Kelii Tenor Problems

Uncle Leroy

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
HI all,
I just posted a couple of days ago about receiving a new Kelii Tenor from MGM. Last night I gave it a really good looking over and discovered that the rear corner of the bridge is lifting quite a bit and the bass side of the fingerboard has an ever so slight lift to it like it didn't get glued down.
I contacted Mike and sent some pictures and am waiting for his reply. I am sure he will do the right thing. I am just a little bummed because all I had planned for this weekend was play the new Kelii and maybe doing a video review. I am just so anal about things like construction on instruments. I am really wanting to like this maker so I hope everything works out. Anybody have any experience in this area. Again, I am super impressed with Mike's communication and service and even though I am on Okinawa, I am able to receive things from Mike in only 3 or 4 days which is impressive given the military postal system and all. I guess I am just looking for some encouraging words. Thanks for listening all.

Aloha Uncle Leroy,
Aside from the those small issues, how does it sound and how is the playability???? Happy Holidays!! MM Stan...

The sound is very nice actually, a nice bit if sustain and the tone is a bit mellow, not bright and punchy like the Fluke and Flea. The action could be much better. I suspect this is due to the issues I listed in the previous post. Like I said, I really want to like this maker, but I am so anal about build issues. This is probably the result of playing guitar for 35 years and owning a million (sic) acoustic instruments. I am fairly certain Mike will make it right as it is a manufacturers issue. I really want to own a good instrument from Hawaii without breaking the bank. I got a couple of kids I am putting through college at the same time so I gotta count my pennies. I have read many good things about the Kelii brand and Mike has a stellar rep and has always given great service. Some people have commented about the Kelii neck profile being chunky but I actually find it quite comfortable and the fretwork is great as well. Happy holidays to you my friend!

Aloha Uncle Leroy,
I actually bought two Koa Pili Koko and the builder who started them sold them to a chinese company....and now makes Keli'i ukuleles...I looked at a Keli'i ukulele lamp and the Koa pili koko and they look the same.
My two ukes were spot on the intonation, and had a nice balanced tone with deep rich tones and some brightness..they had minor consistancy issues too but for the price and sound I couldn't argue....MM Stan..
Happy Holidays to you in Japan...

That's unfortunate. The Keli'i tenor I had was able to make it through the dry Minnesota winter (humidified, of course) without any issues. Hopefully this is just an isolated incident. The only ukulele I've ever had the bridge lift is a Koa Works tenor when it happened a couple of weeks after I brought it back to MN from Hawaii. The good thing about bridge lifting is that it appears to be an easy fix and after the builder fixed it for me, it has made it through two MN winters since. The wait to get it fixed bites, but the instrument should come back better then before.

As I expected, Mike has offered to replace or refund for the uke. What a great sense of customer service Mike has. I am actually leaning toward a refund so I will save a few more pennies and try another K brand later. I wasn't really too crazy about the thin body on the Kelii either. No matter what happens I will always do business with MGM first.

Top Bottom