HELP PLEASE - Vintage Ukulele Found!!

chrisg14mac

Reaction score
Dear all,

My friend found at a garage sale (what appears to be) a vintage ukulele. I am just starting on the ukulele, so I can't even begin to appraise it - so I am wondering if anyone out there can give us their opinion? If does appear to be valuable, does anyone know what is the best way to sell something like this?

I've attached some photos. It is a soprano uke, with "Wurlizter" engraved on the back of the headstock and on the inside. It also has steel strings?? It looks to be in great condition and is even with its original hard case.

Any advice would be appreciated. We don't know if we have something to get excited about - or just an ordinary old ukulele.

Thanks!!!

ChrisUke-1.jpgUke-5.jpgUke-6.jpgUke-4.jpgUke-3.jpg

It does appear to be quality built from the pictures.. Not sure of value, or woods those had.. I'll see if I can dig up some info.. If ya dont' mind me asking, what did it cost his/you?

Looks like an awesome find...

Not sure exactly what he paid - but I know it was not a lot. Probably less than $100. The person who sold it did not know anything about ukes.

Thanks for your help. Anything you can find out would be great!!

It does appear to be quality built from the pictures.. Not sure of value, or woods those had.. I'll see if I can dig up some info.. If ya dont' mind me asking, what did it cost his/you?

Looks like an awesome find...

I think you have something to be excited about. Looks high end. I'll give you 100 bucks for it. The steel strings part seems odd though.

I am thinking those were made by Martin... you may have stumbled onto something..

When I first saw it I thought "Martin" . Could have been made by Martin for Wurlitzer. I think that would make it more rare and more valuable than a Martin.

Most definatly if it is a Martin built, which this one sure has the signs..

So.. I'll double your money..

AND even pay for shipping.. <grin>

It looks like a Martin because it is. Wurlitzer (the juke box company) had them built in the 30's. I would contact elderly to have it apraised. the fact it is in really good shape and has the original case makes it worth some money.

"Style 3 Martins were originally made for professional ukulele players and are, therefore, really fancy-schmancy. There are plenty of distinguishing features: a thick white binding around the soundhole, the distinctive design behind the bridge, the fretboard reaching up to the soundhole with a line down the middle. Value roughly $2,000 for the mahogany and $3,000 or over for an early 3K in top condition."

Quoted from Ukulelehunt.com

If..

If it's a style 5, which it looks like it could be, we're talking in the 4K$ range.. Style 3, a couple large...

Looks style 3 to me. I'd immediately get those steel strings off of it. You hit the jackpot. Put some uke strings on it and tune it up, and then we need a sound sample.

And BTW, I'll give you $300 for it :)

Way to go guys- tell him it's worth a ton why don't ya ;)
I thought 5K the second I saw it...style 3 would have the skunk stripe on the fretboard, and it should also have a celluloid whoop de do at the body. 5's did not have that stuff on them.
Funny know one has said this yet- GET THOSE STEEL STRINGS OUT OF THERE (then hope to whomever they have not twisted the neck). Oh good- I got beat to it.
Your friend SCORED...course, good luck like that means you can't sell it, you have to learn to play it

Last edited:
Way to go guys- tell him it's worth a ton why don't ya ;)
I thought 5K the second I saw it...style 3 would have the skunk stripe on the fretboard, and it should also have a celluloid whoop de do at the body. 5's did not have that stuff on them.
Funny know one has said this yet- GET THOSE STEEL STRINGS OUT OF THERE (then hope to whomever they have not twisted the neck). Oh good- I got beat to it.
Your friend SCORED...course, good luck like that means you can't sell it, you have to learn to play it

Well, I was hoping he would reward honesty, and take me up on doubling his money, lol... hahha.. I love seeing people unknowingly score like this only to loose their bowels when they hear what they have, hahhah.. .

Man, I just wish someday Karma would let me find something like this.. Actually I have, but my honestly approach has ruined many a deal for me. I been offered things before for pennies, and I just couldn't take it knowing better, so I end up schooling them only to have the deal stop dead in it's tracks.. hahhah.. But, even when that happens to me, I feel better about being honest anyway..

In his case, he didn't know what he was buying either, so that is an honest, and awesome score.. I'm still thinking style 5 on this one.. some serios bank..

Not sure of the credibility of the statement, but I just read
"In 1922 to 1925, Martin made 297 standard Martin models (but with a simplier soundhole rosette) for Wurlitzer. These have the Wurlitzer name and model number on the back of the peghead." here
There is a guy who has one here
and why not- here is an add for them at much lower prices :)
ukulele.jpg

Looks like yours is an 839- worth $30...I will send you fifty for it right now

Top Bottom