'Ukulele-bass string compensation

jop

Reaction score
I am in the process of converting a baritone 'ukulele into a u-bass - using 'pahoehoe' strings. Can anyone give me an indication of the amount of compensation these strings need? A very preliminary test (stretching a string over the existing nut/saddle and checking full string/octave with a tuner (takes a lot of hands:))) suggests that it isn't that different from the original setup, but if anyone knows -or has an opportunity to measure 'the real thing', it could save me from a lot of experimentation and possible multiple remakes of bridges :).

Thanks, Jens

Hi Jens, I measured mine for you. I assume that in Denmark you would want metric numbers. I will include the tuning at the 12th fret also. Mine is close, but not perfect. You can go from there.
E=51.6 cm +3 cents
A=51.8 cm -6 cents
D=51.9 cm -7 cents
G=52.1 cm -5 cents

What kind of pick up are you going to use? I would like to hear it when you finish the conversion.

Bill

Thanks a lot. Metric's fine - saves me a few calculations :eek:). What is the 'nominal' scale length (nut to 12th fret * 2)? -To give me an idea of the amount added for compensation.
It is a bit interesting that the highest strings have the most compensation. Normally it would have been the other way round.
On this first attempt I am going to use piezo discs for pick-ups. (A nice excuse for 'killing' these annoying, earsplitting christmas cards :eek:).

Thanks again,
Jens

Jens, you are right. I typed the information in wrong.
E=52.1 cm +3 cents
A=51.9 cm -6 cents
D=51.8 cm -7 cents
G=51.6 cm -5 cents

These are the correct figures. The finger board side of the nut to the center of the 12th fret is 25.6 cm.
Bill

Wow, you are acting fast. Your figures don't seem too different from what I've already got. I haven't got the 'uke with me right now, but it looks af if I can get away with using the existing bridge, -perhaps with minor adjustments to the saddle.
Thank you very much. I'll let all y'all know how it ends. Maybe even try to extend my computing skills as far as attempting some pictures and some kind of recording (I'm in at the deep end here :eek:).

Again, thank you very much.
Jens

Top Bottom