Latest Medical Update

Pippin

Reaction score
Well, we were at the surgeon's office today and the "pathology" that was "clear" was the sample from the colonoscopy, just a small sample that was from the edge of the tumor. It turns out, the center of the tumor was cancer, but it was small and is compltely removed. So, we are still very optimistic, but, over the next year, we will do blood-work every three months and also schedule another colonoscopy in a year, followed by every two years after. In five years, if everything is clear, we will be good for a long time.

My wife took this information pretty well. She's a brave gal and still smiling. Next Thursday, we see the oncologist and start planning the next twelve months visits.

The good news, the surgeon got it all and there was no penetration in the colon wall. There is no need for chemo and no need for radiation treatments of any kind. just lots of observation.

So, the other doctor's office that said the "pathology was clear" was premature. We were hoping that his was the final word, but the surgeon said, nope, beyond the shadow of a doubt, it was cancer and he is confident that I'll be around for many years.

The surgeon is a man of faith and always has his team pray over a patient before they begin surgery. I was in good hands.

This Christmas will be a special one and every day that follows will be a blessing.

Now that we have all sorted out the details and everyone has the correct information, we can all say thanks again for all the prayers and well-wishes.

I hope all of you have perfect health and happiness in the coming year. Have a safe and wonderful holiday.

Peace...
Pippin

Pippin,

Good luck this and its good that your surgeon is a man of faith. I'll have to schedule my first colonoscopy in a couple of weeks. I've put it aside since it isn't on the top of my list of "favorite" things to do but your message has got me motivated to do it.

This Christmas will be a special one and every day that follows will be a blessing.

And that says it all. May the blessings of this Christmas and MANY more fill your days with gladness.

We are all glad that "they got it all" & that "our" Took w/a Uke will be around the old UU scene.

MERRY Christmas!

Aloha Mickey,
Congrats on the good news and hopefully They got it all out.. I sure hope you will be blessed throughout the years ahead with good health. Have a wonderful Blessed Christmas with your family!!
Many thanks for sharing the good news...Take Care and God Bless!!! MM Stan

Sending prayers your way that the future tests will find no more cancer! Indeed, every day is a blessing. One day at a time my friend!

Hi Pippin,

It may seem like a long road ahead but the time passes and you come through to the other side. It may be a bit of an adventure.

Next April I have my final checks after ten years of vigilance to make sure a kidney cancer tumour stayed away. Like you, I had successful surgery to remove the critter, and a good report following up surgery. I had a diminishing set of regular events to check on my cancer-free state. Every post a winner so far and only one more to go.

If like me you find that surviving survival becomes something you need to work through, remember you are surrounded by good folks with big hearts on this forum, including some who have been down paths that might be somewhat similar. Reach out if you need to. And please keep us all in the picture as to your progress and continuing good health.

Bruce in Adelaide.

Aloha Mickey, thank you for sharing . The good news is encouraging. Keep the faith, our thoughts & prayers are with you all. May your families Christmas be a very special one, God Bless!

Merry Christmas, Pippin. Prayer works wonders. May you have strength for this next period. I wish you and your family all the best.

Sukie

Aye- my Da' is (supposed to be...he has put it off a bit) starting cancer treatment soon. Bless up Pippin, thoughts and prayers coming your way from C-Town. I know the road is long, but hopefully the flowers on the side will fill these days with joy.
Have a happy Holiday season and all my best to you and yours.
- Need you back to fighting shape soon so we all have something to read :)

We are all with you bro'

Well you're still cancer-free. They just have to keep checking, just-in-case. Just think of it like that - no news is good news! But whatever happens, you have people around the world cheering you through each mile marker. Keep on keepin' on!

I would like to think it is still and will continue to always be the same and correct answer, and only just a little bitty (and perverse, God is perverse in my experience) test of your faith, and likely ours as well.

Wishing many further blessings to you and yours!

Pippin,

Good luck this and its good that your surgeon is a man of faith. I'll have to schedule my first colonoscopy in a couple of weeks. I've put it aside since it isn't on the top of my list of "favorite" things to do but your message has got me motivated to do it.

Ronnie, I hope you are all clear when the test is completed. I'll be doing a video telling the story and how I dodged a bullet, but in my case, had the bleeding never occured, this would have been a one-way street I would not want to travel.

Hi Pippin,

It may seem like a long road ahead but the time passes and you come through to the other side. It may be a bit of an adventure.

Next April I have my final checks after ten years of vigilance to make sure a kidney cancer tumour stayed away. Like you, I had successful surgery to remove the critter, and a good report following up surgery. I had a diminishing set of regular events to check on my cancer-free state. Every post a winner so far and only one more to go.

If like me you find that surviving survival becomes something you need to work through, remember you are surrounded by good folks with big hearts on this forum, including some who have been down paths that might be somewhat similar. Reach out if you need to. And please keep us all in the picture as to your progress and continuing good health.

Bruce in Adelaide.

Bruce, thank you so much. If there are any dietary tips you can give everyone, that would be great. Let me know when you get the all clear. Your story is an inspiration.

Well Pippin the important thing is that your surgeon is sure that he got all of the cancerous part of the tumor out and that it didn't migrate into the walls of the colon. I will continueto pray for you and your family. Enjoy the Merriest Christmas.

My family has a history with colon cancer and I myself have had three pollyps removed on two different occaisions. But like all forms of cancer, early detection is tantamount to beating this disease. I had my first colonoscopy when I was forty.

Ronnie, as we pass the half century mark it becomes more necessary to be vigilant in having all these tests done. Good luck with yours and outside of the nasty "colonoscopy cocktail", the procedure itself is a piece of cake.

Well Mickey, great news and a wonderful reprieve for you and Mrs. Pippin. I know the feeling, having gone through this with my wife on breast cancer 2.5 years ago. She had a double mastectomy and caught a small invasive tumor early and has been cancer free so far. She is also undergoing the frequent blood work and check ups and has had a marvelous oncologist, which is so important in these cases. I might mention I have a close friend that went through the exact same procedure you have (he was stage three and somewhat invasive, but not totally) six years ago, and he has been cancer free since and appears to be on his road to a long and normal life. So yes, prayers, faith, and positive attitude are the biggest part of the answer. Good luck to you and we in our uke family keep you in our prayers. Lozark

Pippin - so glad to hear the news. The path you and your family have walked must have been difficult. I hope the rest of your path runs straight and true. Wishing you and your family the best today and the coming years.
--G

Well Pippin the important thing is that your surgeon is sure that he got all of the cancerous part of the tumor out and that it didn't migrate into the walls of the colon. I will continueto pray for you and your family. Enjoy the Merriest Christmas.

My family has a history with colon cancer and I myself have had three pollyps removed on two different occaisions. But like all forms of cancer, early detection is tantamount to beating this disease. I had my first colonoscopy when I was forty.

Ronnie, as we pass the half century mark it becomes more necessary to be vigilant in having all these tests done. Good luck with yours and outside of the nasty "colonoscopy cocktail", the procedure itself is a piece of cake.

Yeah, the bartender needs to be fired. That cocktail stinks. But, seriously, it does clean you out very well. They gave me Movi-Prep, in a two-step process, six hours the night before the colonoscopy and again in the morning, after sleeping through the night.

Last edited:
Pippin, I'm happy for you--and happy that this subject is being discussed. Nobody looks forward to this exam but it is the best way we have of catching problems. Because I'm adopted and have no family medical history, I had my first at 40. I'm 56 and it gets easier every time I have to do it.

Everybody: stay on top of this exam--it's really not that bad!

Top Bottom