Famous Brand Soprano Pineapple Uke

Uncle Leroy

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hey all,
I have been playing Tenors lately but have been thinking if I could find a good soprano I would get it. I ran across this one today in a second hand shop. Grand total $35.00. I know that the famous brand is big in Japan but I don't know much more than that. It is in great condition and the Koa looks great. Does anyone know much about these? Also can anyone recommend a good type of strings for a soprano? Thanks
DSCF0089.jpgDSCF0091.jpgDSCF0092.jpgDSCF0088.jpgDSCF0093.jpg

Pippin,
I am glad to hear you are feeling better. This little thing really sings, it has it's own personality if it that makes sense. I think I should put new strings on it though.

Wow that is real nice looking, don't know about Famous ukes but my soprano (mahogany not koa) sounds best with Worth brown medium tension strings. I got a made in Japan uke off eBay real cheap, the brand is Champion and I think it sounds great, not koa or mahogany I don't even know what the wood is (that one likes Aquila strings). Japan has been making ukes for a long time and some of them are very well made and can be found really cheap, yours looks like a really nice instrument and for 35 bucks.... great deal!! As far as strings I recommend trying both Worth medium and Aquila (get the concert; soprano are too thin) some ukes just sound way better with one than the other.

I believe that Famous and Kiwaya are one and the same. I think that Famous is the brand name that Kiwaya sells under in Japan. I actually think that Famous existed first and that they adopted the name Kiwaya to sell here in the states. I could be wrong, so if anyone else has any insight, please chime in.

dkcrown is correct essentially correct. Here's a link: http://www.kiwayaukuleles.com/kiwayajapan.html

You got an unbelievable deal!!! Enjoy your pineapple.

I was going to post that link but hmgberg beat me to it. I had been looking for a pineapple, and got a Luna from Ebay. (See same link). I hope yours turns out better than mine. I sent it back this morning because of an open back to side seam, one loose and one missing brace and the bridge had been re-glued ( in the wrong place).

Bill

Bill:

I was looking at that Luna, myself. Sorry it didn't work out for you. What a drag.

Leroy:

I prefer Worth CMs on my sopranos.

That is an absurdly good deal congrats

What a great deal and such a pretty uke! I do like Aquila strings on most of my sopranos. IMHO, I don't find the soprano stings to be too thin as compared to the concert strings. I have also just started using the new Martin Flurocarbon strings and I like them a lot. To me, they sound a little "warmer" as compared to Aquila which on some uke's Aquila can just be too loud and punchy.

Top Bottom