Stromberg-Voisinet?

Swedgin

Reaction score
I posted an ad for a Banjo uke on Craigslist, and I got a response. Seller says it's a Stromberg-Voisinet from somewhere between 1921 and 1930. I'm a new uke player (less than one month). Any help would be appreciated.

Here's what was said about it:
good condition with case. has elton resonator, closed back,good skin. fret board completely covered with what looks like mother of pearl. neck & body looks like walnut. has lighter inlay.

They had it looked at and found this out:
Its a Stromberg-Voisinet.it was made between 1921 and 1930.In 1931 this became the Kay musical co. the fret board and peghead is covered with pearloid.

IMG_2119 by AtomicPope, on Flickr

IMG_2116 by AtomicPope, on Flickr

IMG_2117 by AtomicPope, on Flickr

Higher res photos can be found by clicking on the pics.

So what do you think? Good Deal? Bad Deal? See anything wrong with it from the photos?

Last edited:
I would throw $200 at it in heartbeat, but that is just me- looks like it is in really good nick. Resonators are LOUD...but loud is often good.
There is a member on here, Jnobianchi, who will chime in shortly I am sure- I am certain he can tell you a lot about it. From where I am at- it is really pretty, and a definite go

Thanks for your opinion. I want to buy it, but I wasn't sure about it. I figure if nothing else, I could just hang it on a wall.

Hello, if it looks as good in person as it does in the pictures, I would buy it even if it had no name.
The pearloid fingerboard is affectionately known as MOTS (mother of toilet seat). LOL

Bill

That's definitely a Stromby. Looks like the exact same thing as mine. Those things are AMAZING!!! I really don't know if it's a good deal, I got mine for free!

I'd grab it; if it looks as good in person as in the pictures...

MAN - you got a complete STEAL.

It is a Stromberg-Voisinet, but it's one of the two most rare models. This one is colloquialy known as the "Buster Brown" because a version of it with a Buster Brown comic decal was pasted onto the vellum and given to Buster Brown shoe stores to help sell shoes. The other sought after model is known as the "Rose". Both of these models are hard to find and generally have moved in the $450-500 range on retail.

Not only is there nothing wrong, there seems to be a lot right. Only issue I can see: get rid of the steel strings but quick and replace with a set of Aquilas or La Bella Senoritas ( I find that these strings work better on my two Stromberg Voisinets than Aqulia Banjo uke strings, which I would avoid because of the narrow chord of SV's necks).

You got an absolutely fantastic deal!! I can send you a file with photos of more than 20 individual SV banjo ukes if you want to see what other styles they produced in addition to your own.

thanks for the input everyone. I pick up the uke tomorrow. I can't wait to get it in my hands!

Aloha Swedgin,
Awesome and Cool, what a lucky guy.... I guess it never hurts to post a WTB .....You never know what deals turn up..Have fun and enjoy!! Happy Holidays! MM Stan..

Great Find! Enjoy it and post a few clips.

I picked this up last night. and it's in good shape. the neck is a little loose on it, and there is a small tear in the head (you can see it in the photos at the 9 o'clock mark in the second one). It's good and loud, but it won't stay in tune. I have to get it set up (shich I am working on). Right now it's in about 6 different parts. the dowel had come unglued from the neck. Someone along the way shoved a cardboard shim bewteen the neck and the rim to stop the movement. Right now I'm waiting for the glue to set up, and try to put it all back together.

The rim and the resonator have shined up pretty good. I couldn't do anything with the tailpiece, so it's a bit rusty.

The friction tuners are a bit of a pain that will take some getting used to.

Hopefully once it's back together, everything will work out.

I'm optimistic

Those little dremel polishing wheels work great for rubbing rust off small parts like that tail piece.
Seems to me that the acquisition of a banjo uke starts a whole new hobby for owners-repair, but it is fun to learn

After not showing this the love it deserves, I am thinking of selling this. Look for my post in the Marketplace very soon!

probably sell the other 2 in my signature as well.

Top Bottom