Ukulele Strap

milkjune96

Reaction score
Hey I've been playing my ukulele for about eight months now. I'd say I'm pretty good but I don't want to have a big ego or seem that way. I wondered if I could get a strap attached to my ukulele. It does NOT have a button for a strap anywhere but is that something that could be "installed?" And does it just have to be a strap that hooks on the bottom and at the top of the neck or can i get one that hooks on the bottom and on the heel?

Hope I made sense!

Send a message to Lori- I have heard fantastic things about the Uke-Leash she makes. I asked the same thing in a post not too long ago.

Well thanks for that bit of information. I'll have to check the leash out. I was wondering if there was a way for a full strap though. Similar to a guitar strap but on ukulele of course.

My husband put strap buttons on most of our ukuleles, and we get mandolin straps from www.guitarstrapsonline.com. They only required one button, and they have lots of patterns available.

I was wondering if there was a way for a full strap though. Similar to a guitar strap but on ukulele of course.

Yes. A reputable luthier or guitar repair shop can install a strap button on your ukulele. If you're handy with tools, you could probably do it yourself, but I personally wouldn't trust myself with qa drill anywhere near one of my ukuleles.

Most of my instruments have buttons on the "tail" of the body (several are electric and have a strap button / jack). I use a nylon or leather chord loop around the headstock (under the strings, above the nut) of these instruments. I have a nice round braided leather strap that I originally bought for mandolin that I added a plastic clip to one end - then all I have to do to attach the strap I originally bought for mandolin is snap the clip through the loop and put the other over the strap button on the heel as usual. One strap for many instruments.

Two other notes on straps and buttons:

1) Never leave a leather strap in contact with the body of an expensive wood instrument while it is not in use. Some finish materials are senstiive to the chemicals the leather may have been tanned with and can "turn" if left in contact for long enough. Ironically, the better the instrument the more likely the finish is to be sensitive to that sort of thing.

2) When installing strap buttons always drill a pilot hole that is just smaller than the screw threads (i.e. about the size of the body of the screw). Failure to do this can leave you looking at a nicely split piece of firewood where your uke used to be (this is especially true for strap buttons mounted in the heel of the neck). That is really the only tricky part of installing a strap button, though. If you've got the motor skills to play a uke you probably have the skills to drill a small pilot hole and screw the button on!

John

The Uke Leash is a great option that requires no ukulele alteration.
Lori is the gal that makes and ships them - she's great to work with and responds to her messages quickly!

If you can have a professional install a strap button for you, that would give you the most support. Usually, it works well to install one at the bottom of the uke, and then tie the other end to the headstock. You can install a button at the heel of the neck, but if the uke is neck-heavy, it will not keep the neck in position while you're playing, and it will be frustrating (believe me I know!). I have 3 different ukes with strap buttons installed. Since I developed the Uke Leash, I decided not to have strap buttons installed anymore. It is just my choice, since I think they look better without it. Unless the ukulele designer has incorporated a strap button into their design, I hate to alter the high end ukes. I am always hyper-nervous that some "accident" will occur during installation, since each time I go into the music store, there is someone different at the workbench. I have no idea how experienced that person is, and so I fear the worst. I am pretty handy with a drill, and have done a fair amount of model building, but I would be way too nervous to do it myself without a proper workbench vice or a drill press set up.

Anyway, Uke Leash is an option for some people. There is a new leather strap button adapter if you want to use it as a full strap. If you have any questions, just email me ukeleash@me.com

–Lori

Try the uke leash.. I bought one with a couple of extra bits for my banjolele's. Now I dont want this to sound as if I am complaining as the speedy delivery and quality of the item is very good. however I am having a bit of trouble getting used to using it. I am a fairly big bloke and as it is not too warm at presnt, I tend to be well wrapped up. When I put the leash over my right arm it does not seem to fit right. when connected to the uke it tends to want to push it towards my right arm, which I find a bit strange. I am sure I will get used to it.
Actually I think it might work better for me on a soprano, should Santa just happen to think that I might like one for chrimbo.:iwant:

Try the uke leash.. I bought one with a couple of extra bits for my banjolele's. Now I dont want this to sound as if I am complaining as the speedy delivery and quality of the item is very good. however I am having a bit of trouble getting used to using it. I am a fairly big bloke and as it is not too warm at presnt, I tend to be well wrapped up. When I put the leash over my right arm it does not seem to fit right. when connected to the uke it tends to want to push it towards my right arm, which I find a bit strange. I am sure I will get used to it.
Actually I think it might work better for me on a soprano, should Santa just happen to think that I might like one for chrimbo.:iwant:

Sounds like you maight be more comfortable with a bigger Uke Leash, so that you can have a bigger arm loop to account for extra sleeve thickness and more actual leash to traverse your extra layers of clothing.

I know banjoleles pose a special problem, because of their weight. It is possible to attach the Uke Leash as a full strap, especially if there are brackets or a tail piece that you can tie a shoe string to (then loop the shoe string through what would be the large loop used for the arm or belt loop). I don't have a banjolele to test on, but I hope to figure out a good solution for this category.

If you are using the Uke Leash as a half strap, check out the video again. If you can place the buckle so it is more on your back by your shoulder blade, the strap will lie flat and not pull around the neck area.

–Lori

Top Bottom