4th of July at Ala Moana Shopping Center

acabooe

Reaction score
Aloha Everyone,

Yesterday, my family and I got to spend a few fun filled hours at Ala Moana shopping center.

We came to watch the live music concert, and then after the firework show over magic island in the distance.

The show started at 5:30 with Bruce Shimabukuro. He played 5 songs, he 1st 4 of which were on Guitar, and the last was on his Ukulele. He is a great performer, and very friendly.
After he was done, I was lucky enough to get his attention and call him over.
I got him to sign my Ukulele and also, I got my picture taken with him and his drummer.

The next group was the ever lasting Makaha Sons. They also performed 5 songs, including the ever popular white sandy beach of Hawai'i. In the later songs, the daughter of one of them got up and started to hula on stage to the music. When they were done, Again I was able to get the attention of two of them. I got John and Gerome to sign my Ukulele, but unfortunately I wasn' fast enough to catch the attention of Moon Kauakahi. Oh well, there is always another time.

The next performers was the band 10 feet. They ( like all the others ) did 5 songs including their new version of Jason Mraz's "I'm Yours". They were funny, because in between songs they would tell jokes and funny stories. It was a great time. When they were done, I saw one of them walking by ( behind the security gate ) and was able to get his attention. I asked for his autograph, and he called the rest of the guys over. So I got everyone from 10 Feet to sign my Ukulele, and take a picture with me.

Next up after them was this guy named Makana. Admittedly I had never heard of him before yesterday, but he is very talented. He plays the Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar ( which is just a regular guitar with the strings tuned lower so that they have more play when you pluck them ) and his music is something that you wouldn't expect to hear from a guitar, but it was very enjoyable. I think the coolest part of his set was when a lady ( one of the producers I think ) snuck up behind him while he was playing on stage, and put a blindfold over his eyes. He said " Hey, this wasn't in the contract", smiled, and continued to play his last song without once looking at... well any thing. After he was done, I went back over to the edge of the security gate, and was able to get him to sign my Ukulele too.

After Makana was "Uncle" Willie K, who was in my opinion the best performer of the night. He did 5 songs from a variety of genres including Irish, Middle Eastern, and Japanese music. He was the funniest performer too, because he would be telling jokes, and stories as a segway into the next song he would do. After he was done, I called him over, and even though he was using a cane, he smiled and slowly came over ( even though it looked like the steps were painful). I asked for his autograph, and he looked touched that someone wanted him to give it. I got the feeling from him that is is humble and nice. He signed my Ukulele, thanked me for watching his show, and walked on to the VIP section.

The last performer was Raiatea Helm and her band. Brian Tolention was playing up there with her too. She did some nice Jazz influenced songs sung in Hawaiian. For the last few songs, she had her father come up on stage and the two of them sung a few duets in hawaiian. It was very pretty sounding music. When she was done, the event coordinators said that the fireworks were about to begin. Looking around, my wife and I noticed that many of the windows in the appartment and office buildings were lit, and the occupants were, like us, eagerly awaiting the fireworks.

All of the lights turned off, and they were getting ready to watch the show.
Since there were no lights, I took this time to cross the security fence and go ask Raiatea for her autograph. She happily signed my Ukulele and then I went back to watch the awesome firework show with my wife, son, and brother in law.

It was a beautiful and moving show. While we stood watching the now empty stage was blasting ( and I do mean blasting ) patriotic music such as God Bless America as well as others.

Then it was over, and we ( along with the other 10,000 people ) made our way back to our car in the parking garage and started the long drive home. It was a wonderful night, and I hope to go back next year.

Below are a few pics from last night, I hope you all like them.

Aloha
Acabo'oe

Bruce Shimabukuro playing "Bits and Pieces"
DSC09088.jpg

Me, Bruce, and his drummer
DSC09090.jpg

Makaha Sons
DSC09093.jpg

10 Feet
DSC09095.jpg

More Pics

Me and 10 feet
DSC09098.jpg

Makana
DSC09101.jpg

"Uncle" Willie K
DSC09102.jpg

Raiatea Helm featuring Brian Tolention and Rai's Father
DSC09109.jpg

Here are the pics of my Ukulele.

You may remember that I had already had it signed by Jake Shimabukuro

In this picture, starting at the G string side of the fret board, and going counter clockwise the signatures are:

Jake Shimabukuro
John Koko ( Makaha Sons )
Bruce Shimabukuro
Gerome Koko ( Makaha Sons )
Raiatea Helm
Makana
Willie K

DSC09112.jpg

And in this pic, you can see that every member of 10 Feet signed the back of my Ukulele.
DSC09113.jpg

Aloha
Acabo'oe

Last edited:
Top Bottom