BUZZ or strumming problem?

rem50

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have a KoAloha concert uke and was wondering why when I strum (down) with my thumb (flesh) the uke sounds great but when I strum with the nail side of my index finger it sounds like the strings are buzzing. I can apply more pressure and strum faster and up and down with my index finger. Do you think the action could be too low? (can't strum up and down yet with the thumb) Any ideas? Strumming problem or possibly action problem? Or what?????? Thanks for the help! rem

The fingernail is going to give a sharper sound but that's not really buzzing. If it's buzzing after the nail strike is over (i.e. during the first part of sustain) then check your technique and how hard you are strumming. You want to brush the strings parallel to the fretboard, if you are pushing downward (toward the top) with your fingernail as you strum then the strings vibrate more in the vertical plane than the horizontal (strings don't actually vibrate perfectly in any plane, actually, it's more of a rotary motion).

Sometimes, for a very percussive sound, you do want to strike the strings more or less vertically but in that case you're also usually palm muting so buzzing isn't an issue.

Finally, is the uke drying out? If you're not keeping it well humidified the first sign is usually that the top begins to shrink, lowering the action. If the uke is set up perfectly, as most KoAlohas probably are, there isn't much room for lowering the action.

John

Aloha Rem50,
If you're putting more pressure on your attack and it becomes more apparent the buzzing, I'd say you have a problem....find out which string are buzzing by picknig them one by one...YOu have not
given us much to go on...if this just happened or you just changed the strings or you just aquired the ukulele.. etc...Take it in the shop to be checked out....Good Luck, MM Stan..

Last edited:
am going to try isolating this a bit. thanks for the help

Really got on this and it seems I am miss hearing a bit. What I am really hearing is my nail scraping over the strings. Does this make sense?

Top Bottom