Song Help Request Sunday Morning strumming

pakiboy949

Reaction score
so i know the chords/tabs for sunday morning, but though i can play it almost on point, there's something i feel is wrong with the strum pattern.

for the chords i have

4 2 2
2 4 0
2 2 1
2 2 1

as for the strumming pattern i use i use

up up chunk up down/up up chunk down/up up chunk up up up chunk up down

after the first time playing it i change it around and use

up up chunk up down/up up chunk down/up up chunk up down up

something still seems a little off though.

what does it mean by down/up?

Uhh.. what else do you think? down = strum down; up = strum up; chunk = mute/scratch whatever.

I don't know how to read your chords.. pakiboy949. When I hear the word "chords" I hear like.. G, Dm.. F, C, and whatnot.

Just check iamhawaii.com, I don't know the exact strum.

Sunday morning strumming [help]

I don't really know how to strum this song. can anyone help me? thanks afterwards :D

yeah i read it but i dont get it. can anyone like make it more clearer for me to understand? haha like of course i kno how to do the up, down, chunk, etc. but i dont know how the rhythm goes.

i just merged the threads. no need to start whole new thread. thanks.

while watching aldrine's video on it, try to follow along with the strum patterns described. there's no way to really write out how a rhythm goes here, without busting out notes on sheet music. so the best thing to do is take what you got, and do your best to follow along. the more you try, the closer you will get to the actual rhythm.

Last edited:
Woah. Sweet! I've wanted to play this ever since I saw Aldrine's video. The chords in this song are the easy part, and I've just been trying to figure out the strumming, but I'm not particularily rythmic. Thanks for the tip!

Aldrine covered the chords and strumming pattern Uke Got Mail episode 8.

Chords:
D major 7 (2224)
E7 (2242)
A major 7 add 9 (1102)

The progression is pretty much Dmaj7, E7, Amaj7add9, Amaj7add9.

I've also played it with an Amaj7, making the chord progression Dmaj7, E7, Amaj7add9, Amaj7.

He explained the strumming pattern as UP, DOWN, CHUNK, UP, DOWN. But for some reason, to my untrained ears, it sounds like he just plucks the G string with his thumb during the first down strum. So the strumming could also be UP, PLUCK G, CHUNK, UP, DOWN.

In the UGM vid, he also plays some cool little pinky-muted whatever you wanna call it during the second phrase of Amaj7add9. I haven't figured it out yet, but if anyone can figure it out, I would appreciate it.

Top Bottom