Painting ukulele edges??

cherry413

Reaction score
Hey everyone. i am getting my first ukulele and ive already ordered it. But i realized , after the fact, that the edges dont have any paint on it. i was wondering if i can paint the edges or bring it to someone to paint. I really dont know anything about it soooo yeah....:p

Hi Cherry413, I have no answer for you, but you can be sure the experts will need to know what the uke you're expecting is made of and if it has a finish of any kind already on it. Many of our UU family members are artists who decorate ukes with paint. Oh and...WOO HOO for new uke on the way! What is it?
DAP

oh thanks i didnt think i about the details. Well......its a concert Oscar schmidt ou2e. it is made of mahagony on the top, back and sides. The fretboard and the bridge are made of rosewood. It also has a satin finish. I cant wait for it to get here!!!

The short answer is that it's your uke and you can do anything you want to it!

The slightly longer answer is that if you're talking about painting the "corners" where the top and back meet the sides I wouldn't really bother. Traditionally, binding (thin strips of plastic or wood) is used there on some instruments to both hide the seam where the two pieces meet and to provide protection. Some very cheap ukes from days gone by used painted "bindings" that basically just tended to chip and look ugly without providing any protection. There are some very fine ukuleles made that have no binding - my KoAloha has no binding and it cost several times what many ukuleles that are bound cost.

But, it's your uke, and if you want to paint fake bindings, or unicorns dancing across the top, that's nobody's business but your own!

John

Aloha Cherry413,
I have a Oscar Schmidt OU-2 and I love it the way it is.....probally the same one you have coming....if you want to paint the faux bindings, just tape the edges on the top and sides and spray light coats first
so there is no bleeding under the tape....and could even spray a couple coats of clear too...have fun and let us know how it turns out.....

Top Bottom