Scavenging old parts to use on cigar box ukulele..

poopylungstuffing

Reaction score
I am not a ukulele builder..I have a miserable time trying to use power tools..I have a Dremel with a saw attachment, but I cannot get the saw attachment to work...i am a wreck...But I have ambition...AND I have stuff....the wooden skeleton from an antique banjolele..sans tuning pegs...I have some tuning pegs that I'd ordered, but can't find...I have the neck and bridge from a concert-sized Oscar-Schmidt that managed to get accidentally crushed...I would so like to make a cigar box uke for someone for x-mas...looking for suggestions..I, being a pack rat, have numerous nice cigar boxes...I also was looking into the notion of making a cookie tin banjolele..I have this disaster of a homemade solid body electric uke..that never ever worked...it was ordered for me as a gift...but it does have a bridge and a headstock..(the tuners are positioned so that they bump into each other when I try to tune the thing...but oh well...
ANYWHOO...urm....bleh...anyone like to offer me some guidance on my wingnutty scheme...

I suppose the toughest part of building a CBU is getting the neck on. I have found Pete Howlett's method to be the best way to attach one. You want to make your neck flat where it is round (where it mated to the body of the old Uke), I use a sanding block for that. Than make a block for the inside of the box (ought to fit against the top and bottom). I glue that in, drill it out and then set the whole ting on a flat bench and clamp. Making sure the neck is centered, I then use a right angle drill to drill a hole into the neck.
I have three done, and one wall hangar (but that was number three- rushing). one is a steel string so it works out pretty well and the bolt is strong.

I used that exact method with the CBU that I built for my wife. Worked out very well. Just make sure to measure and cut accurately. Also, use a straight sided cigar box, because having to rasp out a rounded edge on the neck to make it fit the rounded sides of the box sucks, especially with a hard maple neck.

The majority of cigar box instruments have a neck-thru design. I've built every concievable variation of neck attachment on ukes and the neck-thru wokrs fine.
The last one was a resonator .... no room for the neck-thru , so I built it set neck ........ I will probably do this more for ukes. It worked well, played well and sounded fine.
Lust take a bit more time because of extra glue work.
Oh yeah, I also use the typical "stick neck" on my builds.

Matt

Top Bottom