Low G non-wound strings???

musiccityuker

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of wound strings. But... I do have one uke that seems to sound soooo fine as a Low G instrument. Question: are "Low G" strings available without a wound G or C string... in other words... any "Low G" sets available with all plastic strings?

Aquila makes a set of these. I am considering making one of my tenors a low g. I too, am not a fan of wound strings.

I'm not a big fan of wound strings. But... I do have one uke that seems to sound soooo fine as a Low G instrument. Question: are "Low G" strings available without a wound G or C string... in other words... any "Low G" sets available with all plastic strings?

Worth makes these, as well.

Aquila makes a set of these. I am considering making one of my tenors a low g. I too, am not a fan of wound strings.

Really? I thought they only made wound low g sets.

I use a non wound low g on my tenor. I usually use Worth Clear CHLGHD strings. Another good choice is the Fremont Fluorocarbon Blackline set as well. I highly recommend both of them. You can get the Worth at Elderly Instruments, and I usually use MGM for the Fremont ones.

I purchased a Mainland which came with Aquila low G which was a wound string. I did not like the "twang" sound of the wound string so I switched to Worth Browns. I just put them on (still breaking them in) but I really love the sound. It has a mellow sound which is good for the jazzy stuff I like.

- Jack

Fremont and Worth are the two fluorocarbon un-wound low-g strings I use.

Be aware, fluorocarbons are by nature pretty flexible compared to wound, and are prone to rolling and bending sharp unintentionally. I still use wound G's for performance... keeping the plastic-y ones for practice and such.

No mention of it on the Aquila website, but according to Joe Souza at Kanile'a, Aquila will soon be marketing a non-wound low-G.

I've sent an email to Aquila asking them to corroborate Joe's statement, telling them that if true, that is wonderful news.

Actually, I saw a set in a store here on Okinawa. On the back of the package they have check mark boxes for a description of the set. The box marked low G (unwound) was marked. I didn't want to pay $22.00 a set to find out. I will investigate this further. If you found an online source, please let us know.

I've bought Worth low g sets from MGM before. He did tell me they usually sell out very quickly. So check often and stock up before you need them! :)

Yes, as a general rule he has Worth low g sets, but he never lists the only Worths I like -- the CHLGHD ones. He always has the CT but not the CHHD version. Maybe he has them if you call, but never on eBay so I have only been able to get them from Elderly.

If you want the regular Worth clears low g though, then yes, MGM is a good source. But for the heavy hard version, you may have to look elsewhere. They are worth it though, IMHO, they are FAR more balanced than the CTLG ones. Case in point, the CHLGHD are the only strings I will now use on my Kamaka, and I love them to death, while I didn't like the CTLG on it at all -- I thought the g string was far too boomy on the CTLG version.

Last edited:
Fremont and Worth are the two fluorocarbon un-wound low-g strings I use.

Be aware, fluorocarbons are by nature pretty flexible compared to wound, and are prone to rolling and bending sharp unintentionally. I still use wound G's for performance... keeping the plastic-y ones for practice and such.

Very true. I had a Fremont Black low G and was getting a buzz until I realized I was rolling the string off the edge. Switched to the Fremont Clear and much better (stiffer string?)

How thick is an unwound low g string, though? I have a uke with a wound one, and they do not last long. Can I put on an unwound g string on without messing with the nut?

No mention of it on the Aquila website, but according to Joe Souza at Kanile'a, Aquila will soon be marketing a non-wound low-G.

I've sent an email to Aquila asking them to corroborate Joe's statement, telling them that if true, that is wonderful news.

I would love this to be true. I've said before there's a small (Dozens could be sold... Dozens Jerry...) fortune to be made from the development of a superior unwound low G string. I just tried the Worth browns, but I find the G (and to a lesser degree, the C) to be a bit too slack, more like a heavy C tuned down to G. Of course, this is on a concert scale - on a tenor the tension is tighter so maybe they can get away with it there. Until someone comes out with a true plain low G, the hunt continues. I have my fingers crossed on Aquila coming through.

Top Bottom