Electric upright basses

ichadwick

Reaction score
Anyone play an electric upright? Im interested in several electric upright bass models that intrigue me, including three-four and even five-string models.
Dean Pace makes one that really interests me:
DeanUprightPaceBass.jpg

Which seems quite playable according to this review. Traditional four-string tuning. Then there's the Stagg 3/4 electric upright:
stagg2.jpg

There are others, too. I'm also serious looking at the Kona Walking bass. It's only three strings, and tuned in an open G tuning. Not sure if I should look at that as an option or a standard bass. Seems that as an accompaniment to uke, the Kona might be very good.
xmas.jpg

Anyone here play one of these? Would like some comments on them, if so.

I would love to hear what anyone has to say about these too.. My youngest son just started playing the upright in school. We transport it back and forth to school because well they are just expensive to buy and rent and we didn't want to commit to anything until we knew if he liked it. Would also love to know if this is a viable option for young son at home, playing a traditional at school? (maybe I could get him a ubass... ha ha)

My band mate had the three string. She sold it. Just didn't do it for her. The full acoustic upright looks so nice on stage albeit a pain to transport.

Fitncrafty - my daughter started on electric and plays upright also, with no problem. I was amazed the first time she tried the upright, (it was at a gig and we were on stage, I was like, "Are you crazy, what are you doing?") and she is able to go back and forth with no problem. You can find a used electric and small amp for at home very cheap.

Anyone play an electric upright? Im interested in several electric upright bass models that intrigue me, including three-four and even five-string models.
Dean Pace makes one that really interests me:
DeanUprightPaceBass.jpg

Which seems quite playable according to this review. Traditional four-string tuning. Anyone here play one of these? Would like some comments on them, if so.

Hi Ian, I have a Pace bass. It has the lightest action of any bass I own. It sounds really good through my GK amp, but not as good through the Hartke (?). The fingerboard is flat, as opposed to the radiused fingerboard on the acoustic uprights. Not a problem, just different. The only negative comment I have is about the case. It is the cloth over styrofoam type like a lot of ukulele cases are made. With the metal stand and the bass, the case seems a little light weight. Certainly not Airline Approved.

fitncrafty, it has a 35" scale length, where as a standard upright has a 41" or so scale length. Kind of like the difference between a soprano, concert or tenor. It just takes getting used to the finger spacing.

I am playing bass with a "Traditional" Bluegrass band right now and the bass is not getting played. They wouldn't think of an electric instrument on stage. I would part with it for $400 if anyone is interested.

Bill

My band mate had the three string. She sold it. Just didn't do it for her. The full acoustic upright looks so nice on stage albeit a pain to transport.

Fitncrafty - my daughter started on electric and plays upright also, with no problem. I was amazed the first time she tried the upright, (it was at a gig and we were on stage, I was like, "Are you crazy, what are you doing?") and she is able to go back and forth with no problem. You can find a used electric and small amp for at home very cheap.

Does your daughter play with a bow too?

Does your daughter play with a bow too?
No. She started out on electric. She's messed with a bow, but the two bands she's in (Punk and Tropical Rock/Hawaiian) don't need a bow. I can see how that would be a definite deterrent for your son getting an electric.

Had a short experience with the Stagg EDB this afternoon. Drove 60km to a music store on Boxing Day to try one out. Neat instrument. Bigger than I expected. Smaller than a double bass, of course, but still pretty tall. They had had a fretless electric bass too, but seem to have sold it since I called them last week. Wanted to compare the two - the fretless was similar to the Dean Pace, I understand. Wish I had been able to compare the two, though.

My very first bass was an electric upright, an old Framus in a very bad condition.
But it was a great learning experience, and after that old fretted basses somehow seem wrong to me.
I would like to have one again, but these beasts are so big and tend to destroy all carpets...

Well, I don't have carpets to worry about, and while bigger than a uke, none of the beasts I've looked at are close to big compared with an upright bass.

There is always the Bogdon Cardboard Bass Kit. Here is a "shoot out" with traditional upright bass.

I think hey include a simple piezo pickup.

Last edited:
There is always the Bogdon Cardboard Bass Kit. Here is a "shoot out" with traditional upright bass.

I think hey include a simple piezo pickup.
I looked at these,as well as some other "homemade" or custom/workshop instruments. Pretty ingenious. But only two or three strings. I think I want four, maybe five. But otehrwise, very tempting - and a fraction of the cost of a factory-built instrument. However, it does make me wonder about building one...

I think in a house full of cats, any box is at risk... but tomorrow I have to go to Toronto, and will stop at a music store that has a few Stagg EDB so I can play around some more and see if it's something I would like to work with.

Hi,
I have an EUB (electric upright). It's the Ergo. 41" scale. It can use the 1/2 size Corelli strings which makes it capable of playing arco. Yes, it's much easier to transport and stores in a small space. It's sort of like a stick with bass strings on it, but actually nicely made. Jesse Blu makes them in Tennessee. Hand-made by him. It attaches to a very solid, sturdy stand.

They have a great reputation among inexpensive EUBs. If you go to www.talkbass.com and check out the Ergo megathread, there's a lot of info there (go to the Doublebass, then to the Electric Upright section).

I'm really happy with it. I haven't been able to play it due to my upper back and hand injuries, but it's a great bass. I also have the Kala UBass. Sounds a lot like a double bass, but easier on my body!

Jill

Thanks. I signed up for talkbass and read a lot of threads, but didn't look at the Ergo. I saw the Ergo on its Web site, but it's a little more expensive, has no Canadian dealers, and would cost extra for shipping to Canada, so I didn't really pay it that much attention. I'll take a look again, after your recommendation.

I did spend a little time at another music store tinkering with the Stagg, earlier this week. Almost convinced myself to get it, but didn't want to leave it in my car while I did some business in the city. Might go back, but will check the Ergo first.

Top Bottom