If you had 1000$ what Uke would you buy?

Sayyadina

Reaction score
I just got hold of those $$$ and I want to burn it on a nice Uke but I have problems deciding which one (I was thinking about the Pono PKT-500). Please help me out! And please give reasons for your choice. :)

probubly a kamaka.

i just love the sound of them lol.

and i hear that they are the best (duh)

I would kill for a kamaka like aldrine's or jake's.

My choices and not in any particular order . . .
  • Kanile'a K-1 Sound Monster - The resonance and tone, simply amazing
  • Kamaka HF-3 - I've always wanted one, great playability
  • Mike Perreira Tenor (Special Order) - get it made to your liking

koalohabanner.jpg

If not... I'd save up for a Kamaka or G-String! :D

I would def go with a custom by MP or other luthier of your choice....but def a custom instead of a stock production stuff....even from major companies such as Koaoha, Kamaka, G-String, etc.....

Kanile'a K-1 Sound Monster - The resonance and tone, simply amazing

Definitely. I just got the sound monster over the weekend, and it is by far the best sounding uke I've personally played. Haven't been able to put it down. Also, if you got the sound monster, you'd have a couple hundred bucks left over :D

Well, I'm sure this thread will reveal everything you need to know, Sayadina, and make your choice obvious. not. It's all well and good to get opinions but really, they will leave you as they found you – undecided.

If you don't have any shops in your immediate area that carry higher-end ukes, as most of us don't, you're going to have to depend on heresay. That's not as bleak as it sounds. You can get a pretty accurate impression of a company or model by doing your reading. I assume you've been doing some research. But in the end, it's probably going to come down to a leap of faith.

For $1000, you probably can't make a "bad" choice. At that price point you're into a good instrument.

I'd be calling up my main man, Pete, and seeing what we come up with. He can usually be found on Ukulelecosmos, but I wonder if that would change if there was a luthier's subforum here.

A few days ago, I had the opportunity to play the 4- and 8-string Kamaka tenors at my local shop... man that 8-stringer is rich. The most inane chord progressions spring to life. But the standard quadstring tenor is astounding in its resonance and pristine intonation.

Ah, and so lovely in the hands, as well. Easy to fret and pull off liquid legatos and ritzy slides. It's my next purchase for sure.

I personally don't feel the $1000 price point is high enough to warrant avoiding a factory-made uke. I'd probably up my budget to around 1500 or a couple grand before shopping around for a custom order. Some of those Martins are just plain bombastic...

-Tom

Ive changed my mind. I would probubly get a custom MP. something that just screams, "UNIQUE".

yummyyyyy!

:p

I don't have any aversion to brand name ukes. Not at all, it's just that a fine fine fine fine custom uke can be had at that price point. I know of this one koa soprano that would blow your mind and it was a custom one-off for 14 lucky people for cheaper than I could buy my Koaloha. You'd be so surprised what you can get for the price.

And at that price point, absolutely lovely brand ukes can be had, the world is your oyster. I was just saying what I would buy, because I played one and I really loved it.

And there are plenty of brand ukes on my list as well. It's just that it was what popped into my head, mmm'kay. But the myth that you have to spend 1500-2k, unless you NEED bling in your life, is a myth.

I have heard somewhere that if you learn on a high quality instrument, you will learn to love the sound more and be more enthusiastic about learning to play the instrument.

Top Bottom