different than what I expected- in a good way. Nice playing, too.

mm stan
12-15-2010, 03:00 PM
Aloha Dane,
Woo Wooooo...Congrats buddy!!! looks and sounds awesome....has a very nice balanced tone....Have fun and enjoy!!! Happy Strummings and Have a Happy Holidays!!!! Thanks for sharing your great moment!!!
MM Stan......

WhenDogsSing
12-16-2010, 05:34 AM
I'll get right on it...!!!

Here you are folks...!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/WhenDogsSing?feature=mhum

casarole45
12-16-2010, 06:57 AM
my gawd I love the D'VI. I've already opened up a seperate bank account to save up for one... hopefully this time next year I'll have one. Great buy Dane. Don't think you need to fiddle with strings by the way. They sound pretty sweet how they are.

DAPuke
12-16-2010, 07:10 AM
Here you are folks...!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/WhenDogsSing?feature=mhumThanks for sharing your D'VI,"live from the basement w/Harley sittin' in" :) You play very well, the fish seem to dig it too.
DAP

Dane
12-16-2010, 08:26 PM
Here you are folks...!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/WhenDogsSing?feature=mhum

Alright! Thanks for making a video. It's amazing how similar our D-VIs look. Mine has SEPT 2010 stamped on the neck block inside. Can't find a specific serial anywhere though. And you're a better player than me :)

my gawd I love the D'VI. I've already opened up a seperate bank account to save up for one... hopefully this time next year I'll have one. Great buy Dane. Don't think you need to fiddle with strings by the way. They sound pretty sweet how they are.

Yeah they sound pretty good, I'm going to wait and see how the break in, and then I am eager to explore what else I can. But it does sound very nice as is.

WhenDogsSing
12-17-2010, 02:44 AM
Alright! Thanks for making a video. It's amazing how similar our D-VIs look. Mine has SEPT 2010 stamped on the neck block inside. Can't find a specific serial anywhere though. And you're a better player than me :)

Yeah they sound pretty good, I'm going to wait and see how the break in, and then I am eager to explore what else I can. But it does sound very nice as is.

Our D-VIs came from the same batch. Each neck block is stamped "SEPT 2010" but they were not completed until early December. Thanks for your compliment regarding my plunking...Enjoy your D-VI and Harley says Arf! Arf! Arf! :D