Bidding on a Banjo-Uke on eBay...What kind of strap would work well for this?

J_Tay81

Reaction score
Aloha John,
It's a small one, could be a little soft in volume...small pot. Maybe not this one....MM Stan..

Aloha John,
It's a small one, could be a little soft in volume...small pot. Maybe not this one....MM Stan..

Thanks for the head's up. I put a bid in on it, and the bidding seems to have stopped with me at the top. Unless somebody bids more in the next few hours, this puppy is coming home with me, for better or for worse. Hopefully for the better :)

I am working on an article right now for my site about the uke leash. I actually just put the part thatgoes on the head on one of the ring holders near the neck. I find that it balances pretty well. I will come back with the article when I am done and will have pics

You would not need a strap for a Lorely. This should only be between a pound and two. Openbacks tend to sit where you want them; they're easier in that regard than a standard soprano or concert uke.

Most vintage Banjo ukes were not built with a strap in mind, but if you decide to use one, you'll want to attach it to tension hooks on opposite sides of the pot. A strap with plastic locking hooks is best. A friend of mine used the shoulder strap of a Land's End canvas briefcase and that worked perfectly.

more importantly - I just saw that it closed at $94. Was it you that got it?!

You would not need a strap for a Lorely. This should only be between a pound and two. Openbacks tend to sit where you want them; they're easier in that regard than a standard soprano or concert uke.

Most vintage Banjo ukes were not built with a strap in mind, but if you decide to use one, you'll want to attach it to tension hooks on opposite sides of the pot. A strap with plastic locking hooks is best. A friend of mine used the shoulder strap of a Land's End canvas briefcase and that worked perfectly.

more importantly - I just saw that it closed at $94. Was it you that got it?!

Yep, I got it. I wanted a vintage uke of some sort for awhile now, and then I saw a YouTube video of a banjo uke and that was it. I saw this one, and thought 'Why not?' I ended up winning it and she's coming from Hawaii to chilly Omaha, Nebraska :)
Now I just need to find a case of some sort to house her in...anybody know where I can buy a case made for a soprano open-back banjo uke? :)

Last edited:
Congrats on the new banjo uke. When you get it, you could see if a Uke Leash Headstock strap would loop around one of those brackets. If so, I could rig up a strap which had a HS strap on both ends. I have made that work on a banjo, but a banjo uke sometimes doesn't have a wide enough bracket for the 1/2 inch strap. A shoe string could be helpful, or you could us a mandolin strap.

–Lori

Congratulations!! You're going to love it, I think.

Lorely is a 7" pot uke, so a soprano uke gig bag will fit it perfectly. As for cases - the hard foam nylon cases built for Concerts MAY fit, but you'll have to physically try it - don't take this on faith and go mail order; these list in the $40 to $80 range. Original hard shell cases and hard shells built for newer banjo ukes will also have to be tested to fit, but they will cost more than you paid for the uke, so i wouldn't bother with them.

I'd go with the gigbag! It's what I use for my small-pot open back.

Congratulations!! You're going to love it, I think.

Lorely is a 7" pot uke, so a soprano uke gig bag will fit it perfectly. As for cases - the hard foam nylon cases built for Concerts MAY fit, but you'll have to physically try it - don't take this on faith and go mail order; these list in the $40 to $80 range. Original hard shell cases and hard shells built for newer banjo ukes will also have to be tested to fit, but they will cost more than you paid for the uke, so i wouldn't bother with them.

I'd go with the gigbag! It's what I use for my small-pot open back.

Thanks! I'll start looking for soprano gigbags tonight. Any brands that you can recommend or just whatever's cheap?

Edit: Would something like http://www.instrumentalley.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SUPC3770&click=35 work?

Last edited:
Congrats on the new banjo uke. When you get it, you could see if a Uke Leash Headstock strap would loop around one of those brackets. If so, I could rig up a strap which had a HS strap on both ends. I have made that work on a banjo, but a banjo uke sometimes doesn't have a wide enough bracket for the 1/2 inch strap. A shoe string could be helpful, or you could us a mandolin strap.

–Lori

Hey Lori!
When I get the banjo uke, I will try to see if my existing Uke Leash headstock straps fits it at the bracket. If it does, I'll let you know :)

Top Bottom