Inexpensive Video Editing Software

Ukuleleblues

Reaction score
I am looking for some inexpensive video editing software that is a bit better than Windows movie maker and will accept Flip (non-HD) video files without convering them. I want to edit video, add sync sound from a field recorder (zoom H2) and them save the completed movie in a format YouTube wil accept. What is everyone using for that?

I'm not sure what qualifies as inexpensive for you - I use Corel Video Studio Pro and I'm pretty darned happy with it. You can download an unrestricted (except for being limited to 30 days) demo to try it out. If you like it, it's $49.99 to purchase the license.

It will do everything you're asking plus a lot more (video in video, overlays, titling, etc.). I'm just beginning to scratch the surface. If you're going to do really complex audio editing you might want to do that separately in something like Audacity (free open source audio editing software) because I think that Video Studio only supports three audio tracks and it doesn't seem to support panning between the stereo channels. If it does, I haven't discovered how, anyway.

John

I'm not sure what qualifies as inexpensive for you - I use Corel Video Studio Pro and I'm pretty darned happy with it. You can download an unrestricted (except for being limited to 30 days) demo to try it out. If you like it, it's $49.99 to purchase the license.

It will do everything you're asking plus a lot more (video in video, overlays, titling, etc.). I'm just beginning to scratch the surface. If you're going to do really complex audio editing you might want to do that separately in something like Audacity (free open source audio editing software) because I think that Video Studio only supports three audio tracks and it doesn't seem to support panning between the stereo channels. If it does, I haven't discovered how, anyway.

John
I appreciate the info and downloaded the Corel full feature 30 trial. It had a nice user interface, but about 5 hours into editing (I had a 30 minutes video), right at the end of my movie, it locked up my computer. I rebooted but the Corel software would not boot again. About 3 hours later, 3 reintalls, installs, it still would not come up. At least I got one partial video out of it. It's really too bad because I liked the interface. I searched their site and Googled it and it seems that there are some flakey problems for some folks. I have a new laptop, and everything else worked when it would not boot, so I guess it was just not for me. Too bad for them, I was ready to buy it. I really would have been po'ed if I would have bought it and 5 hours later it locked up. Thank goodness for free trials.

I hear that! Sorry it didn't work out for you. I've since found one bug in it that's fairly major but easily avoided (just confirmed it tonight, when I did it for the second time). If you import a video to the timeline and then try to play the movie before it has finished processing the new video clip it will lock up soundly, plus leave some nasty threads running that can't be killed even after you use the task manager to kill the application. They'll eat 100% of your processor time and you can't kill the threads from task manager - you have to reboot to clear the condition. It's happened to me twice now so now I know not to do that any more. It would be nice if they'd show a progress bar to let you know it's busy (even nicer if they'd prevent you from doing something that is going to lock up the machine!)

That's really unfortunate on what is otherwise a very good piece of software at a pretty reasonable price. I'm still glad I bought it - but I wish they'd fix that little annoyance. I bet it's related to the problem you had on your laptop.

John

For really simple snip and save editing with a few nice effects and titles thrown in, I used Videopad for a while. Very intuitive, very simple. Now I don't use Windows so I don't use Videopad any more, but I would. If you want small footprint, small price, and simple intuitive editing, it might be worth a look.

Bruce in Adelaide

I ended up trying all of the ones on the free list. I was redirected to Pinnacle video. I down loaded it and it seems to work pretty good. Fairly fast. I just did a 30 minute video and it didn't lock or otherwise mess up. I am going to get the $50 version. It was the new verison of Avid FreeDV, which is now called Pinnacle

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/Home+Video/Studio+Family/

Does anybody use this?

I also got an e-mail from Corel (see previous thread response) they told me to reload and turn off my antivirus. Maybe that would fix it but then I don't have antivirus on.

I am looking for some inexpensive video editing software that is a bit better than Windows movie maker and will accept Flip (non-HD) video files without convering them. I want to edit video, add sync sound from a field recorder (zoom H2) and them save the completed movie in a format YouTube wil accept. What is everyone using for that?

I can do all that on Windows MM.

I can do all that on Windows MM.
The big difference is with MM you have to convert your mov and Mp4 files to a compatible format first before you import them. Takes too long and and fills up drive space with a lot of redundant junk. The main thing I wanted to accomplish was use my native MP4 (flip) and Mov recordings in a editor. If MM would do that I would not be looking. It's too bad as MM worked fine otherwise.

Hi Nwdglo111,

The thread you commented on is 10 years old. You're not alone, I've done that as well—more than once.

As you can imagine, software has changed a lot in ten years. I use a Mac.

I do all of my video editing on my iPad on an amazing app called Luma Fusion. I think it is $30 or so now...but I do all of the ukulele play alongs with it, as well as all the other material I create. It works extremely well and makes great use out of a touch interface for editing videos.

Oops.... missed the “age” of original post . Maybe others will benefit .... -> Look into DaVinci Resolve v16... probably the most robust video editor available for free. Look for YouTube channel of Casey Farris for his tutorials.... beginner to pro.

Last edited:
Top Bottom