Learning HOW to play a ukulele

KevinTJH

Reaction score
I'm trying to be a self-taught ukulele player but have no idea where to start.

Can anyone suggest some good uke books or resources for a beginner to become a pro without the need to take lessons from a teacher?
I've got quite a lot of experience with guitar and bass (if that helps).

Thanks in advance.!

I am in your boat, justa couple of months down the road. It is possible. There are some fantastic iphone Aps available that are free and can be used to learn chords. Also, there is a website that provides player written tabs for a ton of songs. http://www.ukulele-tabs.com/ is the site. Also,, there are some incredible tutorial videos available on Youtube. Just search for Ukulele lessons. There are also good books, but I don;t know which ones to recommend. Best wishes, and remember, the only one that has to enjoy your playing is you. It will grow on others over time. Enjoy, and strum away!!

mendel

Learn from Aldrine and links from this site. You won't go far astray.

The internet is a great resource and it is not all that difficult to be self taught. I do recommend that you look for a class or at least a uke group to go play with.
Most groups welcome beginners and there are almost always some members that will point you in the right direction.
Private lessons are great, but I believe if you have some basic skills you can get more out of lessons.
The ukulele is a very social instrument and playing with others gets you on the fast track to improvement.

Go to Google Books. Type in Ukulele. The first book you will see is really REALLY helpful for beginners.

The real benefits of a teacher are 1. the hands on instruction in some aspects of technique that make playing easier and better sounding EARLY ON, 2. the constructive criticism of the student's playing.

Welcome to the UU Family,

Please feel free to use the links to my Ukulele Boot Camp and
the Free Songbook.

I hope they will help you and encourage you.

Keep uke'in',

The real benefits of a teacher are 1. the hands on instruction in some aspects of technique that make playing easier and better sounding EARLY ON, 2. the constructive criticism of the student's playing.

I agree with you but money wise I think books and youtube will do fine on its own. I'm a bit tight on budget right now and youtube / books are doing its job in teaching me ukulele.

Go to youtube and check out UkuleleMike tons of videos and lessons. Also on youtube check out keonepax.

the Free Songbook.
Thanks for your link there! Very generous of you. By the way how do I download your books? It seems I have to download a software from the website to do so.

Thanks for all the responses! Yes I would love to take up some uke lessons, but as someone also mentioned here, money is a bit of an issue for me.
The internet truly is a wonderful place to learn, but only problem is that there're just too many resources, that I don't know which are the good ones!

Currently I'm here : http://ukeschool.com/
UkuleleMike is pretty good as well

I'm hoping to be independent with the uke for a few months, then I'll consider taking 1-2 lessons just to get some feedback.

the Free Songbook.

I hope they will help you and encourage you.

Keep uke'in',

Uncle Rod - your links both go to the Songbook. Can you fix it so I can get a copy of the Boot Camp? I used to have it but can't find the file. Thanks!

I searched on 4shared.com for Uncle Rod's bootcamp and there were 2 on there. I picked the link for the newest one. Uncle Rod can confirm if it's the right one.

http://www.4shared.com/document/WI3SRGwf/Ukulele_Boot_Camp_rev.htm

Excellent - thanks. I didn't realize you could search on that site. Uncle Rod still might want to update the ones in his signature, though. [forgot to mention in my first post that I meant the link in his signature was the one I was having trouble with.]

Last edited:
don't know if anybody else has said this but my experience is find someone who is better than you and bribe them ( I've found alcohol is a good start ;-) and have regular sessions with them. Just print out some songs that you both like and start having fun.
Then watch vids of all the good players on here and stay inspired to improve. Pick and choose from all the excellent tutorials on her.
Also don't feel you have to sound like anyone in particular. If you play songs you like you'll find a style.

Thanks UncleRod for your bootcamp!

If you play songs you like you'll find a style.
As odd as it may seem, I've actually been playing alot of hispanic and flamenco type of music on my uke. I guess guitar techniques are the only thing I know at the moment. But I've just learnt how to strum the uke with my index finger...I'm getting there!

By the way, can anyone suggest some GOOD solo ukulele songs for me try out? If possible, only well-known songs. I would love some "hawaiian-sounding" songs as well!

I think that might be a good start for me. I like reading tablature.

Last edited:
Top Bottom