Someone like Ukulele Mike

stuben

Reaction score
I'm new to the uke, but have been playing the guitar on and off for years. I'm finding the chords fairly quickly and have some low level picking skill. I'm looking for someone online perhaps a little more advanced than what Ukulele Mike does, but who still shows video and chord progression. Anyone have ideas where to go? I'd describe my musical taste as very eclectic, I'm 47 so that gives you the last 40 years or so to nail down. But I'm also into classical and Delta Blues. Been listening to Ray Lamontagne lately, if that helps.

By the way, Ukulele Mike has been great, highly recommend him to someone who is picking up an instrument for the first time, or like me had some musical experience and needs to get back up to speed.
Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:
wow. You must be pretty advanced if you have mastered everything Uke Mike has to offer. Of course Aldrine Guerro is our in house mentor and has over 100 vid lessons, from beginner to very advanced. He should challenge you. Of course Ken Middleton is super talented and has 100's of great vids, as well as great tabs on his site. He doesn't teach much, but Just watching him will inspire you and you will definitely pick up a lot from just watching him. Good luck. Lozark

I would not consider myself advanced at all, not in any sense of the word, far from it! I did not mean to give you that impression. And I do think Mike is great I go back to him all the time. But there seems to be a pretty big gap between what Mike presents online; with his interpretations and selected video lessons, and what I have seen so far from Ken Middleton and Aldrine, both of whom are of course amazing. Perhaps I just have not looked hard enough at what is in the lesson library with these guys.

I would not consider myself advanced at all, not in any sense of the word, far from it! I did not mean to give you that impression. And I do think Mike is great I go back to him all the time. But there seems to be a pretty big gap between what Mike presents online; with his interpretations and selected video lessons, and what I have seen so far from Ken Middleton and Aldrine, both of whom are of course amazing. Perhaps I just have not looked hard enough at what is in the lesson library with these guys.
I know what you mean, you're not finding what interests you on Mike's channel's.
Dominator has a great tab site I'm sure you can get to it easy from any of his posts. They're are other's out there and some good suggestions here in response to your post. I hope you find what you're looking for:)
DAP

Last edited:
I think it's nice to mix up what they all offer; one of these days I'll post a video of me doing "Man and the Mountain", one of my favourite songs to play by Ukulele Mike.

For my eyes and ears, Mike gives you the basics of a song and lets you run with it, which suits me down to the ground. But yes, there is a gap between what he offers to the others.

I know what you mean, you're not finding what interests you on Mike's channel's.
Dominator has a great tab site I'm sure you can get to it easy from any of his posts. They're are other's out there and some good suggestions here in response to your post. I hope you find what you're looking for:)
DAP

Precisely. Thanks for picking that up. I will dig a little deeper with Aldrine.

I think it's nice to mix up what they all offer; one of these days I'll post a video of me doing "Man and the Mountain", one of my favourite songs to play by Ukulele Mike.

For my eyes and ears, Mike gives you the basics of a song and lets you run with it, which suits me down to the ground. But yes, there is a gap between what he offers to the others.

I admire Mike for what he has done online, he has helped "revive" my musical endeavors. His work is much appreciated.

Someone has already mentioned Ken Middleton (KenMiddletonUkulele on YouTube). Ken doesn't necessarily do instructional videos, but he's good at choosing camera angles where you can see pretty much what he's doing with both hands. The same can be said for YouTube user WS64. Both do a lot of great instrumental solos. YouTube user rawuke has some great vids but the camera angles aren't always as instructional. Again on YouTube, ColinTribe and DavidBeckingham both have some videos that are pretty neat.

Actually, if you just go to YouTube and search on "ukulele" and the song or musical style you're interested in you've got a pretty good chance of turning up something useful on the first couple of pages of search results.

John

Yeah dude, people have already recommended Aldrine. I suggest you check out all his stuff especially his weekly live lesson archive (it's stickied in the UU Video Discussion Forum)

Yes Stuben, I didn't really presume on your playing ability, and I do understand your reaching out for more challenge to your learning curve. We all do that. Aaron Keim has some really nice teaching vids (nice ones on clawhammer) and daddystovepipe is awesome for really cool blues vids (and teaches well) and Glen Rose has some really cool stuff on Uke Jazz progressions. So there is a wealth of teaching materials. As Oldephart says, just google Ukulele lessons and you will find more than you can imagine. Good luck!! Lozark

Last edited:
Yes Stuben, I didn't really presume on your playing ability, and I do understand your reaching out for more challenge to your learning curve. We all do that. Aaron Keim has some really nice teaching vids (nice ones on clawhammer) and daddystovepipe is awesome for really cool blues vids (and teaches well) and Glen Rose has some really cool stuff on Uke Jazz progressions. So there is a wealth of teaching materials. As Oldephart says, just google Ukulele lessons and you will find more than you can imagine. Good luck!! Lozark

I'll check these guys out. One of the things I am enjoying most about learning to play the Uke is the community that is really making it happen, and sharing the love, so to speak. When I started playing the guitar years ago, there was no internet, (not sure if I would be further along with it or not) it sure seems easier now to get the learnin' done. An older friend of mine jokes that when he was learning to play the guitar, there were no books. Anyway, thanks for the advice.

Yeah dude, people have already recommended Aldrine. I suggest you check out all his stuff especially his weekly live lesson archive (it's stickied in the UU Video Discussion Forum)

+1
Aldrine's videos pretty much cover everything from simple to advanced.

Top Bottom