Different tunings on different ukes

annod

Reaction score
I have been playing the uke for a few months now. these are the tunings I have for my ukes. I have different tunings for them because 1) they seem to sound best at this tuning, 2) also I have a low-ish voice and a narrow range, so tuning half-step lower fit my voice better :

1) Kelii all-koa tenor (linear B-tuning f# B Eb Ab )
2) Mele mahogany concert (reentrant B-tuning F# B Eb Ab)
3) Kala spruce-top Thinline tenor (reentrant GCEA)

So when I play with other people, or when I practice scales/ or Uncle Rod's boot camp, I always use regular gCEA or GCEA tuning.

My question is: is there any reason why it's not good to have different tunings for different ukes?

Thanks,
D

Aloha Annod,
I do that also, it's the best way to get optimun sounds out of each individual ukes and have a different personal voice for each.....besides it would be boring if all were in GCEA...
As for sticking out as a sore thumb, with others you do....but you do get noticed more and stand out...not sure if that's better....he he...Have fun and enjoy!!! Happy Holidays!! MM Stan..

I play with a local ukulele club as often as I can make it to meetings. When I am there, I always bring at least one baritone uke, perhaps a low-g and standard gCEA re-entrant tuned ukes. The bottom is filled nicely by the low-g and baritone ukes, while most of the members are playing standard tuning on sopranos. The trick is knowing that I cannot rely on learning a song by watching other people's hands when I am in a different tuning, like the bari. Of course, I have done this for decades and it no longer confuses me, but other people in the room have to get used to not looking at my hands. ;^b

My ukuleles are all tuned reentrant, Baritone in G, Tenor and Concert in C and Soprano in D.
I never understood the "low-ish voice and a narrow range" reason for a different tuning (if your voice does not fit to the song just play it in a different key), my reason is the string tension which was too low for me on my sopranos...
And since reentrant Baritone strings are hard to find I use tenor strings there. Because of the longer scale it fits to the lower tuning.

I have ukes in both low and high tuning (tenors in C and baritones in G). I have tinkered with open tunings but don't keep one tuned that way right now. I had a bari in C but found it shrill and unpleasant, so changed it to high-D tuning.

Where would you find a chord chart for the different tunings?

Roxhum

Top Bottom