UAS Justification

ukejack82

Reaction score
Sorry, title should have read UAS Justification. Hope I do not get busted by the moderators as the title implies something totally different ;)

While on a mini-holiday with my wife, I came upon a way to justify UAS. Being empty nesters, we eat out a lot and have always ordered tea. Where we live, that can run $4 to $5 USD for both of us. By switching to water we can save $4.50 * 10 dining outs/week = $45 USD a week. It does not take too long to save up enough for another ukulele.

And the best part, my wife is all for it. :D

Last edited:
Sounds more than reasonable to me!! does she want a uke too? You could save up pretty fast.. Let us k now what you get!

Learn to cook, you'll have your new uke right away.

Home made pasta, still even faster. It tastes great as well, you can do it together, and it keeps you home longer so more opportunities to practice.

Bruce the famous home-made pasta maker from Adelaide

As a college student, I'm intimately familiar with the value of Ramen noodles. You can buy that stuff in bulk. If you don't mind the scarily-high sodium content that is:)

Eating Ramen, you could buy all of us on these forums a new uke in no time flat!

A 1lb bag of pinto beans and a pound of extra-lean hamburger will run you about five bucks. Throw it in the crockpot with a bit of spices and it makes five to seven very healthy, nutritional meals (way better than ramen noodles). (Brown the meat before tossing it in the pot.)

John

Well you COULD just buy cheap food - or grow it, I suppose. I reckon you're on the right tack, though. To make it work even better obvious - put the savings/income in a seperate account.
I've got it covered these days with busking money. We rarely make much but every little bit of ukulele money that comes in goes straight to a ukulele account. I buy strings out of it a bit and sometimes accessories like straps. Even if it's only five bucks I put it in there.
You'd be surprised how quick it builds up. I just bought a Bushman Jenny Baritone (in US$, mind - $NZ1=about $US.73 ). Only took a few months to build up the money.

I could afford all sorts of ukuleles if we did not go out to eat as much as we do, but this is something my wife really loves. She is deaf and is not into music, but she has really supported me in my passion. I want to make her happy so the dining out will continue. But I think we have hit on a good compromise.

OldePhart, you got me craving some good home made beans. I love it with cornbread and a big ole wedge of onion. Mmmmmmmmmmmm!

J_Tay81, I lived on Ramen noodles when I was in college over 25 years ago. It was all I could afford at the time. Good luck with your studies.

Top Bottom