That's right. I got a frickin mandolin

cocohonk

Reaction score
Not really sure how it happened. Saw one on a craigslist type website, there was a very, very cheap mandolin for sale, and I couldn't help myself. It's a Starsun (from what I gather on the internet, it's a laminate wood and made in china) bit dirty and dusty, but all the parts work for the most part, and for 18$ it might be fun to tinker with it. (Plus I love F-holes).

Now, I don't really have any aspirations to learn how to play a mandolin (at least, not while I'm still learning how to play the ukulele), so I'm interested to know if it's possible to convert it into a ukulele of sorts.

The funny thing is that the previous owner had already stringed the mandolin in a way that resembles a low-G ukulele (unless, given my lack of mandolin knowledge, that's how a mandolin is stringed anyway). I already tried tuning it to gCEA, and it works for the most part! And the strings don't feel too tense or loose or anything (the strings I got were just no brand generic steel strings, so maybe that's why?) Of course, I have no way to actually bar the chords with the neck, but for little ditties, it works amazingly well.

But, man, are those double steel strings a nightmare on my uke pampered finger tips. So, I took out the second string of every pair and tried it as a four stringed steel string instrument - which actually leaves a little more room on the tiny neck for my fingers to maneuver. Now I'm thinking to just try it out with some ukulele strings because I'm not so great with a pick, and hey, I'm curious. Questions:

1. Would this actually work? Or will the notes be all screwed up because the strings are all wrong?

2. Will burning the ukulele string end (and let's say I make a more complicated knot when making the loop) help it hold in the loop configuration at the bottom? Or will this just be in vain? I'm curious.

3. I'm not sure which size ukulele strings I should try. Comparing the neck next to my concert ukulele, the mandolin scale neck is actually a bit shorter, but then obviously, the entire instrument is longer and larger. And I'll probably need extra length to get the whole loop thing done in a way it'll (or might) hold. Any particular string brand that would be better for this kind of a project?

4. I'm guessing I should probably get a new nut/bridge so the strings fit better.

Anyway, this should be a weird project for the holidays.

Now I'm thinking to just try it out with some ukulele strings because I'm not so great with a pick, and hey, I'm curious. Questions:

1. Would this actually work?
Not really. Say you do manage to rig it so the strings would work with the loop thingees.

Mandos are built for those higher tension double steel strings, with thicker tops and heavier bracing than ukes. Nylon strings will not provide enough tension to get any kind of decent sound.

Aloha cocoHonk,
For $18.00 it would be for fun and just to experience it...I'd play it with all it's 8 strings.....Probally it's a cheapie with poor sound quality anyways..Have fun and enjoy...Happy Holidays...MM Stan...

I would suggest tuning your mandolin like a mandolin (which is, incidentally, the same tuning as a violin, so if your tuner has a violin setting, there you go). Yes, the chord shapes are different, but there's a certain beautiful simplicity about an instrument tuned based on the circle of fifths. I enjoy the mandolin. Its sound is quite distinct from that of the ukulele, and so it should be. Think of it this way: if you master the mandolin as a mandolin, you'll end up with another weapon in your arsenal...for $18. That's really not bad at all.

Consider learning the mandolin. It's a wonderful instrument.

I would suggest tuning your mandolin like a mandolin (which is, incidentally, the same tuning as a violin, so if your tuner has a violin setting, there you go). Yes, the chord shapes are different, but there's a certain beautiful simplicity about an instrument tuned based on the circle of fifths. I enjoy the mandolin. Its sound is quite distinct from that of the ukulele, and so it should be. Think of it this way: if you master the mandolin as a mandolin, you'll end up with another weapon in your arsenal...for $18. That's really not bad at all.

What they said. You fingers will get used to the strings, just like when you first picked up the uke. :) And it's not as difficult as you think to move what you know from the ukulele to other stringed instruments.

Whatever you decide to do, $18 is a sweet find! Good luck!

Oh, and pics or it didn't happen!

Learning a new set of chords for a string instrument will likely make you a better ukulele player because it will make you a more seasoned musician. Take the time to learn the mando as a mando. I'm all for doing some experimentation, but as it has been said before, you'll likely not get as good of a sound as you would hope for.

Check out www.mandolincafe.com for some great info on the mandolin. They have an excellent community and you really can learn a ton.

~DB

What's a Mandolin??

I agree you should take the time to learn the mandolin as it was intended. I enjoy mine very much (even though it is different than the ukulele!)

Thanks so much for everyone's input in the matter! :D I'm definitely going to check out mandolincafe.com and see what it takes to learn how to play the mandolin. Not sure if I could handle it at all, but, THAT could be my holiday project, I guess. :D

Pics will definitely be a-coming, I just need to find my memory stick reader so I can transfer them over. The mandolin is not much of a looker, there are minor scratches and whatnots, but then again, for 18 bucks, I can't complain. I do love the F-holes though! :D Ultimately, I blame the fact that my UAS has been curbed (because I'm very happy with the ukes I have), and in its place, I might have caught an evolved strain of RIAS (R and I stand for random instrument) - if the price is right. :D

On the other hand, it might be really fun to learn something new - I'm just worried that as someone who has played the uke for a while, but isn't a seasoned player by any stretch of the imagination, I might mix the two of them up and end up not advancing on either instrument. Ukulele will always be my #1 priority in terms of music playing, at least for now.

Personally, I'd just find a way to tune it like a uke.
All it takes is taking the right gauge strings to put on it.
Mandolin's default tuning is GDAE, so it's already somewhat similar.

Just get used to the steel strings, lol, they will toughen you up for uke. I'd still leave the four strings on and mess around with a uke tuning variant but I don't know crap. ;)

Had a lovely bowlback mando, tuned it like a uke, sounded LOUD, sold it, ended up with two steel string guitars a year later. Ouch. But wow callouses come fast.

Top Bottom