I'm Going (Really) Old School!

Paul December

Reaction score
I just sold my Kiwaya Soprano so had some unaccounted-for-$$$ to feed my UAS...
...but was quite happy with my present lineup of ukes, so figured I'd need something very different. Searching YouTube for inspiration, I ran across the Baroq-Ulele. Very unique for sure. When I went to the manufacturer's website, I noticed they also make an even more Lute-ish creation called the "Lute-Kulele". Tenor scale, 6 strings, and a larger body...just too cool to pass-up. Unfortunately, I could not find any reviews so I'm taking a big chance on it. A couple potential negatives are the peg tuners and even more worrisome, the tied-on nylon frets (as is traditionally done on lutes). I read on some lute pages that the tying the frets isn't as bad as one would think. I guess I'll find out!

ultvl.jpg

From the Manufacturer
Lute-kulele ™, Tenor, Variegated, Pegs (Item Code: ULTVL)
Based upon the Renaissance Lute which was prevalent in Europe in the 16th and 17th century, the Lute-kulele™ is one of the sweetest sounding ukuleles in our collection and is ideally suited for classical and fingerstyle music. This Tenor-sized instrument is based upon a 430mm (17 inches) scale and features six strings. The first (A) and third (C) strings are doubled providing a rich full and balanced tone. It is played like any normal 4-string ukulele. It features a European spruce soundboard with the famous Leonardo Knot rosette which was a favorite of many Renaissance lute makers. The back is made in the traditional manner of lute-making and is made of alternating staves of sheesham rosewood (Dalbergia sissoo) and lacewood (Platanus orientalus). The neck and pegbox are solid sheesham rosewood and features a bone nut with a width of 37mm (1 1/2 inch). This instrument is outfitted with traditional ebony lute pegs. The bridge is also made of sheesham rosewood. An end-pin strap button is standard and a soft case is included.

Very cool - you know you have to post pictures when you get it, right? Matt Dahlberg (TheJumpingFlea) has a baroque-ulele, I believe and it sounds beautiful (of course, pretty much anything I've ever heard Matt play sounds beautiful...).

Are you finding that the instrument is better picked than strummed?

Very unique and interesting.

How do you transport it? Form-fitting case? gigbag?

Thanks for sharing, and...

keep uke'in',

Looking forward to your review of it. I have considered their baroq-ulele, but was holding off to see if they'd bring out a tenor version of their sitar-ulele instead.

Are you finding that the instrument is better picked than strummed?

Very unique and interesting.

How do you transport it? Form-fitting case? gigbag?

Thanks for sharing, and...

keep uke'in',

It is only being shipped-out in a day or two. It comes with some sort of soft case.
I assume as with other lutes, it's more for picking.

Just curious, what is your concern about the peg tuners?

I think it's a cool instrument and I hope you do a video so we can see and hear it! Hope it arrives quickly!

Just curious, what is your concern about the peg tuners?

I think it's a cool instrument and I hope you do a video so we can see and hear it! Hope it arrives quickly!

I've heard violin/viola/cello players complain about how difficult cheaper ones are to use.

OK, yes, I have heard that too. I do want to add some hope....when they are done well, wood peg tuners are a breeze! I have two uke's with wood pegs and to be honest, they are my favorite. They aren't the easiest by far, but there is something kind of special about them....IMHO!

I've heard violin/viola/cello players complain about how difficult cheaper ones are to use.

I have a fiddle and the wood pegs are no problem. If they are too loose you can rub chalk on them to make them stick better. There are also commercial products for making them move more smoothly or more stiffly. This stuff is available for a few dollars at any music store that works with violins. Have fun with your lute!

Looking forward to your review of it. I have considered their baroq-ulele, but was holding off to see if they'd bring out a tenor version of their sitar-ulele instead.

I agree! Even if they don't come out with a tenor model, I'm getting one! :)

If the wooden pegs are too tight or they bind, you can rub a crayon on the contact area of the peg ( a little at a time and pick a color that won't show ) and that will help with smoothness. If that doesn't work, you can always buy the peg dope for $12.95
Saw that tip on the hang tag on an Oud at a music store, and it works great on my vintage Martin with rosewood tuners..

Top Bottom