Purpose uke

Doctroid

Reaction score
I've forgotten where I first heard about Passports With Purpose. I thought it was here, but maybe not because I can't find any mention of it on these forums, which is odd.

Quoting,

Passports with Purpose is an annual Travel Bloggers’ fundraiser. In 2009, 90 bloggers participated and raised almost $30,000 to build a school in rural Cambodia (complete with a school nurse and a kitchen garden that provides each child a daily meal). In 2010, we have set our sights even higher. With your help, we will raise $50,000 to build a village, brick by brick, in rural India through our partnership with Friends of Lafti.

So what does this have to do with ukes? The way the fundraiser works is, each blogger arranged for donation of a prize, and donors got to enter the drawing for a prize for each $10 they donate. There were tons of prizes -- many of them travel related, as you might imagine -- free stays in various hotels, cruises, air travel vouchers, luggage, and so on; or how about a zeppelin flight? There was the almost inevitable iPad. Oh, and a ukulele. One of the bloggers was Pam from www.nerdseyeview.com and the past couple years she's sponsored a ukulele as a prize. This year's uke prize was a Flea.

Great idea, right? Using the power of blogging to raise money for a very worthy cause. I was happy to make a donation myself.

I was even happier yesterday when they announced the winners. I'm getting the Flea!

This year's fund raiser is over but watch for it next year -- I'll try to remember to post something about it here, if no one else does. I plan on donating again, but maybe I'll try for a different prize and let someone else win the uke.

Last edited:
It's here!

5303823615_6aca0c066b_z.jpg

And, as requested, not Bubble Gum Pink! Actually it's the green which was my first choice.

Black frets and friction tuners will take some getting used to. It's a factory second and I think I see why, but it's pretty subtle. Nice! I'm thinking of changing the Aquila strings to Fremont Blacklines. Or should I put them on my Kala spruce top lacewood?

Thanks again, Pam!

congratz on winning your new uke. I would be willing to donate to for this charity. well done in participating in a good cause and hopefully many of us can join you next year.

it is always great to support a good cause.

Top Bottom