Tis the season to rip off

Moore Bettah Ukuleles

Reaction score
There's a thread on Uke Talk board titled "There Are Angels Among Us". I believe this and surely it is true. This time of year bring out the best in most people.
But it also provides other people with an opportunity to show the darker side of humanity.
Let this serve as a warning to anyone dealing with a guy from the UK with the initials "TC". I've been trying to collect for an uke I sent him for over a month and he has neither paid me nor responding to any of my emails. Maybe he died. It happens I guess. Just be warned.
I've always sent my ukes out before receiving any payment, then requesting payment after the customer is satisfied with his purchase. I figure it's the fair thing to do when buying an instrument on-line without being able to see it and inspect it beforehand. I guess I'll have to change that policy now and demand payment before shipping. I've lived with the Spirit of Aloha in my heart for a long time. Pretty naive huh? I never claimed to be a good business person!

That really sucks. I always thought that was a real stand up thing for you to do...I don't blame you for changing it though. People suck!

BOO!!! HISS!!!

Wow - just wow. I would have never thought a "try before you buy" plan existed in the world of the quality uke's you build. In fact, I would have thought just the opposite. I plan on signing on to a custom next year & would expect to pay something substantial before you even start.

Hope that "TC" comes through w/the payment!

Chuck,

I really feel for you, it's obvious from the work you do that everything you make has exquisite craftsmanship, and having someone disrespect that is a real blow. Contact the cops in the UK, either to follow up, or maybe they can help find out if anything happened to the "buyer".

And seriously, demand a deposit...it's not unexpected from buyers, and you can always return it if they return the uke. Your time, skill and effort are worth it.

Mr. Moore,

When I do eventually order my ukulele from you, and, of course, only if this is ok with you, I will come to you to pick it up, and I will pay you on the spot, quite happily, in any currency or combination of currencies you choose.

(Of course, I'd also love to come over at the beginning so you can get a feel for who I am and to work out with you what I want! *grin*)

No one should have to put up with this nonsense, especially just before Christmas.

Sorry you're dealing with this.

So sorry to hear that Chuck.
Be sure that you give everyone here a detailed description of the ukulele so that if he tries to move it on EBay/ CraigsList or whatever we can keep our eyes peeled for it and try to get this guy.

That just sucks.

How can TC live with himself?

I am so sorry to hear about this. I hope that you finally hear from him and this is all resolved soon!

I had success with invoking ho-oponopnohttp://www.ancienthuna.com/ho-oponopono.htm once. While in Hawaii and the issue was resolved fairly.

This really excellent advice for everyone! I'm a believer in the practice of ho'oponopono and have used it successfully in the past after reading Dr. Hew Len's book on the subject. It really works and is compatible with the way I like to think I live and work. Thank you for the reminder. Aloha !!!!!!!

I am sorry to hear this chuck... I do hope that this person will stand up and make good with you... Really stinks.... I believe that Karma will indeed come around for both you and 'TC'

I'm a big believer in Karma, but a bigger believer in collection agencies for $1000+ debts. The 30% collection cost is worth it. Surprising how many people will ignore your calls and letters but soon as an agency letter arrives, payment is made.

I'm a little sorry I started this thread. I don't want this to turn all humbug. I didn't do it to grumble or whine. OK, maybe just a little but. My intention was to warn others, especially those who build and sell ukuleles, that there are people who take advantage of others especially this time of year, which can be a difficult time for so many.
But this thread has served as a selfish reminder to me of how many wonderful people I've met in my "profession". I've met many interesting people and have made life-long friends of many of my customers. If I've helped to instill some trust and the Spirit of Aloha by conducting business the way I do, then so much the better. 99.99% of you I'd like to hang out with! Many of you I have. Being burned on one uke out of the hundreds I've made isn't going to destroy me. I'm over it. There are things we can learn from any of life's situation if we choose to.
Mahalo to those who've commented & Merry Christmas.

Hey Chuck, you might want to look into escrow.com. The buyers puts the money in when the order is made, when you ship it to them they have a certain time to review it before the funds are released. If they aren't satisfied, there is a dispute resolution process. Reasonable fee, and it protects all parties.

Chuck,

First, let me say that I think it's fantastic that you're able to work that way...sending out the instruments, especially your very expensive instruments, without payment up front. I respect you for that, although I suspect you may want to change that policy now that word is out about that. I'd hate to see you put in all that work again for some scumbag.

That said, could you post any photos of the instrument? There's a chance the guy might try to sell it, and it would be nice if we here in the community could keep an eye out for the stolen merchandise (because that's exactly what it is).

-Pete

Sorry to hear that Chuck, I had a recent aggravation with a customer as well and initially thought it was the same person you were talking about. The vast majority of uke players are such good folks, it's a shock when you find one that isn't.

That said, could you post any photos of the instrument? There's a chance the guy might try to sell it, and it would be nice if we here in the community could keep an eye out for the stolen merchandise (because that's exactly what it is).

-Pete

I was thinking the same. There's no way on earth that uke can surface without the uke community seeing it. Chuck, you've got great ethics, hope all turns out well. Do post pics.

Aloha Chuck,
Sorry to hear about the bad news...it always just takes one to change things and our perspective...Generally all ukers are cool!!! Maybe if you post pictures and I hope any of our uu members living by this
guy check him out......you could file a theft report with the police where he lives too, if you do not hear from him in a certain time limit... Good Luck!! MM Stan..

Sorry to hear that Chuck, I had a recent aggravation with a customer as well and initially thought it was the same person you were talking about. The vast majority of uke players are such good folks, it's a shock when you find one that isn't.

Yeah, that's exactly the way I feel. People who are into the ukulele are pretty cool people. By giving the guy's initials and general location I was hoping to reach out to people like you who ship ukes out regularly.
But the following will prove just how cool this community is. I've just received an email from a customer of mine in London who happens to be an attorney who assures me that he can resolve this situation to my satisfaction. Sometimes just having the right letterhead helps. He also wanted me to know that, in the Spirit of Aloha, he will take care of it for free, after Christmas. Thereby restoring my faith in both people and lawyers!
Book 'em Danno! Case closed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom