Do you use fret rocker?

UkeforJC

Reaction score
Dear all,
I am wondering how many of you use fret rocker from Stew Mac?
It seems to be a very useful little tool. But it is so expensive.

Is there any other similar tool out there that does the same job, but cheaper?
I thought I would ask you guys first to decide whether I am going to buy the fret rocker.

Thank you so much.

I use it for repair work for the most part. ie tracking down a problem if there is one. You can easily make one yourself. Doesn't even have to be that shape. Just some lengths of anything that is dead flat you could use to rock back and forth that will span 3 frets. Even a steel ruler cut into various lengths would do the trick.

IMO, the entire Stew-Mac beginner's fretting kit is useful for novices who have few other tools. You certainly can get by with jury-rigged substitutes, but you will save much time and frustration buying the right tools now. I can't imagine fretting without this, for example. YMMV.

I'll only add don't go cheap on your straight edges. It's hard to spend $50 for a straight piece of metal but it's worth it. This applies to the short rockers as well. As Allen mentioned, dead flat is imperative. Drug store rulers and credit card "rockers" have no place in my shop.

I'll only add don't go cheap on your straight edges. It's hard to spend $50 for a straight piece of metal but it's worth it. This applies to the short rockers as well. As Allen mentioned, dead flat is imperative. Drug store rulers and credit card "rockers" have no place in my shop.

Thank you all for your comments. I think indeed I should invest in the straight edge.

I use a small draftsman's triangle.

Top Bottom