Dragon My Butt

too bad he's not breathing fire as well

That'll be on the fret board and head stock.

I have some pearl detail around the side sound port as well. The real challenge is working on curved surfaces. Holding the uke between my knees while routing the cavities is no easy trick either. It's hard enough to inlay into koa. It doesn't look it but that's a days work.

Amazing work Chuck. It makes me appreciated my MB even more (although I didn't think that was possible.)

Beautiful Chuck. Do you do all your own drawings?

Yes. Well sort of. Source material will either come from the custom, Google image search, or in one of the many image files I've collected over the years. I've also got many boxes of books, calendars, cards, advertisements, etc that I take inspiration from. Others will be completely from my head. I'm not a real artist and I'm certainly not a wiz on the computer so I'm sure there are better ways. Here's how I do it.
The image is copied and printed as large as I can get it (11' X 8 1/2") then the outline is traced in pencil. Any adjustments or modifications are done at this point. The drawing is then retraced with a fine felt tipped pen. I use as fine a pen as I can find so that when the image is reduced in size the line will be super fine, allowing for a close fit of the pieces. Then the image is scanned and imported into an art program (I use iPages) and reduced in size. I'll make several sizes until I find one that fits right. When I've got a good one I will make multiple copies of the image (one or two dozen) on the same page. Like a jigsaw puzzle, each little segment will be cut out and glued onto the material to be cut and blah, blah, blah. The rest is just hard and tedious work.

Last edited:
Gorgeous! Even my UAS immune husband is lusting after this one!

Very nice. Look forward to some pics of the additional inlays.

blah, blah, blah...I'm not a real artist...blah, blah, blah...

One word -- Bullsh*t!

I can never stop with one word, however. You have made me the most beautiful ukulele out there. You are too an artist. A dang good one. I love your work. Your ukuleles never disappoint.

Although I will give you that it may be hard, tedious work.

Merry Chirstmas, Chuck.

I can't wait to see the finished ukulele.

One word -- Bullsh*t!

I can never stop with one word, however. You have made me the most beautiful ukulele out there. You are too an artist. A dang good one. I love your work. Your ukuleles never disappoint.

Although I will give you that it may be hard, tedious work.

Merry Chirstmas, Chuck.

I can't wait to see the finished ukulele.

Well, your uke was an exception. I guess because I don't have a degree and was never formally taught I don't feel comfortable myself an artist. Then again if I had an art degree I'd probably be teaching somewhere instead of doing what I'm doing! :)

Chuck, I do have an art degree. You know what I do -- I'm the program director for a Meals on Wheels program. Yep -- putting that art degree to good use.

Chuck, do you use Laskin's filler?
You're one of my favorite artists Chuck. I have a dragon similar to that one on my left arm, stop doing that, do want. Love the way you use the patterns in the materials for the textures, just beautiful work.

No, I can't seem to get the Laskin stuff to work for me. I use artist quality alkyds in tube form. They are oil based but dry quickly. The best brands (ei Windsor Newton) are very finely ground and can get and stay in the tiny crevices. I learned the techniques as a scrimshaw artist. Oops, did I say artist? I meant scrimshander.

Once again Chuck nice work...do you use a dremel and small chisels to do the cut outs????
Btw, How long does that dragon take from drawing to finish? Happy Holidays to you and your family!!!
MM Stan...

Last edited:
Hmmm, Jake has a song called Dragon. Perhaps Chuck is making an ukulele for him?

Beautiful Chuck!

As someone who has seen his shop, and his lovely home, he is definitely an artist.

I can't wait until he builds mine. I'm saving up for it, hopefully 2011!

Mele Kalikimaka and Haouli Makahiki Hou!

Top Bottom