What's the most technically difficult uke song?

wearymicrobe

Reaction score
So I am trying to push myself to learn a few more styles of uke playing. I can play most of Jakes stuff though I modify it for my playing style a bit. But what do you think is the current most difficult to play ukulele song, and why?

My submission.

James Hill, Ode to a frozen boot
Holy Tar the switch from strum to scales is like instantaneous, the strum without segregation of the notes, the ability to talk and joke around while doing this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsOhmN2mpHI

I hav tried skipping stones off Dom's tabs but I cannot for the life of me get the stops and starts in like he does and I am running ~40% of his speed.

super mario bros level one by james hill seemed pretty hard to me.....just throwin that out there.

I don't know what would qualify as the most "technically difficult," Weary, but I'd gladly jump up and down and kick my heals if I could play John Kavanagh's version of "Maple Leaf Rag."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEv5ec8V7nE

BTW, I agree about James Hill's "Ode to a Frozen Boot": insane! :bowdown::eek::worship:

Have you checked out Benny Chong's solo record? Lots of amazing jazz solos on there awaiting transcription, if you're into the jazz thang! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdYWeyHIMMA

So I am trying to push myself to learn a few more styles of uke playing. I can play most of Jakes stuff though I modify it for my playing style a bit. But what do you think is the current most difficult to play ukulele song, and why?

My submission.

James Hill, Ode to a frozen boot
Holy Tar the switch from strum to scales is like instantaneous, the strum without segregation of the notes, the ability to talk and joke around while doing this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsOhmN2mpHI

I hav tried skipping stones off Dom's tabs but I cannot for the life of me get the stops and starts in like he does and I am running ~40% of his speed.

omfg... thats crazy!! looks so hard, but hard things have rewards...

The most technically difficult ukulele piece is the one you're working on now that's right on the bleeding edge of your abilities.

For some folks that's learning one of those insane pieces by Jake or James or the like.

For others it's moving on to something that has more than 3 or 4 chords.

It's a continuum, not a ladder.

Keep on strummin'!

The most technically difficult ukulele piece is the one you're working on now that's right on the bleeding edge of your abilities.

For some folks that's learning one of those insane pieces by Jake or James or the like.

Keep on strummin'!

I agree just trying to find something out there to push my limits, something that might take me a year or more to learn to play. In two or three more years I want to be at that level of play so I got to start playing a bit more complex pieces.

Keep them coming.

I agree that the James Hill stuff are pretty much impossible for me.

Mahler's Symphony No. 8 "Symphony of a Thousand" scored for soloists, chorus and orchestra, and transcribed for soprano ukulele by Maury Greenfeld.

I thinks it's on Youtube. Somewhere.:uhoh:

Keep on strummin'!

Too true. This is something of a "How long is a piece of string" type question.

It also depends on what style of music you are interested in, whether you are a singer accompanying yourself, want to purely play instrumentals, are playing in a band with other musicians etc.

Well, I've never tried any of Jame's or Jake's tunes.
Right now Greensleeves is the hardest thing I've ever tried to learn. I'm not sure if I'll ever get it right. But I'm trying real hard, every day.

For me it's Guava Jam. Someday, someday. ;)

Too true. This is something of a "How long is a piece of string" type question.

It also depends on what style of music you are interested in, whether you are a singer accompanying yourself, want to purely play instrumentals, are playing in a band with other musicians etc.

...& also if you are just beginning your journey. :)

(Presently, Londonderry Air, & Laras Theme.)

Top Bottom