PDA

View Full Version : That awful feeling..nobody's perfect

Timbuck
12-21-2010, 04:57 AM
I removed a bridge off one of my customers ukes today...it was starting to come a bit loose so I thought best to remove it and clean up the area and reglue a new bridge in place.
All was going well... i'd taped off all the area around the bridge with double masking tape so I wouldnt scratch the finish...I pared down the existing bridge to leave about a 1mm sliver (like I've done in the past)...then I used a hot soldering iron to remove the remainder...(Then the bad bit) "lacking concentration for a few seconds" I held the soldering iron a little too close to the taped area and I melted a bit of the shellac finish under the tape...It has now left a nasty mark in the shellec:mad:..and Mrs Timbuck is now working on it to see if it can be fixed:confused: If it can't be fixed like new, i'll have to make another uke...I'm in the Dog house..and I'm feeling bad about it...Is there a remedy to take away this awful guilty, mad at myself depressed feeling that has overcome me??:(

Dominator
12-21-2010, 05:09 AM
I've heard that one of the good things about shellac is that it is easily repairable. So if the defect is limited to only the shellac itself then maybe Mrs Timbuck can fix it up.

I know the feeling though. I was tuning my uke after a little too much partying and dropped a guitar cable end on the top and took a big chunk out of the laquer. I was immediatley sick to my stomach. Took a while to get over that. The fact it was mine and not a customer's made it a little easier to come to grips with.
Good luck,

Doug W
12-21-2010, 07:42 AM
Is there a remedy to take away this awful guilty, mad at myself depressed feeling that has overcome me??
Here at work (a power plant), I replaced a pressure switch on the main transformer. To bypass any alarms, I had to jumper around 2 points while I made the change-I missed the right spot by one terminal and shut down our plant and the nearest town. I walked around with my tail between my legs for a couple of days.

Now 2 years later we laugh about it-kind of.

Michael Smith
12-21-2010, 11:54 AM
I don't get the have to make a new uke bit. Why couldn't you refinish to top in a worst case?

ADD
12-21-2010, 06:35 PM
Here at work (a power plant), I replaced a pressure switch on the main transformer. To bypass any alarms, I had to jumper around 2 points while I made the change-I missed the right spot by one terminal and shut down our plant and the nearest town. I walked around with my tail between my legs for a couple of days.

Now 2 years later we laugh about it-kind of.

Good laugh out of this one. Thanks for sharing. But it certainly does put perspective on our mistakes.

Pete Howlett
12-21-2010, 11:25 PM
Happens to me all the time - the very last processes are always dogged with disaster. It teaches you the art of repair :)

thistle3585
12-22-2010, 02:26 AM
I've done that on several occasions while soldering on my electrics.