PDA

View Full Version : Who makes 8 string ukes?

spots
12-21-2010, 04:58 AM
I thought it might be nice to come up with a list of makers for 8 string ukes. What other makes do you all know of with an 8 string version?

Makes (in alphabetical order):

Kala
Kamaka
Kanile'a
Kelii
Ko'olau
Lanikai
Loprinzi
Mele
Pono

Custom builders (alphabetical order)

Emil Bader
Chuck Moore

Skitzic
12-21-2010, 05:09 AM
Pono and Mele I believe make one. Or at least they did at some point...

Skitzic
12-21-2010, 05:12 AM

They're still listed on the websites so I imagine they still make them.

spots
12-21-2010, 05:22 AM

Thanks Skitzic. Mele checks out.

I checked Pono's website and can't find it under the Pono make. It is offered as an option in certain Ko'olau lines. (Pono is a less expensive line from Ko'olau for those unfamiliar with the relationship).

Skitzic
12-21-2010, 05:27 AM
Thanks Skitzic. Mele checks out.

I checked Pono's website and can't find it under the Pono make. It is offered as an option in certain Ko'olau lines. (Pono is a less expensive line from Ko'olau for those unfamiliar with the relationship).

Tah Dah (http://www.koolauukulele.com/p-mtd8strthumbs.html)! It appears they only make it under the mahogany deluxe series. Ebay turns up nothing so I'm not sure how available they are.

spots
12-21-2010, 05:33 AM
Tah Dah (http://www.koolauukulele.com/p-mtd8strthumbs.html)! It appears they only make it under the mahogany deluxe series. Ebay turns up nothing so I'm not sure how available they are.

Thank you! I missed that many times.

Skitzic
12-21-2010, 05:39 AM
Thank you! I missed that many times.

No problem. I had a recent 8 string obsession and did massive amounts of research.

dnewton2
12-21-2010, 05:57 AM
Moore Bettah, not sure I have seen one but his site says he does.

Skitzic
12-21-2010, 08:31 AM
Emil Bader will custom make an 8 as well.

Uke Republic
12-21-2010, 08:40 AM
Kelii in the koa or gold series and LoPrinzi can make most any model with 8 string. Ohana has a 6 and the new 5 comes out in January, they said they may have an 8 coming too.