Koaloha soprano concert bridges change

MGM

Reaction score
I just got my latest batch of ukulele from koaloha and apparently they have finalized the soprano bridge design...Here it is
038-3.jpg

039-4.jpg

Kind of like the Kamaka tenor bridge. No problems with digging into the wood with this set up.

KoAloha certainly knows what they are doing, and I am all for new innovations, but...

It just doesn't look very secure when everything is tensioned up... especially after a number of years.

Is the second saddle attached or will it pull out?

Doesn't look like much of a break angle.

Why not just pin the strings?

John

I'll be waiting to see if the bottom side of the bridge can stand up to the stress put on it...?

Fascinating. Can you take out the saddle with the string ties?

Interesting. I love the look...but I'm also wondering how well that set up is going to hold up over time.

Interesting - I'd like to hear a technical explanation from a luthier's point of view of the reasoning behind using a "saddle" as a tie-off point. I can't imagine it is any easier to change strings, in fact, seems a bit harder if that "saddle" isn't gued in. Gonna be interesting to see these surface in 50 years with some jury-rigged replacement for that second saddle!

less wood = less money to make? Certainly easier to repair. Does the decrease in weight mean the top vibrates better?

It seems to me that KoAloha is having a little bit of an identity crisis trying to come up with a new bridge design to replace the crown bridge. I realize that the crown bridge did not come on their sopranos or concerts(except the Sceptre), but I think that I have seen four or five new bridge styles within the last four months on their various models.

The crown bridge was a signature of KoAloha and because of that I can understand why it has been difficult to settle on one style of replacement. But I think that they should come up with a design that they are happy with and stick with it. I personally like the rectangular bridge style that they had on the Pineapple Sunday with the zebra wood inlay strip. Simple, classy, and functional.

It seems to me that KoAloha is having a little bit of an identity crisis

That is what has piqued my interest. What else will be changing within the company?

Here is a picture of the bridge on my new longneck soprano that I bought last week at the KoAloha factory, date stamped Oct. 2010.

koaloha-bridge.jpg

At the factory tour, we were shown the first uke to have a bolted-on, rather than glued-in, neck.

I was also impressed by their use double-walled sides, rather than kerfing strips, and their "unibrace". Brian, our tour guide, demonstrated the strength of their ukes by standing on one.

Last edited:
Here is a picture of the bridge on my new longneck soprano that I bought last week at the KoAloha factory, date stamped Oct. 2010.

koaloha-bridge.jpg

At the factory tour, we were shown the first uke to have a bolted-on, rather than glued-in, neck.

I was also impressed by their use double-walled sides, rather than kerfing strips, and their "unibrace". Brian, our tour guide, demonstrated the strength of their ukes by standing on one.

Brian is Da Man!

It seems to me that KoAloha is having a little bit of an identity crisis trying to come up with a new bridge design to replace the crown bridge. I realize that the crown bridge did not come on their sopranos or concerts(except the Sceptre), but I think that I have seen four or five new bridge styles within the last four months on their various models.

The crown bridge was a signature of KoAloha and because of that I can understand why it has been difficult to settle on one style of replacement. But I think that they should come up with a design that they are happy with and stick with it. I personally like the rectangular bridge style that they had on the Pineapple Sunday with the zebra wood inlay strip. Simple, classy, and functional.

Pops KoAloha is a dynamic, gifted fellow, it seems. I appreciate my pineapple as a well-made, professional instrument, and yet the designer is continually exploring variations in 'uke construction. I like it. Much like custom 'ukes, there will be a line of KoAlohas with many variations. I'm confident that if one of these new ideas isn't up to the task, he'll replace it under warranty. As long as they keep making 'ukes that sound like KoAlohas, I can't see this as devaluing the brand.

While they're at it, I'd like them to put lightweight tuners on the sopranos. I put some inexpensive, mostly plastic tuners on my pineapple, and the balance is delightful. The 'uke's so light it seems delicate. (the tuners work fine, too) The switch from those huge knurled-nut tuners to Gotoh deluxes was a step in the right direction...

Pops KoAloha is a dynamic, gifted fellow, it seems. I appreciate my pineapple as a well-made, professional instrument, and yet the designer is continually exploring variations in 'uke construction. I like it. Much like custom 'ukes, there will be a line of KoAlohas with many variations. I'm confident that if one of these new ideas isn't up to the task, he'll replace it under warranty. As long as they keep making 'ukes that sound like KoAlohas, I can't see this as devaluing the brand.

Thanks Ingrate!

Top Bottom