Best Bossa Nova Uke

Kaimiloa

Reaction score
I'm interested in what you folks think would make the perfect ukulele for playing Bossa Nova tunes on. Size, tonewood, strings, etc.

This may not be the answer you are looking for, but I don't think it has anything to do with which ukulele you use. The main factors that will determine whether it is a good bossa nova is what notes you play and how well you play them.

I have to agree with Ken. Check out some of his vids, he knows of what he speaks.

First of all... Ken, I love your videos. Thanks for sharing your art with the public.

I understand what you guys are saying. The instrument doesn't play itself.

Maybe I should rephrase my post. "What is your favorite uke to play Bossa Nova on?" Just, which of your instruments do you connect with for this type of music. I'm not looking for "Ken says that _____ is what you should use."

Side note... I've only played on a beat up classical requinto guitar and am heading back to my roots. My parents were in a ukulele group in the 70's and I took lessons, as well. The school that I work at has 30 Kamaka ukulele for the kids. They don't know how good they've got it.

First of all... Ken, I love your videos. Thanks for sharing your art with the public.

I understand what you guys are saying. The instrument doesn't play itself.

Maybe I should rephrase my post. "What is your favorite uke to play Bossa Nova on?" Just, which of your instruments do you connect with for this type of music. I'm not looking for "Ken says that _____ is what you should use."

Side note... I've only played on a beat up classical requinto guitar and am heading back to my roots. My parents were in a ukulele group in the 70's and I took lessons, as well. The school that I work at has 30 Kamaka ukulele for the kids. They don't know how good they've got it.

OK, I'll try again. If I were choosing a uke to play Brazilian dance music, I would want something with a full tone and a rich vibrant sound. I would probably go for a tenor uke with a solid cedar top. Of the instruments I have available, I would maybe go for an Ohana TK-50G.

Hi Kaimiloa

A different take on this very difficult question - I prefer a low-G ukulele to a high-G. You do get a wider range of notes, and in Bossa Nova, you need a good bass line to denote the rhythm. To me, on a low-G, I can definte the bass better. Of course, I always struggle that a low-G ukulele sounds more like a guitar and I lose the unique ukulele sound.....

I wrote out TAB for Manha de Carnaval (Black Orfeus) on low-G
http://www.chiefnoda.com/ukulele

Cheers
Chief

The school that I work at has 30 Kamaka ukulele for the kids. They don't know how good they've got it.

Not to hijack the post but... I'm curious about that music program.

Cletus... We're a small K-12 school on the Big Island (Hawaii). We have a fairly new, beautiful Band Room, stocked with instruments of all kinds, and we've never had the funding for a music teacher. This year, we freed up our computer guy (and musician) to teach one section of Ukulele, each day. He has a group of about 20 students who learn, play, compose music, and perform on the ukulele. The ukulele are issued to each student for school and home use.

Cletus... We're a small K-12 school on the Big Island (Hawaii). We have a fairly new, beautiful Band Room, stocked with instruments of all kinds, and we've never had the funding for a music teacher. This year, we freed up our computer guy (and musician) to teach one section of Ukulele, each day. He has a group of about 20 students who learn, play, compose music, and perform on the ukulele. The ukulele are issued to each student for school and home use.

How cool is that!:D Thanks!

Top Bottom