Mystery Uke

AhPookalele

Reaction score
I have a wall-hanger I bought about ten years ago when I was in my insane uke accumulation phase, and I concluded quickly it was unplayable. Some recent tinkering has turned me around on that, though the action is quite high.

I'm wondering if any experts might have a crack at identifying it. I bought it for the binding, an probably paid too much for it ($100) at the time, but I was on a spree.

It has no label or distinguishing marks. Any ideas?

P1000058.JPG

More pix at http://picasaweb.google.com/WilliamSweet1/MysteryUke?feat=directlink

Aloha Ahpookalele,
It sorta looks like a Martin style 2...but I think not..but its well made....I'm sure if you change the strings it will sound better...nice find...Have Fun and enjoy...Happy Strummings and Happy Holidays! MM Stan..

Kinda looks like an early upper end Harmony build, but the headstock shape looks a little too narrow. The action is pretty much always high on these but it makes them good strummers. The tuners look circa late 1920s through late 1930s, early 40s. The vintage mahogany should sound great with Worth Brown mediums or lights on it. The one piece bridge / saddle is characteristic of a lot of mass produced ukes of this era. The ebony nut, nicer than average position markers, and faux binding suggests middle of the original price level / options. If the neck is straight it should be a player. These are sometimes modified by lowering the bridge by sanding it down and inserting a new ebony or bone saddle, something I am contemplating on my older Harmony. It's just a bit louder and deeper than my Favilla, so I'll wait until I have the Favilla finished before I decide.

I'd say put on new Worth strings and play it. :)

Top Bottom