PDA

View Full Version : Do you use fret rocker?

UkeforJC
12-15-2010, 08:10 AM
Dear all,
I am wondering how many of you use fret rocker from Stew Mac?
It seems to be a very useful little tool. But it is so expensive.

Is there any other similar tool out there that does the same job, but cheaper?
I thought I would ask you guys first to decide whether I am going to buy the fret rocker.

Thank you so much.

Doug
12-15-2010, 08:50 AM
I don't use one. Never heard of it before now.
Doug

Allen
12-15-2010, 08:51 AM
I use it for repair work for the most part. ie tracking down a problem if there is one. You can easily make one yourself. Doesn't even have to be that shape. Just some lengths of anything that is dead flat you could use to rock back and forth that will span 3 frets. Even a steel ruler cut into various lengths would do the trick.

mzuch
12-15-2010, 09:52 AM
IMO, the entire Stew-Mac beginner's fretting kit is useful for novices who have few other tools. You certainly can get by with jury-rigged substitutes, but you will save much time and frustration buying the right tools now. I can't imagine fretting without this (http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_supplies/Shaping_and_crowning/Fret_End_Dressing_File.html), for example. YMMV.

mm stan
12-15-2010, 01:28 PM
Aloha UkeforJC,
Is that just a fancy name for a straight edge?????

Tarhead
12-15-2010, 03:08 PM
Aloha UkeforJC,

or a drill bit?

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
12-15-2010, 03:09 PM
I'll only add don't go cheap on your straight edges. It's hard to spend $50 for a straight piece of metal but it's worth it. This applies to the short rockers as well. As Allen mentioned, dead flat is imperative. Drug store rulers and credit card "rockers" have no place in my shop.

UkeforJC
12-15-2010, 03:49 PM
Aloha UkeforJC,

Aloha, well, ya...i guess it is just a straight edge.
This is the product link: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_supplies/Measuring/Fret_Rocker.html

UkeforJC
12-15-2010, 03:50 PM
I'll only add don't go cheap on your straight edges. It's hard to spend $50 for a straight piece of metal but it's worth it. This applies to the short rockers as well. As Allen mentioned, dead flat is imperative. Drug store rulers and credit card "rockers" have no place in my shop.

Thank you all for your comments. I think indeed I should invest in the straight edge.

Vic D
12-15-2010, 06:58 PM
I use a small draftsman's triangle.

ksquine
12-16-2010, 10:38 PM
I just use my square. Just slide the ruler off and use the handle part

Kekani
12-17-2010, 06:33 AM
I use different sized of engineer's squares (yes, I have a really small one for the higher frets), but not because I'm trying to go over the top. Its because I have them for tool setups, and I'm cheap.