Uas

bbqribs

Reaction score
Do you think it's wrong of me to buy a $500-$600 tenor, when I've only been playing a year? I have a Kamaka soprano, so I'm used to beautiful tone, but have been encouraged to move up to a tenor for the larger range. It is hard to justify a more expensive instrument with my skill level. Thoughts?

Getting a Tenor

If playing a tenor is wrong, I don't wanna be right!:love:

You will love having two different sizes and sounds of uke and it will only spur you on to new heights of competence!

I agree, don't hesitate if you find one you like.

No thought required bb. Buy a better instrument from the start. It will sound so much better and therefore motivate you to play more often and improve quicker. Not even an experienced uke player can really make a cheap uke sound fantastic. Besides, you'll save money in the long run by lots of tiny upgrades. Treat yourself I reckon. It will pay dividends in the long run. You don't need to justify anything about buying an instrument on the basis of skill level...many, many of us have very expensive ukes and are not professionals by any stretch of the imagination. Buy it because it looks and sounds beautiful and has all the potential within it for you to unlock as you travel the journey. Enjoy it! :)

Buy now, they ain't getting cheaper.:eek:

Aloha BarbeQueRibs,
Any time you get an upgrade, you are continuing to learn and better yourself....plus a buying one will motivate and inspire to learn more...Not to mention the fun and enjoyment it will bring..a higher end
instrument will bring faster learning and a quality sound..and you won't get as fustrated with a lower end one....buy the best you can comfortably afford...nothing more needs to be said except, get it..
Sorry I'm a UAS enabler...Isn't it a Perfect time to get one, Christmas!!!!Have fun and Enjoy! Happy Holidays..MM Stan

Sorry I'm a UAS enabler...
I think we pretty much all are. You don't even ask a question like that here unless you want to hear "Buy it!" :p

My only thought is can you really afford it. If so, go for it. If you're sitting on a lot of credit card debt, then maybe not. Personally, I've always appreciated things more when I had to save up to be able to buy them outright.

I bought a used guitar for over $2K once when I was driving a car that wasn't even worth $500. One of the best things I ever did. We all have different priorities in life.

Go ahead, you have my permission. As long as it is in your budget, go for it. I got a Kanile'a after about 8 months of playing, and it was more than $500... and I also had about 7 other ukes by then (all in the $90- $350 range). You came to the wrong place if you wanted to be discouraged. If you can test it in person first, that would be best. You might find you like the feel of a tenor, or you might want to test out a concert (or super concert). There are so many variations in different instruments, and some of the nicer small instruments are actually louder than the cheaper large instruments. Sounds like you need more frets, and there are some sopranos with more that 12 frets. Most concert and tenors will naturally have at least 15 frets.

–Lori

Tis the season for to you to get a tenor. Merry Christmas!

It makes sense to me to buy an instrument based on sound and playability first and price second. Just like everywhere else there is a lot of hype in the uke world. If you play an instrument in your price range and feel that it is better than other instruments you have played that are good but cost less, and you feel that the sound and playability of the more expensive instrument is worth the price difference then go for it. But keep in mind the law of diminishing returns. There are many comments in UU that touch upon this subject and many recommendations of ukuleles that cost less than $600.00 but according to their owners are more satisfactory than more expensive instruments that they own.

I agree with all of the posts. I want to add that I find beauty in the workmanship of the various ukes. Why, I've been known to buy a uke (without ever hearing it) just because it was beautiful. Not only does my collection contain some awesome sounding ukes, they are every one beautiful works of art!!!

Get it!...I just ordered a custom super concert from kanilea today...my skill level I would is intermediate..I feel it will drive me to be a better uke player and not to mention I'll have one great uke!...buying a top of the line ukulele I won't feel the need to buy 3 or 4 mid range ukes...if you love playing it's a great investment IMO.

Go for it! I've been playing about a year and I've ordered a custom Mya Moe Tenor. Like Rockabilly said I believe it will drive me to greater heights and am hoping it will be the one and I won't need to buy another uke.

I can't play for crap really and have two tenors. I love them both, I get a little bit better every time I pick up a uke (except for when I backslide) so having the sounds that feed my ears and soothe my soul are what is important to me. Of course my Dolphin can do that but not quite the way my Kanile'a can, or my custom concert. I'm sorting and weeding and looking to get down to two tenors, two concerts, a cheap beater bari and about 4 sopranos. The sopranos are like potato chips, how can you possibly have just one...? And there is always resale.

McCabe's used to have a deal where you could rent an instrument up to $500 for $50 a month. But then you had to either turn it over of finish buying it. Play it for a few months, if you find you aren't completely happy with it or grow out of it, get another and sell the first.

BUT I really don't do much else as far as eating out, seeing films, etc. because we are just getting by with a little extra for the adult son, the youngest son (a Poodle) and emergency fund building. So they are my entire entertainment budget except for NetFlix. And I'm selling a lot of other antique and collectible stuff on eBay to move into a slimmer less is more phase, and to build aforementioned fund.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the thoughtful responses. I ended up buying a Keli'i concert. The tenor I was eyeing sold, but as a petite female, I was hesitating on the size anyway. I will sell or donate my laminate concert to make me feel mo bettah about my consumerism! Budget wasn't a problem...the kids will just have to go hungry for awhile. (JK)

I have been playing a month and already bought a $700 KoAloha Concert scpeptre. Buy it!

If you can afford it and you want it then GO FOR IT!!!!!
My first uke was a Kamaka Tenor. You only live once!!!!!

Top Bottom