Scratchy strings?!

Ken of York

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a query about strings. Very recently I bought a Kala Tenor Uke and it came with Aquila strings already fitted, Now my usual playing style is fingerpicking using my nails to pluck the strings. It may seem a bit dumb me asking but all my previous experience is on classical guitar with clear nylon strings... so after a few days the A (1st) string on the Kala is now really rough where I am striking it with my nail. Is this usual? Is it something typical of these 'nylgut' strings.

There are 2 things that worry me, first is I can detect a slight scrape instead of a clean pluck which is a bit off-putting, secondly will the string be weakened by this wear and snap?

I guess another good thing to ask is how often should the strings be replaced? Don't say as soon as the A gets rough - I'll need a new set every week!

Any help/advice will be gratefully received.
Regards, Ken.

Hi Ken,

Sure enough those aquillas have a micro-tooth and it's part of the beauty of nyl-gut(subective comment).
As for how long they last? Pretty long methinks at least as long as any premium string, I have them on a Koalana
and they preform well. I like em, certainly not the end all of uke strings, but what is.

Finding "your" string for a particular uke is a not to costly a journey. Best of luck on your quest.

Cheers.

Hi, Ken, welcome to UU!

As a fellow classical guitarist before taking up uke, I must say I'm not crazy about Aquilas. I really like fluorocarbons on CG and find I much prefer them on uke. There are various brands and I've only tried Worths, but I like them enough I probably won't bother with others.

I like some texture in nylon strings. I find that you will wear smooth the spots that you use, or maybe technique gets corrected unconsciously - give them some time.

I notice this scratchy problem on all my sopranos except one. I use Aquila strings on all my ukes. At first, I cut my nails. My Moore Bettah is the only soprano I own that doesn't have this problem. The answer for you may be a different uke or a different string or changing you attack. Good luck.

... so after a few days the A (1st) string on the Kala is now really rough where I am striking it with my nail. Regards, Ken.

This is exactly why I quit using them on my tenors. Once they get rough like that they would also squeak when my fingers rubbed accross them. I heard they changed the formula or something and the newer ones were supposed to be different. Unfortunately, all the ones I've tried get nicked up like that very quickly. And I would ususally nick them up within the first couple hours of playing.

Worth Brown mediums on most of my ukes, even the Dolphin soprano. Had Fremont Black Lines on a hog tenor, took em off, put on WBms and got better sound with a nicer feel. They are super for mahogany. Clears on the Kanile'a tenor however, you would probably prefer those depending on your type of wood, that is a koa uke. Aquilas on my previous cedar CBU and Ohana Vita are about all that work.

mm stan, Mr Bill, itsme, harpdog, peterp, Dominator, Teek - Thanks for the information it is very useful and at least I know it isn't just happening to me. Since I already have a new set of Aquilas I shall probably put those on for now. It will allow me to also see how to properly re-string the uke although it looks no different to classical really.

I'll definitely be looking at the Worth and the fleuro-carbon options, I can't change the way I play (only improve it) and the Kala I got is for keeps, but already thinking about an electro-uke in the future.

Cheers all, Ken

I've found the same thing w/ Aquilas...scratchy sounding, and they get dinged up the first day. I like Worth's too, but prefer to use D'Addario Pro Arte's when I can. One reason being the smooth feel under my picking nails, and I've yet to ding up an A string!

~Michael

Top Bottom