Poll: Vintage Ukes

How many vintage ukes in your collection?

• None, and I'm not really interested

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • 5 or under

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Over 5

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • None, but I want one someday

Votes: 14 29.8%

• Total voters

pdxuke

Reaction score
I just added a third vintage uke to my fleet, and I must say, I'm rather taken with the idea of playing old instruments.

It got me to wondering: how many of you have a vintage uke in your collection? Let's call vintage anything before 1980.

After voting, tell me what you've got! Pictures would be fun, too!

None but i would like a White lablel Kamaka pineapple and/or an old Kumelea (sp?) one day. I think I will get me a Kamaka one day mut I might go for and old school repo for a soprano.

I feel a little sad that vintage is pre-1980 because I always thought "vintage" was something much older, from a time well before I was alive....I remember 1980 pretty well.

I really prefer vintage uke's. I have pictures of all of mine in my gallery on my home page. Here is a picture of a Richter....likely made in the 40's/50's. A pretty good player, likely built by Regal and painted by Richter.
attachment.php

I feel a little sad that vintage is pre-1980 because I always thought "vintage" was something much older, from a time well before I was alive....I remember 1980 pretty well.

We used to sell vintage eyewear, and had to carry 1980's stock for our younger clienteles "vintage look".

Let's call vintage anything before 1980.

Something so much younger than I am can't possibly be vintage! Ah well, at least you didn't call me "antique" :)

I've got a 1920s mahogany Columbia uke. Despite a quality restoration, it's got some intonation issues which make me hesitant to ever buy a vintage instrument again. Still fun to play though!

Let's see... late '20s or early '30s Martin Style 2; '50s Martin Style 1; '50s Maccaferri Islander Baritone; '50s Maccaferri Islander Soprano; '40s (I believe) Green "Canoe" Harmony; '30s or '20s Criterion soprano; '20s Mouna Loa soprano. So seven, I guess. Wow. I didn't realize I had quite that many!

Can we call vintage a little older than 1980?
1940 (pretty certain on year) Martin 3M
1920's May Bell Banjo Uke
- too bad we aren't counting all instruments- my holding goes up to 20 immediately O:

Can we call vintage a little older than 1980?
1940 (pretty certain on year) Martin 3M
1920's May Bell Banjo Uke
- too bad we aren't counting all instruments- my holding goes up to 20 immediately O:

Yeah, if that was the case, I could add 2 basses and an acoustic guitar. I have SOCKS that are pre-1980 fer cryin' out loud. Ok not really. But I COULD have.

The one and only uke I have is a 1976 Kamaka Soprano.

I would love a vintage uke. Old things really fascinate me but I just haven't found that "right" vintage uke...

Yeah, if that was the case, I could add 2 basses and an acoustic guitar. I have SOCKS that are pre-1980 fer cryin' out loud. Ok not really. But I COULD have.
Haha- pretty sure I could find a pair from 1990 laying around.
My others are all accordions- it seems once you tell people you play them, they begin to reproduce. Wish someone would give me really old Ukes now (wait...)

I've had a bit of luck up here in Vancouver :D

1974 Northern JCD-4. I bought it from someone that had it in a case in storage for 30 years!! ( mint cond. )

White label Soprano Kamaka Pineapple. Spent most of it's life in a case too. ( not sure of exact year but mint cond. too )

:music:

Attachments

• DSC_7250.jpg
    DSC_7250.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC_7251.jpg
    DSC_7251.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC_7257.jpg
    DSC_7257.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC_8696.jpg
    DSC_8696.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC_8706.jpg
    DSC_8706.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 7
Gonna go have a look at an old , circa 1927, Banjo Uke this weekend.
Dont know too much about it but has pearloid fingerboard and a pearloid 'gumby' headstock.
I'll keep ya posted...

I've had a bit of luck up here in Vancouver :D

1974 Northern JCD-4. I bought it from someone that had it in a case in storage for 30 years!! ( mint cond. )

White label Soprano Kamaka Pineapple. Spent most of it's life in a case too. ( not sure of exact year but mint cond. too )

:music:

I would love to have one of those Northerns. Or a Kamaka pineapple! Oh, who am I kidding... I'd like BOTH!

Wow, this poll is pretty balanced, so far!

I chose none and not interested. It's not that I'd turn down a really good player if it fell into my lap - I just don't see any magic in old instruments. Sure, some of them are great - but for every one of those there are probably several "hangar queens" that are only in great shape for their age because they were distinctly average to begin with.

John

Hey Chris, I would like a Kamaka Pineapple too! Here is a pic of my oldest uke, built around 1900, maybe a bit earlier. As of now, the builder is still unknown.
attachment.php

The ukes in my sig. except for the concert, one tenor, the U-bass and the bari. Also have two more 20's-30's banjo ukes.
Vintage non-uke instruments;
4 basses
3 banjos
2 guitars
And a Partridge in a Pear Tree !!!!

Last edited:
Ha! Good eye....the picture is from Gryphon but not the uke. They asked me to bring it in to photograph for their archives. I brought my Royal Hawaiian uke as well and they took pictures of it as well.

I didn't realize they had an online archive of vintage uke's until they asked to photograph it for the archive. If you like vintage uke's, check it out, it is fun.http://www.gryphonstrings.com/pages/Vintage.php?inst=Ukuleles

Top Bottom