PDA

View Full Version : If you had 1000$ what Uke would you buy?

Sayyadina
07-06-2008, 08:59 AM
I just got hold of those $$$ and I want to burn it on a nice Uke but I have problems deciding which one (I was thinking about the Pono PKT-500). Please help me out! And please give reasons for your choice. :)

nikolo727
07-06-2008, 09:15 AM
probubly a kamaka.

i just love the sound of them lol.

and i hear that they are the best (duh)

I would kill for a kamaka like aldrine's or jake's.

Kanaka916
07-06-2008, 09:26 AM
My choices and not in any particular order . . .

Kanile'a K-1 Sound Monster - The resonance and tone, simply amazing
Kamaka HF-3 - I've always wanted one, great playability
Mike Perreira (http://mpukuleles.com/default.html) Tenor (Special Order) - get it made to your liking

tad
07-06-2008, 09:42 AM
I'd probably go for a Glyph-- maybe the mezzosoprano?

thejumpingflea
07-06-2008, 09:45 AM
I'd probably go for a Glyph-- maybe the mezzosoprano?

That would be great if you wanted to wait 3 years.

I'd go with an MP custom. I've heard great things about them.

deach
07-06-2008, 12:41 PM
A DaSilva or maybe a Kepasa like FranSpain plays.

Poi Dog
07-06-2008, 01:03 PM
http://poi-dog.net/ukulele/koalohabanner.jpg

If not... I'd save up for a Kamaka or G-String! :D

fumanshu
07-06-2008, 01:30 PM
I would def go with a custom by MP or other luthier of your choice....but def a custom instead of a stock production stuff....even from major companies such as Koaoha, Kamaka, G-String, etc.....

KiLO
07-06-2008, 02:06 PM
Kanile'a K-1 Sound Monster - The resonance and tone, simply amazing

Definitely. I just got the sound monster over the weekend, and it is by far the best sounding uke I've personally played. Haven't been able to put it down. Also, if you got the sound monster, you'd have a couple hundred bucks left over :D

brokenwing
07-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Well, I'm sure this thread will reveal everything you need to know, Sayadina, and make your choice obvious. not. It's all well and good to get opinions but really, they will leave you as they found you undecided.

If you don't have any shops in your immediate area that carry higher-end ukes, as most of us don't, you're going to have to depend on heresay. That's not as bleak as it sounds. You can get a pretty accurate impression of a company or model by doing your reading. I assume you've been doing some research. But in the end, it's probably going to come down to a leap of faith.

For $1000, you probably can't make a "bad" choice. At that price point you're into a good instrument.

lovemissheather
07-06-2008, 02:20 PM
as of right now, i would have my heart set on purchasing a Big Bufo Baritone sized Bass Uke - Level 1 Trim package.

there are a number of other ukuleles i would LOVE to purchase. but as for making a list, i don't even have the time..

ahhh how i wish i had a grand to blow on a fabulous new uke. :)

Plainsong
07-06-2008, 02:37 PM
I'd be calling up my main man, Pete (http://www.uklectic.com/ukulele.html), and seeing what we come up with. He can usually be found on Ukulelecosmos, but I wonder if that would change if there was a luthier's subforum here.

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-06-2008, 03:07 PM
A kamaka for sure

TENOR 4-STRING (HF-3)
HF-3 Kamaka Tenor 4 Ukulele

either one, it says basically the same name but the pictures are different =]

grappler
07-06-2008, 03:21 PM
im with you brother..

ill get my hands on a kamaka for sure

14twelve
07-06-2008, 03:50 PM
I think I'd have to go for the Kamaka too. If only to be able to look at Aldrine and Jake's videos and know that my instrument can sound like that, even if I can't yet :)

Tomdini
07-06-2008, 04:11 PM
A few days ago, I had the opportunity to play the 4- and 8-string Kamaka tenors at my local shop... man that 8-stringer is rich. The most inane chord progressions spring to life. But the standard quadstring tenor is astounding in its resonance and pristine intonation.

Ah, and so lovely in the hands, as well. Easy to fret and pull off liquid legatos and ritzy slides. It's my next purchase for sure.

I personally don't feel the $1000 price point is high enough to warrant avoiding a factory-made uke. I'd probably up my budget to around 1500 or a couple grand before shopping around for a custom order. Some of those Martins are just plain bombastic...

-Tom

nikolo727
07-06-2008, 04:45 PM
Ive changed my mind. I would probubly get a custom MP. something that just screams, "UNIQUE".

yummyyyyy!

:p

phoenix.stu
07-06-2008, 04:55 PM
G-String all the way baby. ;)

Plainsong
07-06-2008, 05:45 PM
I don't have any aversion to brand name ukes. Not at all, it's just that a fine fine fine fine custom uke can be had at that price point. I know of this one koa soprano that would blow your mind and it was a custom one-off for 14 lucky people for cheaper than I could buy my Koaloha. You'd be so surprised what you can get for the price.

And at that price point, absolutely lovely brand ukes can be had, the world is your oyster. I was just saying what I would buy, because I played one and I really loved it.

And there are plenty of brand ukes on my list as well. It's just that it was what popped into my head, mmm'kay. But the myth that you have to spend 1500-2k, unless you NEED bling in your life, is a myth.

phoenix.stu
07-06-2008, 05:51 PM
I have heard somewhere that if you learn on a high quality instrument, you will learn to love the sound more and be more enthusiastic about learning to play the instrument.

experimentjon
07-06-2008, 08:22 PM
Hmm, I'm going to have to go to one of the local music stores to try out the Kanilea Concert K1. I'm currently borrowing my friend's Kamaka Concert (HF-2) to see how much I like it, to see if I should get my own. But I wonder if the Kanilea K1 is a better choice with all those good reviews. It looks shiny and cool too...

Sayyadina
07-06-2008, 08:25 PM
Well, I'm sure this thread will reveal everything you need to know, Sayadina, and make your choice obvious. not. It's all well and good to get opinions but really, they will leave you as they found you undecided.

If you don't have any shops in your immediate area that carry higher-end ukes, as most of us don't, you're going to have to depend on heresay. That's not as bleak as it sounds. You can get a pretty accurate impression of a company or model by doing your reading. I assume you've been doing some research. But in the end, it's probably going to come down to a leap of faith.

For $1000, you probably can't make a "bad" choice. At that price point you're into a good instrument.

You are absolutely right, even after all those opinions it's still a very difficult choice. But this thread and the other one concerning the Pono that I made convinced me that I shouldn't spend all this good money on endorsements. Now I am trying to decide between a Kamaka 4 string tenor or a Mike Pereira but I think I'll go for the luthier made Uke.

Thank you guys for your help! :D

Kanaka916
07-07-2008, 04:11 AM
Hmm, I'm going to have to go to one of the local music stores to try out the Kanilea Concert K1. I'm currently borrowing my friend's Kamaka Concert (HF-2) to see how much I like it, to see if I should get my own. But I wonder if the Kanilea K1 is a better choice with all those good reviews. It looks shiny and cool too...
You're lucky, you have a number of brand names (Kamaka, KoAloha, Kanile'a, G String, Ko'olau) to choose from, you may wanna try em all.

deach
07-07-2008, 04:14 AM
You're lucky, you have a number of brand names (Kamaka, KoAloha, Kanile'a, G String, Ko'olau) to choose from, you may wanna try em all.

No kidding, my local music store only carries Mahalos. With $1000, I'd have to buy 300 of those cheap suckers, rent a truck to take them home and still have money for lunch.

GX9901
07-07-2008, 04:57 AM
I'd vote for MP Ukulele. Hard to beat a custom instrument, especially at this price point. For instant gratification, I'd go for a Kamaka just so I'd have a Kamaka.

UkuCouS
07-07-2008, 07:41 AM
Definitely a Kamaka HF-3 (cuz I already have a Kanile'a K1-T ^^)

Plainsong
07-07-2008, 09:15 AM
To be able to actually try some of these ukes before buying.. .what an amazing concept! There's a local music shop that has a very good selection of budget ukes that won't do you wrong, especially the killer Brükos, but walking in and playing a Kamaka? Not in this lifetime.

Kanaka916
07-07-2008, 09:23 AM
It can happen if you plan a future vacation to the Hawaiian Islands . . . just a thought.

CTurner
07-07-2008, 09:35 AM
It's absolutely true that with all the opinions offered, you may still be left woefully undecided. But in the interest of adding to the conversation, I would get a Kanile'a. Just got a wonderful concert (K-1) and I can imagine one of their sopranos in my home!

But any of the choices here would be wonderful, I'm sure, and yes you should take the time to try out some if you are someplace where you can do that.

Good Luck,
I envy you!

Craig

tad
07-07-2008, 10:14 AM
No kidding, my local music store only carries Mahalos. With $1000, I'd have to buy 300 of those cheap suckers, rent a truck to take them home and still have money for lunch.

...and start the WORLD'S LARGEST UKULELE ORCHESTRA!!!

Tomdini
07-08-2008, 02:35 PM
I have heard somewhere that if you learn on a high quality instrument, you will learn to love the sound more and be more enthusiastic about learning to play the instrument.

This was the principle I applied when I set out to learn guitar. Having zero experience with the instrument, I purchased a vintage Black Beauty Les Paul and a near-mint '59 Bassman... and today, of all the guitar gear I have stockpiled in here, that is my absolute favorite pairing.

With ukulele, I started out a bit smaller... a Martin 5K.

Joke!!! :D

But I opted to try a more "conventional" path of going up the price ladder over time. Provides a bit more wiggle-room for the UAS, too.

Yeah, L.A.'s nice... there are quite a few shops supplying ukuleles of remarkable variety. They're all rather small, though... two of them aren't listed in any directory I know of. I happened to pass them and stopped in to look around.

I recommend McCabe's Guitar Shop in Santa Monica... they do lessons for just about any instrument you can think of, and they also sell Kamakas and Martins and other high-end ukes you might enjoy noodling on (they're more than happy to oblige, though it can be terrifying cradling a $3,000 soprano in your arms). I also tried an oud and an electric sitar while I was in there. And they have a world-class in-house guitar shop churning out all manner of bizarre Frankensteinian concoctions for sale. Very cool place.

-Tom

Guting
07-08-2008, 02:54 PM
Id grab aldrines kamaks, almost perfect.

uke079
07-08-2008, 02:59 PM
I'd go with the KoAloha Tenor!!!!^___^ i love the sound on those...

uke142464
07-08-2008, 04:02 PM
id get this, pono pikake tenor, schmexyyy
http://www.ukes.com/images/pono-pkt500-1.jpg
*drools*

uke142464
07-08-2008, 04:03 PM
or this baby
http://www.ukes.com/images/Kamaka-Tenor-8-ukulele.jpg

uke142464
07-08-2008, 04:04 PM
or this one
http://www.ukes.com/images/kamaka-hf3-front.jpg
:bowdown:

uke142464
07-08-2008, 04:05 PM
I'd go with the KoAloha Tenor!!!!^___^ i love the sound on those...

I like the koaloha tenor pineapple, I love it

FHS-72
07-08-2008, 09:30 PM
i've been wanting a Kanilea Tenor Sound Monster.:love: Sounded real nice when i heard keonepax play it.

Kanaka916
07-09-2008, 04:33 AM
or this baby
http://www.ukes.com/images/Kamaka-Tenor-8-ukulele.jpg
I believe there's one in the Marketplace (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3507), give it a looksee.

Sayyadina
07-09-2008, 09:43 AM
id get this, pono pikake tenor, schmexyyy
http://www.ukes.com/images/pono-pkt500-1.jpg
*drools*

I originally planed on getting that particular Uke but now I am not so sure anymore. In fact I decided to go for a Mike Pereira Ukulele instead. We are currently debating on what woods to use and which inlays I'd like to have done. He is really a very nice guy always answering every question in detail and very fast too. I'm so exited on how it's going to turn out.

nikolo727
07-09-2008, 10:31 AM

at least you have a music shop lol.

i have one guitar center an hour away from my house, that has 3 ukes.

all mitchells. or however you spelled it.boooo.

then some hilo ukes at music stores 30 minutes away from where i live. lol.

whenever i see a uke i freak out cuz i have the biggest uke collection within 100 miles of my house. lol

SailQwest
07-09-2008, 11:02 AM
whenever i see a uke i freak out cuz i have the biggest uke collection within 100 miles of my house. lol

I'm the same way, except that I have the biggest uke collection for about 1000 miles...

But I do see the occasional cavaquinho and quatro around here.

experimentjon
07-09-2008, 05:46 PM

Haha, well I guess that's one good thing about living in Hawaii. Shopping for most other things isn't as great. For example, I've been looking at low-end airsoft guns on ebay so I can CQB around the house (the higher-power ones aren't too friendly to the walls, and cause bleeding at close ranges :p ) But shipping to Hawaii is +$25 to the price...which often increases the price by 50% or so. Anyway, I should be saving more for the Kamaka HF2 I plan to buy by the end of the month anyway.

But at least I can go to those local music stores and factories I guess...and a ton of my friends have ukes, and some very nice ones too...in fact, I got to play my friend's custom KoAloha tenor (don't remember how many they made...it wasn't too many). That monster was the meanest looking uke you have ever seen, and sounded amazing too.

UkuleleBlake
07-09-2008, 10:12 PM
KoAloha or something very custom and crazy.

mr_dust
07-09-2008, 11:59 PM
If I had 1000$ I would buy a Koaloha tenor with electronics, that would be soo sweet!:cool:

Kaneohe til the end
07-10-2008, 12:03 AM
KoAloha or something very custom and crazy.

youre gonna need way more than 1 grand. my koaloha was $850 from mgm, (i scored!). customs are way expensive. but i do agree, if ii had cash to blow after my car and laptop, i would definitely get a custom kamaka guarantee. my grandpa got a custom like over 30 years ago, so maybe they can make room for me in their busy schedule

4strings707
07-10-2008, 05:56 AM
Definitely a kamaka tenor or a Da Silva carbon fiber concert. Da Silva's carbon fiber is sooo sick.

Dominator
07-10-2008, 07:49 AM
If I had $1000 to invest in an ukulele I would search out some killer tone wood, purchase a set of Wavery Slotted HS tuners, some nice electronics and build a killer tenor :D.

ichadwick
07-11-2008, 04:22 AM
Hmmm. $1,000. And you're SURE my wife won't remove some parts of my body to which I've become attached over these years, after she finds out what I spent on it?

Okay, then probably a Kamaka. Not wait. A G-String. No, a National resonator, no... damn.

How about a Pono koa tenor and a Kala six string?

Two Kala tenors and an Ohana long-neck?

A Pono tenor and a baritone?

Stop it! My UAS is killing me!