PDA

View Full Version : Dragon My Butt

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
12-16-2010, 07:24 AM
I couldn't ignore the obvious play on words.
This is for a special uke that calls for more than my standard butt graft.

dnewton2
12-16-2010, 07:27 AM
You done it again Mr. Moore, I don't know how but you've done it.

Nice work.

rickmorgan2003
12-16-2010, 07:30 AM
too bad he's not breathing fire as well- could lead into another pun...as always- sweet work!

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
12-16-2010, 07:37 AM
too bad he's not breathing fire as well

That'll be on the fret board and head stock.

I have some pearl detail around the side sound port as well. The real challenge is working on curved surfaces. Holding the uke between my knees while routing the cavities is no easy trick either. It's hard enough to inlay into koa. It doesn't look it but that's a days work.

tattwo
12-16-2010, 07:40 AM
Beautiful Chuck. Do you do all your own drawings?

Ronnie Aloha
12-16-2010, 07:45 AM
Amazing work Chuck. It makes me appreciated my MB even more (although I didn't think that was possible.)

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
12-16-2010, 08:01 AM
Beautiful Chuck. Do you do all your own drawings?

Yes. Well sort of. Source material will either come from the custom, Google image search, or in one of the many image files I've collected over the years. I've also got many boxes of books, calendars, cards, advertisements, etc that I take inspiration from. Others will be completely from my head. I'm not a real artist and I'm certainly not a wiz on the computer so I'm sure there are better ways. Here's how I do it.
The image is copied and printed as large as I can get it (11' X 8 1/2") then the outline is traced in pencil. Any adjustments or modifications are done at this point. The drawing is then retraced with a fine felt tipped pen. I use as fine a pen as I can find so that when the image is reduced in size the line will be super fine, allowing for a close fit of the pieces. Then the image is scanned and imported into an art program (I use iPages) and reduced in size. I'll make several sizes until I find one that fits right. When I've got a good one I will make multiple copies of the image (one or two dozen) on the same page. Like a jigsaw puzzle, each little segment will be cut out and glued onto the material to be cut and blah, blah, blah. The rest is just hard and tedious work.

SailQwest
12-16-2010, 08:05 AM
Gorgeous! Even my UAS immune husband is lusting after this one!

Mandarb
12-16-2010, 08:23 AM
Very nice. Look forward to some pics of the additional inlays.

dave g
12-16-2010, 08:29 AM
Beautiful! I haven't got the patience to even start to try to begin to learn how to do stuff like that :)

sukie
12-16-2010, 08:31 AM
blah, blah, blah...I'm not a real artist...blah, blah, blah...

One word -- Bullsh*t!

I can never stop with one word, however. You have made me the most beautiful ukulele out there. You are too an artist. A dang good one. I love your work. Your ukuleles never disappoint.

Although I will give you that it may be hard, tedious work.

Merry Chirstmas, Chuck.

I can't wait to see the finished ukulele.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
12-16-2010, 08:57 AM
One word -- Bullsh*t!

I can never stop with one word, however. You have made me the most beautiful ukulele out there. You are too an artist. A dang good one. I love your work. Your ukuleles never disappoint.

Although I will give you that it may be hard, tedious work.

Merry Chirstmas, Chuck.

I can't wait to see the finished ukulele.

Well, your uke was an exception. I guess because I don't have a degree and was never formally taught I don't feel comfortable myself an artist. Then again if I had an art degree I'd probably be teaching somewhere instead of doing what I'm doing! :)

sukie
12-16-2010, 09:16 AM
Chuck, I do have an art degree. You know what I do -- I'm the program director for a Meals on Wheels program. Yep -- putting that art degree to good use.

Vic D
12-16-2010, 09:30 AM
Chuck, do you use Laskin's filler?
You're one of my favorite artists Chuck. I have a dragon similar to that one on my left arm, stop doing that, do want. Love the way you use the patterns in the materials for the textures, just beautiful work.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
12-16-2010, 09:41 AM
No, I can't seem to get the Laskin stuff to work for me. I use artist quality alkyds in tube form. They are oil based but dry quickly. The best brands (ei Windsor Newton) are very finely ground and can get and stay in the tiny crevices. I learned the techniques as a scrimshaw artist. Oops, did I say artist? I meant scrimshander.

mm stan
12-16-2010, 09:52 AM
Once again Chuck nice work...do you use a dremel and small chisels to do the cut outs????
Btw, How long does that dragon take from drawing to finish? Happy Holidays to you and your family!!!
MM Stan...

UkeDave
12-16-2010, 09:57 AM
You are some sort of inlay wizard. period.

Timbuck
12-16-2010, 10:11 AM
I just looked up some of this "Scrimshaw Artist stuff" it's on the same level as hand engraving
plates for Counterfiet Doller bills..it's mind blowing.. look at this sample.
http://www.marinearts.com/Pages/rfweiss_bald-eagle.htm

UkeDave
12-16-2010, 10:14 AM
^^ Thats what I want " Fossil Walrus Ivory" inlay. Think that will cost me much !? haha

Pueo
12-16-2010, 10:22 AM
Hmmm, Jake has a song called Dragon. Perhaps Chuck is making an ukulele for him?

Beautiful Chuck!

As someone who has seen his shop, and his lovely home, he is definitely an artist.

I can't wait until he builds mine. I'm saving up for it, hopefully 2011!

Mele Kalikimaka and Haouli Makahiki Hou!

Timbuck
12-16-2010, 10:59 AM
Then again if I had an art degree I'd probably be teaching somewhere instead of doing what I'm doing! :)
Remember that..Orville and Wilbur Wright never had a "Pilots licence ".

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
12-16-2010, 12:53 PM
Remember that..Orville and Wilbur Wright never had a "Pilots licence ".

And Captain Cook couldn't swin a stroke.

Stan, I use only a Dremel, no knives or chisels, with carbide down cu spiral bits ranging in size from 1/32" to 1/8".

Lexxy
12-16-2010, 01:39 PM
Oh my *picks up jaw from the floor*

Flyfish57
12-16-2010, 05:32 PM
The first thing I thought was "holy crap, he took a dremel to koa with all those curves!" Very inspirational again!

marymac
12-16-2010, 08:02 PM
Yes. Well sort of. Source material will either come from the custom, Google image search, or in one of the many image files I've collected over the years. I've also got many boxes of books, calendars, cards, advertisements, etc that I take inspiration from. Others will be completely from my head. I'm not a real artist and I'm certainly not a wiz on the computer so I'm sure there are better ways. Here's how I do it.
The image is copied and printed as large as I can get it (11' X 8 1/2") then the outline is traced in pencil. Any adjustments or modifications are done at this point. The drawing is then retraced with a fine felt tipped pen. I use as fine a pen as I can find so that when the image is reduced in size the line will be super fine, allowing for a close fit of the pieces. Then the image is scanned and imported into an art program (I use iPages) and reduced in size. I'll make several sizes until I find one that fits right. When I've got a good one I will make multiple copies of the image (one or two dozen) on the same page. Like a jigsaw puzzle, each little segment will be cut out and glued onto the material to be cut and blah, blah, blah. The rest is just hard and tedious work.

I've done some stained glass work in the past and this is basically how I made patterns. Neat to know that the technique carries over to other disciplines. Thanks for the description!

ksquine
12-16-2010, 10:34 PM
How about some pics of the rest of the uke? Looks like some amazing wood there

Dominator
12-17-2010, 05:55 AM
Fantastic as always. You are some kind of special human being, Chuck.
Melekalikimaka to you and yours.

Kekani
12-17-2010, 06:31 AM
I hate (okay, hate is entirely not the right word) that you posted a dragon inlay. I just got a tattoo of one, and have sections of it inlayed on my bass that I'm building (almost done). Guess I won't be posting pics of that. . .

Honestly, I never really thought dragons belonged on instruments (even Grit Laskins), although I have an affinity for them. Of course, that was then. Nice work as usual Chuck.

Michael Smith
12-17-2010, 10:35 AM
Chuck, You could always make one of these http://www.box.net/shared/1h0r6vzsvm so you wouldn't have to hold your Uke between your legs. If I were to make one I would make the base larger so I could plant the front legs of my stool on it and maybe make a few side boxes to hold stuff.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
12-17-2010, 11:55 AM
Chuck, You could always make one of these http://www.box.net/shared/1h0r6vzsvm so you wouldn't have to hold your Uke between your legs. If I were to make one I would make the base larger so I could plant the front legs of my stool on it and maybe make a few side boxes to hold stuff.

Yes, thanks for that, I'm familiar with those. Something you need to think about when building jigs is, "How often am I going to use this thing?" The fact is I only do an end graft inlay about once a year and can't justify the time it would take to build that holding jig. Also, I decided to do that inlay on the spur of the moment. If I thought I'd have to make a jig first I'm sure I wouldn't have done it. If I built guitars I could see the necessity of it. It's good idea though. Maybe someday when I don't have anything to do.....