Favorite Chord Progression???

mendel

Reaction score
I was struming away on my lunch break earlier and I found myself playing C, Am, F, G7. I like to strum it in different patterns, and I was curious what chord progressions you guys like to play around with. Any favorites?

I'm fond of that progression myself : )

I do that one a lot myself, but my favorites have to be the Hawaiian vamps. C= D7, G7, C ; D= E7, A7, D ; F= G7, C7, F ; G= A7, D7, G ; and A= B7, E7, A.

Kenikas- This may be naive of me, but what do you mean by "Hawaiian Vamps"? Also, I notice that you progressions have only 3 chords in them. Is that the norm, and my favorite happens to have 4, or are there usually 4 chords in a progression? I have heard in the past that it has something to do with the root chord, arpeggios, and then a 7th note from the same key. Perhaps that was incorrect.

I'm fond of A7 D7 G7 C and C E7 A7 D7 (from which you can go to F G7 C

In a different Mood D C Bm Am G is a nice riff

Mendel,
Kenikas- This may be naive of me, but what do you mean by "Hawaiian Vamps"?
Good question. Here is an answer from our UU member Mitch, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJewlLxdLLo.
I like the C, Am, F, G7 too. I tend to play songs and have favorite sections. like, G-Em-Am-D7. Thats from the first part of "The Rainbow Connection"
DAP

Last edited:
Kenikas- This may be naive of me, but what do you mean by "Hawaiian Vamps"? Also, I notice that you progressions have only 3 chords in them. Is that the norm, and my favorite happens to have 4, or are there usually 4 chords in a progression? I have heard in the past that it has something to do with the root chord, arpeggios, and then a 7th note from the same key. Perhaps that was incorrect.

I don't believe a chord progression is 4 chords. I usually think of a chord progression as the chords in a song. While 1 & 2 chord song are around one may not think of them as a progression.
One of the most common progressions is the I,IV,V7 (key of C - C, F & G7).
It is used in countless songs, is the basis of most rock & roll, country, folk and blues.

Hawaiian vamps are the II,V(7),I. You will hear them as an intro in a lot of Hawaiian songs. It sets the tempo for the dancers as well as the band.
They can also used as an outro/ending.

It is probably worth the time to learn the theory of chord numbers. I also believe in practicing chord progressions in different keys.
It not only helps in transitions, but helps you begin to hear chord changes. By practicing the chords in a particular key you will learn to move easily from chord to chord.

It is important to be able to transition between C & F or C & G7. You will find these chords together often.
There won't be many times you need to go from C to an Ebm7 for example.

I also suggest learning the "circle of 5th's" progression in various keys, it sound cool and is fun too. (key of C - C,E7,A7,D7,G7,C)

good luck and keep noodling around, it can fun and productive.

Do you recommend any resources, articles or otherwise about the theory of chord numbers? I am finding that in my playing it is obvious that the design of the Uke is genius because of how easily chords that play well with each other are oriented so well in relation to one another on the instrument. I am enjoying playing, but I am the type of person that always wants to not just play, but also be a "student of the game" so to speak.

I'm partial to C, Cdim, Dm7, G7.

However, I also like to play:

F, Dm, Gm7, C7, F, F7, Bb, Bbm6 (0333), F, D7, G7, C7, F, A7, Dm, C7, F, F7, Bb, Bbm6, F, D7, G7, C7, F, barre fret 3-4-5.

I do the above at 1 or 2 strums for each chord and 1 strum for each of the barre chords on the 3rd-4th-5th frets.

Keep uke'in',

Do you recommend any resources, articles or otherwise about the theory of chord numbers? I am finding that in my playing it is obvious that the design of the Uke is genius because of how easily chords that play well with each other are oriented so well in relation to one another on the instrument. I am enjoying playing, but I am the type of person that always wants to not just play, but also be a "student of the game" so to speak.
I'm glad others got to answer you before I got back, they did a much better explaination than I could. A couple of good chord references that I've found usefull are "Understanding Ukulele Chords" (Mel Bay book), and "Fretboard Roadmap for Ukulele". Both give a good foundation on chords without going to deep into music theory.

Lately I have been noodling around with F, Am, Dm, Bb.

Lately I have been noodling around with F, Am, Dm, Bb.

2nd Mandarb's favorite chords!

At the moment mine is F, F7, Bb, Bbdim, G7, C7, F...typical George Formby type chord pattern!

Also, any minor key pattern sounds great to me, like: Dm, C, Dm, C, Bb, F, C, Dm...ala the ol' folksong "The Cuckoo"

happy strumming mendel!!!

Aloha Mendel,
Mine is F, C7, F, F7, Bb, F, C7, F.......and so forth.. G, C, C7, F, G7, C.....another is G, C, C7, F, A7, D7, G... just a few...Have fun and enjoy!!!! MM Stan
Happy Holidays..

One of my favorite chord progressions comes from the Beatles' song, "All My Loving."

In the key of C, the progression is: Dm, G, C, Am, F, Dm, Bb, G.
(I've played the song in other keys as well, but the key of C seems to fit my limited vocal range the best.)

Here's Ukulele Mike playing this progression (the song begins at 1:58):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy0N7unQDHU

One of my favorite chord progressions comes from the Beatles' song, "All My Loving."

(I've played the song in other keys as well, but the key of C seems to fit my limited vocal range the best.)

Here's Ukulele Mike playing this progression (the song begins at 1:58):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy0N7unQDHU

Popular beatles progressions for me is F,Gm, C or F, Eb, G... MM Stan..

Great song I like this too and try to play it every day. The version I play uses G7 instead of G. I'm gonna try it with G when I get home from work. :)
DAP

The chord progression from the Beatle's "Yesterday" is high on my list but I think my all time favorite is the very simple G, Bm, C, D - it's the recurring chord progression used on the Bee Gee's "I Started a Joke." It's a bit unusual to find the third so heavily used in a song in a major key (actually, it's a bit rare to see it at all in popular music), and it really works on this one. It really sounds good on guitar, mandolin, and uke.

The uke version is pretty easy to play if you use the barre G, and super easy to play if you do it as a Gadd9, Bm7, C, D

John

I don't believe a chord progression is 4 chords. I usually think of a chord progression as the chords in a song. While 1 & 2 chord song are around one may not think of them as a progression.
One of the most common progressions is the I,IV,V7 (key of C - C, F & G7).
It is used in countless songs, is the basis of most rock & roll, country, folk and blues.

Hawaiian vamps are the II,V(7),I. You will hear them as an intro in a lot of Hawaiian songs. It sets the tempo for the dancers as well as the band.
They can also used as an outro/ending.

It is probably worth the time to learn the theory of chord numbers. I also believe in practicing chord progressions in different keys.
It not only helps in transitions, but helps you begin to hear chord changes. By practicing the chords in a particular key you will learn to move easily from chord to chord.

It is important to be able to transition between C & F or C & G7. You will find these chords together often.
There won't be many times you need to go from C to an Ebm7 for example.

I also suggest learning the "circle of 5th's" progression in various keys, it sound cool and is fun too. (key of C - C,E7,A7,D7,G7,C)

good luck and keep noodling around, it can fun and productive.

Very helpful - thanks.
That "circle of 5th's" progression is the basis of a lot of those old school 30' and 40's jazz style songs - All of me for example (...although that has a Dm instead of the D7 on the way down....hmmm)

All of the concepts mentioned by SailingUke are explained very well in the book "Understanding Ukulele Chords", which was recommended in this thread. I second that recommendation, it is clear and very easy to understand, it is perfect for those like you who wish to understand why music works the way it does.

Brad

Top Bottom