buzzing

pastyman

Reaction score
Ive had my tenor for about 15 months now. Its a Laka, made by Vintage and has always had a very nice tone. I have noticed lately that it seems to have a slight buzz especially on the first string. Everything looks fine with no visible distortion etc. It is fitted with Aquila strings but they were fittede from new. I seem to remember reading somewhere on here that the strings should be changed frequently, so could this buzzing mean that I should change the strings?:confused:

It could be a lot of things - strings is the easiest to change and 15 months is quite a while on strings if you play a lot. However, strings don't usually start buzzing when they get old (though I suppose the gut coating on the Aquila strings could be fraying).

Usually when an instrument that wasn't buzzing starts buzzing it's something in the geometry changing. The neck can be bowing backwards a tad, the top sinking a little because it's drying out (not usually a problem on laminated instruments though) or even a single fret that is lifting from the fretboard a little. I had an old classical guitar with brass frets and my finger caught the tip of one and bent it up slightly, once.

John

Aloha PastyMan,
Did the buzzing start just after you changed the strings....if so, which string or strings...my first area to look is the nut, and you used a thinner guage of strings...and the groove is loose...
if so, shim it with a piece of paper....MM Stan...

Thanks for the replies chaps, I have not changed the strings yet, its the originals that may be buzzin. It also seems to be just the 1st string . I will change them today and see if there is any improvement.

Right, I got some new strings and decided to change the uke to low g tuning but using the standard strings as suggested elsewhere on this site. anyway having done it I realised that the new strings I had bought were for a soprano, never thought that they would be different for a tennor, aanyway still didnt sound right so I changed back to the old Aquilas but in the low g formation, Still buzzin but in the second string now..... I think I will get a straight edge and check the frets first then send off for a proper set of strings...

On the happier side Santa delivered me a new Stagg soprano, ( to be opened next week, Cant wait!!

Top Bottom