Nuages - a brief effort

Ken of York

Reaction score
Hi all, well this is a couple of firsts for me really. My first Uke and my first upload to youtube.

I am really new to the ukulele, did a bit of research and saw some of the youtube vids and decided to go for it. My Kala cedartop arrived last tuesday and thanks to all the generous people here on UU I have plenty of tabs to attempt.

So here is a very short piece of improvising with a few bars of Nuages and a bit of messing around in a (hopefully) jazzy style, oh and the first bit is just doodling. I do lose my way a bit at the end, please be gentle though, this is only day 6 for Kala and me. You can see I'm no stranger to plucking a string, my background is self-taught classical guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrESCDo-QLg

My recording device is a Canon G9 point and shoot camera with very limited editing options and a very basic mic so the results aren't top quality but I wanted to at least give an impression of the Kala for you.

Thanks for dropping in. Ken

Very nice for a first go! It's pretty obvious that even though this is your first uke, it is NOT your first stringed instrument! Nice looking uke, too.

Aloha Ken,
Welcome to the UU and our forums...and the ukulele...Congrats on your first purchased Kala ukulele...Looks like you're having fun and enjoying yourself...Like Chris said, I can see that you have alot of
string instrument background.. which helps alot....Thanks for Sharing.. Happy Strummings and Holidays! MM Stan..

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. Yes I kinda hit the ground running due to my classical playing and it is great fun to mess around with these new chord shapes. I am pretty much flying without an undercarriage though, need to take a step back and pick up on some theory and get those chords embedded in my finger memory.

There will be more videos to come, when I'm brave enough. To me it is a good way to drive myself to improve. The Kala is a beautiful little thing and is feeling very natural in my hands. I'm trying not to hug it too firmly, I think pressing on the back slightly muffles the sustain?

Cheers, Ken.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. Yes I kinda hit the ground running due to my classical playing and it is great fun to mess around with these new chord shapes. I am pretty much flying without an undercarriage though, need to take a step back and pick up on some theory and get those chords embedded in my finger memory.

There will be more videos to come, when I'm brave enough. To me it is a good way to drive myself to improve. The Kala is a beautiful little thing and is feeling very natural in my hands. I'm trying not to hug it too firmly, I think pressing on the back slightly muffles the sustain?

Cheers, Ken.
Very well played. Thanks for posting, It's ok to give your uke a hug now and then, but not in front of the guitars:)
DAP

Top Bottom