Uke speak

rem50

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I am new to this as you will see by my question. I see people posting and using the term UAS..... ok , I give up, what does that mean?

thank you! Ha! Yes I have it! 3 ukes in one month! I bought a kala soprano followed by a cordoba concert and topped off with a KoAloha concert scepter! So I am afflicted both theoretically and physically! thanks for the prompt reply!

Yep. That's how it starts!

Hi REM, welcome!
We all have it to some degree. I try to limit myself to one per month. I am now up Feb 2011;)

Yep. That's how it starts!

If my kids would decide to quick guitar and violin lessons.... I would have oh so much more money for ukes... Ah it's worth it!

Hi REM, welcome!
We all have it to some degree. I try to limit myself to one per month. I am now up Feb 2011;)

Too funny... so you holding out until March 2011?

I'm starting to think about moving up to CUAS (Custom Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome), but I think I have a few more months before it progresses to that stage. I'm in the "Research Phase" at the moment. Also, I am pretty sure I will end up buying SOMETHING when I go to the Denver Uke Fest in February. I should try to hold off and save for a custom down the road, especially since I won't be able to afford anything really nice by February, and shouldn't buy one just for the sake of buying one. But I know myself, and I don't have that much self-control.

Last edited:
I'm starting to think about moving up to CUAS (Custom Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome), but I think I have a few more months before it progresses to that stage. I'm in the "Research Phase" at the moment. Also, I am pretty sure I will end up buying SOMETHING when I go to the Denver Uke Fest in February. I should try to hold off and save for a custom down the road, especially since I won't be able to afford anything really nice by February, and shouldn't buy one just for the sake of buying one. But I know myself, and I don't have that much self-control.
Aloha Chris,
Contact Dr Stan Immediately... it sounds serious and needs immediate attention...LOL:)

Wow you guys really do have it bad. I thought I was bad enough looking for my second uke after 3 months of learning to play.

Bruce in Adelaide

I haven't even got my first one in the mail yet and i'm already eying a few others.

Well, I bought my second ukulele only two or three weeks after the first one.. in between that I had already tried out one which looked good but turned out not to be, then I found one I liked (and the tenor size scale fits my fingers better so it's easier to play). But then again i did buy the cheapest not-too-bad ukulele I could find at first, just to see if I would enjoy it or not. The plan was always to get a better one if the answer was "yes".

In any case getting into UAS should be much less costly than GAS.. hand-built acoustic guitars have gone very expensive since I did my luckiest purchase many years ago. My guitar collection still grows though... well, for the price of one good guitar I should be able to get a very good (or several quite good) ukuleles.

What I've learned from purchasing acoustic guitars though is that for acoustic instruments you should really really try the instrument first.. if the shop has several instruments of the model you're looking at you should go through all of them, they vary that much. And, as the local shops in my town have a very limited range of ukuleles I won't be able to give in to any UAS too easily I think. Probably. Hm..

Well it certainly sounds like we are all afflicted to some degree. I think I would definitely like to start a "K" collection. I love the sound of my KoAloha. I would also like to play before I spend that much money on an instrument but to do that it sounds like I have to go to Hawaii to do that. Anyone around here have a good production low dollar model? I do feel a need for a good traveling uke. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I'm starting to think about moving up to CUAS (Custom Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome), but I think I have a few more months before it progresses to that stage.

Unfortunately for my wallet, this is where I'm at. After I received my Boat Paddle custom, I managed to wait a whole 3 months or so before going with an MP custom. I got that and within a month had put in an order for a Mya Moe classic. I'm set to receive it in January yet I've already started talking with Chuck about getting a Moore Bettah. HELP!!!

Oh, not sure if this counts or not but I recently bought both a Cigar Box Ukulele from Barefoot Boogie (see the CBU posted on Sunday, September 19)...the price was right and it looked nice. I also bought a Kanile'a Custom T this past Thursday from Flea Market Music (solid maple top, back & sides). Both kind of custom-ish but the build wasn't commissioned by me.

Top Bottom