Why Does Every Christmas Song Have So Many Chords?

BWAAA-HAAA - that was great! I'd never heard that song before. It's this time of year that makes me really glad I've switched to bass!

John

That was great! Fun! Well done. I like your voice, like the arrangement. Hey, what size uke was that? Just kidding, guitars look huge after getting used to looking at ukueles.

Roxhum

Absolutly beautiful. I'll be laughing 'til Christmas. I am going to pass this along to all my pickin' buddies !
Is that a D-42?

Bill

Haha! Because most of them were written in the old days before we all became chord-wusses... :)

Ha ha, yeah. why? Great guitaring too:)
DAP

This is wonderful! Great job and thank you for posting!!

HAH! Too funny and so true! By the way, that's one blingriffic guitar and it sounds great.

Seriously, I've struggled with the issue you sing about. I think sheet music for many traditional songs comes out or came out with piano/organ in mind, and when they throw the guitar chords in as an afterthought, it just doesn't work out the way our hands like it!

Good singing - great playing - my hands hurt just watching...

HAH! Too funny and so true! By the way, that's one blingriffic guitar and it sounds great.

Seriously, I've struggled with the issue you sing about. I think sheet music for many traditional songs comes out or came out with piano/organ in mind, and when they throw the guitar chords in as an afterthought, it just doesn't work out the way our hands like it!

Good singing - great playing - my hands hurt just watching...

The guitar is a 1970 El Degas MT19 (Martin D45 copy). El Degas was a name B&J (Toronto) used on guitars they had made in Japan (and later in the 80s Korea). The jap copies were so good they were getting sued all the time by Martin, Gibson and Fender. They were just as good but a fraction of the cost. The MT19 was their top model and made with African Jacaranda sides and back and a spruce top. I have had many a Martin owner interested in a trade - but that won't happen.

Most songs, especially those written for keyboards, need to be adapted for the guitar. Usually the key needs to be changed for my vocal range anyway. The "guitar chords" written at the top of piano music is only a reflection of what the piano part is playing and doesn't always mean you have to play what's written but you need a little theory (OK a lot....) to determine the best way to play the song on guitar.

Absolutly beautiful. I'll be laughing 'til Christmas. I am going to pass this along to all my pickin' buddies !
Is that a D-42?

Bill

No. It's a 1970 El Degas MT19 copy of a D-42 or D-45. I do know Martin tried to sue B&J (owners of the El Degas name) because their copy was so good for a lot less money!

Top Bottom