Re-Using Strings?

ukejoelele

Reaction score
Hi

I have a Dolphin which I recently bought some Aquila strings for (soo much better!).. As a newbie to this instrument lark, I asked a friend to string it (lazy i kno ha...) well while a appreciate his help, i think because he is a guitar player he may have got (all) the strings the wrong way round! (serves me right i kno ha...) as the thicknesses dont seem to correlate to keys?! Anyway can I re-use these strings? (i will give it a go myself this time, gotta learn sometime) they have been used in this iffy set up for about 10 days and have just stretched in. Sounds ok, but i seem to hear the thicker string more (due to strumming technique?) it sounds slightly dodgy as if that key shouldnt be slightly louder.. could be just a mental thing tho? I havent confidence in my ears yet (if thats where u put it)

What would you do? keep as -is, re string with the old uns or stop being scrooge and buy some new uns?

Sorry for the long post i tend to blabber on! :)

The C string should be the thickest. The G and E are about the same size and the A is the thinest. Hope that helps.

you need a clip on tuner then you can check strings individually for correct tuning. Lozark

Aloha Ukejoelele,
Everyone has their own preference....and maybe you don't know what it should sound like yet..You can always reuse the strings and try others..the strings should be the thickest from the C, E, G, A is the thinnest
Try some Fleurocarbons if you want a different spectrum of tone....Good Luck, Happy strummings and Happy Holidays...Merry Christmas....MM Stan...

Yeah when I refitted the dolphin with aquila strings it really went infinitely better. just refitted it in a music shop in newcastle today. And yeah I think there is no issue with re-using the string as long as its not used enough

Hello and Merry Christmas Eve to All! :)

Thanks for the responses- I will give it a go re-useing the aquilas..hopefully they weren't cut too short! Thanks mm Stan I will ensure its that way this time- (they are currently from thick to thinnest E,C,A,G lol.. making the E string sound slightly over emphasised to my ear)

Top Bottom