UAS... I've got a problem...

tad

Reaction score
So I just won this on ebay.

I think it's a Stromberg-Voisinet banjo uke... the inlay work in the back looks almost exactly like this S-V:

newname16.jpg

(Found here, if you're curious.)

Only some dope decided to cover up that pretty, pretty wood grain with silver paint. Some day I'll turn it into a project and refinish it. But for now, given that it's just the neck and resonator, it probably won't effect the sound too much.

I'm super excited, and wanted to share it with someone... haven't told the roommates yet, 'cause I need to figure out which excuse off deach's list I'm gonna use... ;)

Any banjolele players in this community? Any tips, advice, whatever?

Wow, she's a beaut. Aren't those things really LOUD? Your roommates are gonna love it!

That's so awesome! I can't believe you got it for that price; I usually see them sell for the mid $200 price range or higher on eBay. I hear that they are tuned exactly like ukuleles and play the same but they have that unique banjo feel and sound. I'm very jealous by the way...

For the price I don't think you can go wrong. Post some pictures when you get it please?

Definitely will do that.

Wow, she's a beaut. Aren't those things really LOUD? Your roommates are gonna love it!

Banjo ukes are pretty loud, especially ones with resonators (backs). I'm excited to have another uke that can keep up with my metal-bodied resonator uke, volume-wise...

Besides, when I want to play quietly, I can always just play my eleuke unplugged.

(BTW, nice to see another Tom Waits fan on the forum!)

That's so awesome! I can't believe you got it for that price; I usually see them sell for the mid $200 price range or higher on eBay. I hear that they are tuned exactly like ukuleles and play the same but they have that unique banjo feel and sound. I'm very jealous by the way...

Yeah, banjo-ukes tend to go for a piece. I lucked out, but I'm actually planning on making this a bit of a project uke-- I figure that working on improving an ukulele might slow my rapid acquisition of the dang things...

It needs new strings. I'm almost certain I'll need or want a replacement bridge and head. And I think I'm going to want to trade out those friction pegs with some 4:1 planetary banjo tuners. And then there's the silver paint. I'm going to want to do something about that paint, eventually, though probably not right away.

And then there's any repairs that may be necessary upon closer inspection-- I've heard it's not uncommon to have to reglue the necks on these older banjoleles, when you buy 'em off random people on ebay...

i'm planning on getting a banjo uke as one of my next additions. :) of course, i should probably settle on the spending for a while given i spent over three grand on musical instruments in the past couple months.

:eek:

what can i say. UAS has gotten the best of me.
well.
of us.

:music:

Don't do that math-- it never leads to anything good. Just spend your time admiring your pretty pretty instruments.

(BTW, nice to see another Tom Waits fan on the forum!)

Amen brotha! I was just watching some of waitswatcher's youtube videos earlier, and he does a mean Jesus Gonna Be Here on banjolele. If you haven't seen his vids, definitely check 'em out. The guy's incredible.

Crap, now I want a banjolele...

A question to any banjo uke players: should I invest in the special banjo-uke strings, or should I just use one of the several sets of high-quality uke strings I have lying around the house?

Top Bottom