PDA

View Full Version : UU Member's Christmas 2010 ukes!

beergeek
12-23-2010, 11:40 PM
Thought I'd start a thread to post about any ukes you receive for Christmas this year...pics not required but certainly requested ;)

I have some inside info that I was good enough for Santa to bring me a new uke :drool:

As Santa has not yet arrived, I can't post anything yet but watch this space...LOL.

Hippie Dribble
12-24-2010, 12:40 AM
hi beergeek

does it count if you are your own Santa??? :o

Plainsong
12-24-2010, 02:51 AM
I've got two this year, but one will hopefully be here in time for my birthday. :)

Part one:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5084/5274208822_5b04395de0_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/apollostowel/5274208822/)

My husband opened his Peterson pipe early, so I got to open the eleuke early. I still have some headphones under the tree, silently mocking me. :)

KevinV
12-24-2010, 05:05 AM
My Christmas present is a Bean Sprout tenor banjolele. The build is finished and it will ship out next week so it won't be under the tree tomorrow, but will be just as exciting to open when it shows up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/bikenriden/Ukulele/photo2600x450.jpg

beergeek
12-24-2010, 05:06 AM
hi beergeek

does it count if you are your own Santa??? :o

It better...LOL....I was my own Santa ;)

beergeek
12-24-2010, 05:07 AM
Awesome ukes so far!!

KamakOzzie
12-24-2010, 08:49 AM
Mine started out on the left coast from California on Tuesday. Fed Ex says they won't let me have it on the right coast in Virginia until next Tuesday. Poor little thing will spend Christmas locked in a cold Fed Ex truck (or warehouse if I'm lucky).
Tuesday won't be too bad. It is my 42nd wedding anniversary.
MP pineapple concert from another UU member.
18739http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/images/misc/pencil.png

ukebeatsguitar
12-24-2010, 10:35 AM
No real "ukes" for Christmas, but I was supposed to get my Stromby and my Maccaferri fixed for my birthday in September, but they're still at the luthier's. I DO have the 1,136 page Complete Beatles Score book. You know, the one with every part to every song. I'm wishing today would get over faster!!

roxhum
12-24-2010, 11:03 AM
Santa (me) sent a new uke all the way from Hawaii and it arrived from UPS last night. I am jumping inside with excitment and trying to squeeze play time into a busy day of cooking and baking. I received a lovely KPK Concert and will post a review next week. Two of my grown children will be receiving entry level Kala's for Christmas from me, I mean Santa.
Roxhum

OldePhart
12-24-2010, 11:20 AM
I guess if we can count ourselves as Santa we can also count ukes we ordered a few weeks ago to have them ready for a Christmas show, right? In that case I guess my Mainland mango counts.

Also, Santa is bringing my granddaughter (6) an LU-11 from MGM this year.

John

Chris Tarman
12-24-2010, 12:44 PM
I've got two this year, but one will hopefully be here in time for my birthday. :)

Part one:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5084/5274208822_5b04395de0_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/apollostowel/5274208822/)

My husband opened his Peterson pipe early, so I got to open the eleuke early. I still have some headphones under the tree, silently mocking me. :)

Nice! I have several Petersons. Good pipes! Good choice!

KevinV
12-24-2010, 12:53 PM

Yes, Peterson makes a good pipe. My favorite is Stanwell, and their now defunct Royal Danish line.

Hippie Dribble
12-24-2010, 12:54 PM
I've got 2 in the mail. Santa's been so busy he got behind with the builds, but I rang his elves this morning and they've just wrapped em up and sent em sleigh mail...should arrive next week :)

phanzo
12-24-2010, 12:54 PM
I have 2 Plastic Mainland coming for my 2 baby nieces. Going to pick them up from the UPS guy right now! I got a Reggecko and a Purple Gecko. I'll post some pics of them at a later date. Stoked to play them, I hear good things! (yes they are kinda for me too since they are still a little young to be playin ukes ;))

marymary
12-24-2010, 01:34 PM
santa was very good. i got a collings ut1 koa and as a surprise i got a moore bettah nsb tenor........

Nuprin
12-24-2010, 01:54 PM
I found out during Thanksgiving that I'm being given a soprano flea from my folks. I splurged this past week and bought myself a tenor sized cigar box uke (from Barefoot Boogie Guitars) and a Custom Tenor Kanile'a (solid maple top, back, & sides). I got the CBU this past Tuesday and it's a fun uke to play. I got the Kanile'a today and it is great...I had a Kanile'a concert a little while back and was completely underwhelmed...this restores my faith in Kanile'a. I should also be receiving my Mya Moe tenor in a couple of weeks.

KevinV
12-24-2010, 02:01 PM
Not a 'uke, but used with my 'uke...I got a Roland AC-33 amp for small venue solo performing as an early Christmas present a couple weeks ago. I was just sitting here playing through it and am very happy with the tone it offers.

dkcrown
12-24-2010, 02:42 PM
santa was very good. i got a collings ut1 koa and as a surprise i got a moore bettah nsb tenor........

Ooooh marymary. You must have been a very good girl this year:)

Hippie Dribble
12-24-2010, 02:49 PM
Ooooh marymary. You must have been a very good girl this year:)

what dk said! :drool:

mds725
12-24-2010, 03:11 PM
Santa (or as my siblings and I called him growing up, Chanukah Joe) has agreed to let me pick out a K brand ukulele when I'm in Hawaii in a few months. While I'm there, I'll also be helping Santa pick out starter ukes for my two nephews.

janeray1940
12-24-2010, 03:28 PM
Santa (uh, that would be me) decided that instead of a new uke, I needed a trip to Hawaii to pick out a new uke! So, Christmas won't actually come until February for me :)

rem50
12-24-2010, 04:22 PM
I got an early christmas present last week, I bought dkcrowns KoAloha concert sceptre. I cannot stop playing it!

Ron
12-24-2010, 04:46 PM
My Bushman Jenny baritone was mine18756

Susie A
12-24-2010, 05:24 PM
I have 2 Plastic Mainland coming for my 2 baby nieces. Going to pick them up from the UPS guy right now! I got a Reggecko and a Purple Gecko. I'll post some pics of them at a later date. Stoked to play them, I hear good things! (yes they are kinda for me too since they are still a little young to be playin ukes ;))

I got two to give as gifts also .. a Reggecko and a Green Gecko. Sounds like a Mainland Christmas is in this year.

Ronnie Aloha
12-24-2010, 05:38 PM

Dang, you must have been VERY good!

mm stan
12-24-2010, 07:19 PM
Wow Mary you must been extra nice....what does nsb stand for anyways!!! You sure have a Merry Mary Christmas!!

Plainsong
12-24-2010, 10:15 PM

He's mostly a Peterson/Stanwell man, but also enjoys his two Savinellis. Basically, the latest pipe he got is always his favorite. I got him a Peterson fishtail Aran. I just remember him saying he wanted a fishtail, and the Aran that I got him has a killer straight grain on the wood. One of those cases where a better wood was used for one of the "cheaper" pipes. One of his Stanwells is like that too. He's pretty bummed about the Stanwell factory move.

Last year he got two, an Altinok meerschaum, and a grail - a Peterson Sherlock Holmes "The Squire" - he didn't know I got him that one.

Listen to me, I sound like I'm into pipes! It's just that we uke players appreciate something made well and made of wood. I can understand it on that level. :-)

dkcrown
12-25-2010, 01:08 AM
Wow Mary you must been extra nice....what does nsb stand for anyways!!! You sure have a Merry Mary Christmas!!

Not so basic. Have a Merry, Merry Christmas Stan

marymary
12-25-2010, 01:37 AM
Thanks dk, yes, it stands for not so basic. And it really is a sight to behold.

I sold an expensive mandolin recently and used some of the money to fund the Collings. My other half bought me the Moore Bettah to cheer me up. (we lost one of our dogs a week ago to cancer). Chuck's uke made me smile. Ukulele = smiles.

guitharsis
12-25-2010, 01:55 AM
Congrats Mary. Is it the one from Music Emporium? I love that one.

Sorry about your dog.

Hippie Dribble
12-25-2010, 02:11 AM
here's some photos of my daughter with her new uke, an Emil Bader Mango Concert Pineapple

She's so incredibly happy which puts me over the moon too. Lots of family jams this summer!

Children and music. Life's two precious gifts, eh. :)

mm stan
12-25-2010, 02:14 AM
Aloha DKcrown and Mary,
Many thank you's for filling me in on that one.....May you both have a Merry Christmas!!! Mary sorry to hear about the loss of your dog....MM Stan...

Aloha Eugene,
Wow I didn't know you got your daughter a Concert Emil.....thought you bought a soprano.. it's must have some volume and it's nice too!!! MM Stan...

ytmr
12-25-2010, 03:53 AM
I'm not sure whether I'll be allowed to get myself an Eleuke for Christmas (belated though), so I'm still hoping that Santa will be extra nice!

thatukuleleguy
12-25-2010, 04:12 AM
I got a beautiful Eleuke Series 100!

Merry Christmas, everyone!

KevinV
12-25-2010, 05:31 AM
Eugene...

Looks like a happy girl to me! A very nice 'uke, and is that tweed case part of the package too or does that go with something else?

fitncrafty
12-25-2010, 05:33 AM

OOhh.. how do you like it? What size is it? I am dreaming of one in violet...

thatukuleleguy
12-25-2010, 06:22 AM
OOhh.. how do you like it? What size is it? I am dreaming of one in violet...

I love it! I can finally jam into the wee hours of the morning without waking anyone up. It's a concert.

Rockabilly
12-25-2010, 06:29 AM
For Christmas I ordered myself a custom tenor from kanilea..should be here by April so I guess will come late this year!

Lexxy
12-25-2010, 06:47 AM
Don't think Santa's gonna get me anything this year :(

Chris Tarman
12-25-2010, 06:50 AM
He's mostly a Peterson/Stanwell man, but also enjoys his two Savinellis. Basically, the latest pipe he got is always his favorite. I got him a Peterson fishtail Aran. I just remember him saying he wanted a fishtail, and the Aran that I got him has a killer straight grain on the wood. One of those cases where a better wood was used for one of the "cheaper" pipes. One of his Stanwells is like that too. He's pretty bummed about the Stanwell factory move.

Last year he got two, an Altinok meerschaum, and a grail - a Peterson Sherlock Holmes "The Squire" - he didn't know I got him that one.

Listen to me, I sound like I'm into pipes! It's just that we uke players appreciate something made well and made of wood. I can understand it on that level. :-)

I have (at the moment, and among MANY MANY others) 89 Ashtons. I was good friends with the late Bill Taylor, who made them. He went to work for Dunhill in '59 at the age of 15 as an apprentice, and started his own company in '83. Great great pipes. I miss him a lot!

Chris Tarman
12-25-2010, 07:07 AM
No ukes for Christmas, which doesn't surprise me. My wife, in 25 years of dating/living together/marriage has only ever gotten me THREE pipes, even though ( I would think) that would be an easy gift. So, it's not surprising that she would not try to buy me an ukulele. I think she thinks that sort of thing is best picked out by me. I guess I can see her point, but it would still be a nice gesture. I DID get a UU t-shirt from her parents, and a set of Martin Fluorocarbon strings from my brother-in-law. I had an unexpected (or forgotten) windfall that I found out about this week. About a year and a half ago, I bought a recumbent tricycle (I'm kind of a bike geek, too), and I left my recumbent bicycle on consignment at a recumbent-specific bike shop across the state. I checked periodically and it was always on their website. I hadn't checked in a long while, until last week when for some reason I looked and it was not there. So I emailed them and they had sold it the day before. So now I have a check on its way to me. Hmmm... whatever can I do with that (semi-large sum of) money???

imperialbari
12-25-2010, 08:20 AM

Part one:

Congratulations to all getting a ukulele!

The eleuke is something totally new to me. Not the concept of amplifying a uke, but the combination of a solid body with nylon strings. The latter are a must for me, as my fingers are too sore for steel strings.

Your sample is beautiful. Colourwise I am a bit more conservative, less so when it comes to shapes. But then there also is something speaking to me:

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l360/dezignmind/ELEUKE%20TENOR%20rosewood%20MP3%20Electric%20Uke%2 0TC100%20PHP/3.jpg

This one is in rosewood, and I have seen the same shape in mahogany. Are there any rules of thumb about the species of wood influencing the sound?

Klaus

TicToc
12-25-2010, 08:53 AM
This little girl was waiting for me under the tree this morning...
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9635/makaladolphin.png

Excuse the bed head and pajamas, haha.

fitncrafty
12-25-2010, 09:13 AM
Don't think Santa's gonna get me anything this year :(

No new uke's for christmas for me either Lexxy... I was still a good girl. I believe in Karma.. and I am certain that there is new uke's in our future...

fitncrafty
12-25-2010, 09:14 AM
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9635/makaladolphin.png

Excuse the bed head and pajamas, haha.

Awesome photo tictoc... How are you enjoying that dolphin? We all have bedhead.. and it's after 3 pm and we are all still in our Pj's!

HornedOne
12-25-2010, 11:19 AM
I got a very very old unknown uke yesterday. and ordered an eleuke on tuesday hoping it would be delivered in time for christmas but due to some bugs with paypal its not even shipped yet. but that will arrive some time next week if i'm lucky.

so I will have gotten an early xmas uke and a late xmas uke xD

Hippie Dribble
12-25-2010, 11:54 AM
Eugene...

Looks like a happy girl to me! A very nice 'uke, and is that tweed case part of the package too or does that go with something else?

Hey Kevin

Merry Christmas mate! Yep, the tweed case goes with the uke! It was funny, cause Jemimah first opened the wrapping and just loved the case...kept looking at it and saying how beauiful it was...it was only when my wife said "are you gonna open it up?" that she found the uke inside!!!

Mim
12-25-2010, 01:29 PM

Would that have happened to be gifted to you by your mother? I sent a concert Rosewood to Houston... just curious if that was it :)

Mim
12-25-2010, 01:30 PM
I am gifting myself an Eleuke acoustic prototype. I don't know which though, so I will be posting a thread soon for opinions. Choices Choices...

TicToc
12-25-2010, 02:58 PM
Awesome photo tictoc... How are you enjoying that dolphin? We all have bedhead.. and it's after 3 pm and we are all still in our Pj's!

I'm loving the Dolphin, I haven't put it down all day! haha I'm going to get one for my girlfriend's birthday present, she said that she wanted to learn Ukulele. You have no idea how happy I was when she told me that. :)

mds725
12-25-2010, 03:03 PM

Congratulations, TicToc. That's a great color for a dolphin. Have fun playing it.

mds725
12-25-2010, 03:08 PM
here's some photos of my daughter with her new uke, an Emil Bader Mango Concert Pineapple

She's so incredibly happy which puts me over the moon too. Lots of family jams this summer!

She looks like a natural with the ukulele. A very happy natural. I'm going to guess that her reaction to getting the ukulele was the best gift you got this Christmas. I hope you post videos of some of those upcoming family jams!

Inner Prop
12-25-2010, 04:56 PM
There are two threads like this, maybe they should combine.

I posted in the other thread, but I'm so excited I'll post again. I got my first (ha ha, first, it may be my only) ukulele, a Lanikai LU21 with a gig bag.

collin415
12-25-2010, 08:18 PM
Santa (me) sent a new uke all the way from Hawaii and it arrived from UPS last night. I am jumping inside with excitment and trying to squeeze play time into a busy day of cooking and baking. I received a lovely KPK Concert and will post a review next week. Two of my grown children will be receiving entry level Kala's for Christmas from me, I mean Santa.
Roxhum

Hi Roxhum,

I see you decided to get the KPK (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?38493-Koa-Pili-Koko). I'm still curious about them, so I'm looking forward to your review!

Happy Holidays,
Collin

Plainsong
12-25-2010, 09:03 PM
I don't understand why the wives won't buy the pipe smokers pipes. It's a no-brainer gift. Unless I got a porsche design pipe, I really don't think I could go wrong. But he's still a relative newb, with only 10 pipes, 2 clay, 2 meer one of which is made from REALLY good meer, 1 convertible churchwarden, 2 rustic, 1 sandblast, 1 freehand... so I guess he's still easy to please. He's so impossible to buy gifts for, that now that he's into pipes it's suddenly easy.

But I do wish he'd buy me a gift once in a while. He's afraid he'll mess it up. He's happy to check a uke for me and wrap it up, but won't buy it himself. In his defense, he's the kind of guy who'd rather audition before buying (he plays guitar and bass but would know what sucks from what doesn't on a uke), but that's impossible here. Two stores sell ukes. Neither sells anything I'd buy. But music stores around here are generally poor, not just poor for ukes.

Maybe one day, Santa Anders will get me something, until then, I have to be happy that he's a very uke-supportive hubby. :)

But really our Christmases have stopped being about the haul we get. It's kind of a surprise that I was able to get two this year, along with some killer headphones. It's just that the timing worked out that way. Christmas feels nicer when you stop doing the commercial hustle. Still, a uke for birthday will be nice. I usually get combined Christmas/birthday stuff.

dkcrown
12-26-2010, 04:38 AM
I am not a pipe smoker so I don't know anything about them, but it appears to me that some people here definately have a case of PAS:)

adampetcher
12-26-2010, 11:35 AM
I got a red Fluke, and it's every bit as good as I expected (much better than the LU-21 I've been playing for the last few months). Thanks UUers fore helping me figure out what to put on my wish list.

I also got a Grizzly kit (which is going to stay in its box until spring), a soprano uke case (so I can bring my Lanikai on business trips and annoy my co-workers at the airport), a Korg digital tuner (which I don't seem to need for the Fluke, but it is helpful for tuning the LU-21), and "Mel Bay Learn To Play Fingerstyle Solos for Ukulele" (which is great so far).

beergeek
12-27-2010, 03:55 AM
I'll post pics later but thanks to UU members Mike at Mainland and Mike at Uke Republic, Santa brought a Mainland Reggae Gecko and a Kiwaya KTS-7.

The Gecko is ridiculously nice for the price. The Kiwaya KTS-7 is their take on a Martin 3M. It's perfection in every way.

I have now purchased ukes from Mike at MGM, Mike at Mainland and Mike at Uke Republic....Hmmmm...Our 3 Mikes? My experience with all 3 has been nothing short of spectacular.

Mike at Uke Republic was fantastic to work with on the Kiwaya, it's truly a dream uke!

Chris Tarman
12-27-2010, 06:07 AM
I am not a pipe smoker so I don't know anything about them, but it appears to me that some people here definately have a case of PAS:)

Yeah... that'd be me.

lisaxy424
12-27-2010, 06:14 AM
I received the cutest little purple Flea from Santa this year! I seriously spend half my time playing it, and the other half just hugging it...
http://www.dukeofuke.co.uk/images/flea-poiple-s.jpg

fitncrafty
12-27-2010, 06:24 AM
I received the cutest little purple Flea from Santa this year! I seriously spend half my time playing it, and the other half just hugging it...

Love it!! One of those on my wish list too.. You must really love those flukes and fleas.. you have others don't you?

lisaxy424
12-27-2010, 10:20 AM
...You must really love those flukes and fleas.. you have others don't you?
Last Christmas I received my blue Fluke, and almost loved it to pieces, literally - I am digging this new holiday "tradition" ;)

ukeeku
12-27-2010, 10:26 AM

Now all you have to do is put some flowers on it and you have the uke of your dreams.

Susie A
12-27-2010, 11:07 AM
Mike at Uke Republic was fantastic to work with on the Kiwaya, it's truly a dream uke!

Uke Republic Mike is my main uke man! He has always gone above and beyond in customer service. Too bad he doesn't sell resonator ukes, that will be my next purchase.

OldePhart
12-27-2010, 01:52 PM
I am not a pipe smoker so I don't know anything about them, but it appears to me that some people here definately have a case of PAS

Yeah... that'd be me.

Just as long as they don't also play guitar - because then they would PAS GAS... <groan>

John

Chris Tarman
12-27-2010, 01:56 PM
Just as long as they don't also play guitar - because then they would PAS GAS... <groan>

John

Ugh!!!!!!!!!!

Hippie Dribble
12-27-2010, 02:31 PM
Uke Republic Mike is my main uke man! He has always gone above and beyond in customer service. Too bad he doesn't sell resonator ukes, that will be my next purchase.

hey Susie!

Isn't Mike a fantastic guy and so awesome to do business with. His customer service standards are sure high and he goes beyond the call of duty with people. By the way, what kind of reso uke are you after?

ricksan66
12-29-2010, 04:38 AM
Santa left me some cash, so my Christmas present is on the way. A figure-8 concert from Dave at Waverly Street Ukuleles.

http://www.wsukes.com/166/u166.html

ItsMrPitchy
12-29-2010, 06:19 AM
I got a Greg Bennett concert uk 70 pkn. Loving it.

pcspud
12-29-2010, 09:07 AM
http://acousticcentre.com.au/uploadedFiles/1152606996421-6046.jpg

Lucky to get a Cole Clark - UL3

pastyman
12-29-2010, 09:39 AM
Well Santa knows where Cornwall is cos he delivered two to my address. A Stagg soprano for me and aanother soprano, cant remember the make, might have been Adreine or something similar, for my six year old grandson. I was amazed, he leart to ply a C and F chord in the first day . My Stagg is a cheaper uke but now with Aquila strings sounds pretty good. I have a Lake which is a pretty good tennor uke that I have tuned in low G and I also have a couple of Banjoleles. so a pretty full house..................... for now.

Thanks Santa

Hippie Dribble
12-29-2010, 10:22 AM
http://acousticcentre.com.au/uploadedFiles/1152606996421-6046.jpg

Lucky to get a Cole Clark - UL3

niiiiiiice!!!!!. gorgeous looking uke there, pc spud. how does she sound?

Welcome to the UU forums too, by the way, you'll have a ball.

Enjoy your lovely new Cole Clark!

Plainsong
12-29-2010, 11:25 AM
Ugh!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, saw your youtube channel. Your PAS is way past justification... and giving my husband ideas for "better" use of our shelf space! ;)

beergeek
12-29-2010, 11:50 AM
Nice.....we're a lucky bunch!

pcspud
12-29-2010, 03:48 PM
Lovely rich sound and enjoying it!

tomtiki
12-29-2010, 04:29 PM
Got a good deal on an Ivy Flea (Craigslist) a few days before Christmas. When my wife saw it, she said "So, do you want that to be your present?". Took it with me during Christmas travels. I love it.

ytmr
12-29-2010, 06:18 PM
Santa came late this year, brought me a Tenor Jazz Cutaway Sunburst eleuke, amongst other stuff! ;D

Plainsong
12-30-2010, 10:34 AM
The Mainland mahogany concert got here safely today from Eagle Music. Maybe late for Christmas but in time for my birthday. I was thrilled! ... until mom called. She asked what I got with my bday stash. When I told her, she basically made me feel like dirt for playing uke and having ukes plural. It was unintentional, but definitely more mean spirited than Grandma's clarinet lobbying of a few days ago. Mom's had a rough year and I think this helps her feel a little better. Like I said, it's not really intentional, but... yeah. Thanks, mom.

The thing that bothers me about it, is that I have no rights to any musician's ego whatsoever on the subject. I can't shrug it off because I don't have the skills to prove her wrong. I suck. She would _never_point that out of course, but I know it, and it bothers me. If I brought some skills to the table, what someone who's never picked up an instrument in their lives says about my choice of instrument, would bother me not one little bit.

I love getting ukes and I have no talent to play them. More proof for my family that I'm the crazy one. And it's not as if I don't live far enough away already. :(

pdxuke
12-30-2010, 10:43 AM
The Mainland mahogany concert got here safely today from Eagle Music. Maybe late for Christmas but in time for my birthday. I was thrilled! ... until mom called. She asked what I got with my bday stash. When I told her, she basically made me feel like dirt for playing uke and having ukes plural. It was unintentional, but definitely more mean spirited than Grandma's clarinet lobbying of a few days ago. Mom's had a rough year and I think this helps her feel a little better. Like I said, it's not really intentional, but... yeah. Thanks, mom.

The thing that bothers me about it, is that I have no rights to any musician's ego whatsoever on the subject. I can't shrug it off because I don't have the skills to prove her wrong. I suck. She would _never_point that out of course, but I know it, and it bothers me. If I brought some skills to the table, what someone who's never picked up an instrument in their lives says about my choice of instrument, would bother me not one little bit.

I love getting ukes and I have no talent to play them. More proof for my family that I'm the crazy one. And it's not as if I don't live far enough away already. :(

Ah yes, mothers.

They CAN push our buttons, can't they?

Look, you're a grown up person now: you can make your own decisions. And it's okay to buy ukes. It's okay to buy ukes and not even play them, to just look at them. It's okay to buy ukes and give them away. You don't have to be a great uke player to buy ukes and love them and enjoy them. It's all--OK.

I'm glad for you that you bought your Mainland for your birthday. Happy Birthday!

ksiegel
12-30-2010, 10:52 AM
No talent? Bull! You think you suck?? Double Bull!!

Does playing the ukulele make you feel good, happy, glad to be doing something creative? Then dammit, you've got talent, and DON'T suck!

I remember feeling somewhat similar when I was in college, not because anyone else told me my guitar playing was bad, but because I felt that way! I was surrounded by literally dozens of incredible guitarists in college, and I wasn't good enough to hold their picks for them. So I quit playing, and stuffed the guitar in a closet.

A couple of years later, I was doing setup and running sound for an open mike night featuring about 6 of those incredible players, and one asked me (on mike, no less!) why I wasn't up there playing. I told him that I'd quit, because I sucked. He asked point blank if playing ever, even once, made me happy, and of course I had to say yes. (All this time turning red of embarrasssment).

He called me up on stage, handed me his guitar, and said "Make yourself happy - that will make all of us happy." I was completely befuddled - no callouses, hadn't played anything for over two years - what the heck could I play?

Two friends called out "Tennessee Stud", a song I used to butcher regularly. It took three false starts, but I played it. By the second chorus, people were singing along, and I realized I really was happy playing - it didn't matter who else liked it. To quote Karen Carpenter, "Don't worry that its not good enough for anyone else to hear, just Sing - sing a song."

So Fie on your detractors! You may not be the best (Onl;y one can be, after all), but you try, and that is more than the naysayers do. Keep on ukein'

-Kurt

marihhen
01-07-2011, 08:43 AM
Mainland mmmmmm Mango! Finally I can share it with you, it took a LOT of me to decide what uke do I want... I am happy with my choice.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14746757/115/DSC_0527.jpg

PS. Plainsong my mom always wants me to play and SING (ME?!) to her guests at partys... I feel like a litttle girl with the accordion again but I am glad that I can say no to her :D Hang in there, there is nothing to do- you will always be a child to your mother :D

dkcrown
01-07-2011, 09:12 AM
Very nice choice, marihhen. I love the looks of your new mainland

Plainsong, there is only one person that you have to justify buying ukuleles to and that is yourself. As was said before, if it makes you happy, then go for it. Most people whom don't play the ukulele, let alone any musical instrument would understand the "need" for multiple ukulelels. Our parents are never going to understand everything that makes us tick, just as I will never completely understand everything about my kids. Different strokes for different folks.

And when did it become a requirement that you had to be a maestro or prodigy in order to own more than one ukulele? Skill level has nothing to do with it. All that is required is an appreciation for a wonderfully joyus sound, beautiful craftsmanship, and the ability to pay for it.:)

greyghost
01-07-2011, 09:19 AM
I posted this in the other thread too, but here it is again: My first real Uke, a Kala KA-TEM. It's gorgeous, and I sound pretty good playing it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/CheapGearKing/IMG_2576.jpg

Plainsong
01-07-2011, 12:32 PM
Oh I thought about getting the mango, but only after I placed the order for the mahogany. I figured if the mahog was in stock, then it was meant to be. :) That mango sure is nice though.

The thing about mom though. I know my sucky playing will probably really impress her. It's just that I don't get home much, so I really don't age to her. I moved to Finland in 1998, so I haven't aged or changed since then, and even then I was the prized forever-a-child. :)

I think she could tell I felt bad about what she said, so while she didn't apologize as such, she made it clear that "As long as you're happy, dear." ;)

OldePhart
01-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Nice choice Marihhen! I lovesses my mango. :)

John

ADD
01-08-2011, 04:53 PM

Children and music. Life's two precious gifts, eh. :)

That's a beautiful uke. Hope to see you two posting a video one day.

ADD
01-08-2011, 05:40 PM
Mainland mmmmmm Mango! Finally I can share it with you, it took a LOT of me to decide what uke do I want... I am happy with my choice.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14746757/115/DSC_0527.jpg

PS. Plainsong my mom always wants me to play and SING (ME?!) to her guests at partys... I feel like a litttle girl with the accordion again but I am glad that I can say no to her :D Hang in there, there is nothing to do- you will always be a child to your mother :D

Glad you went with the Mainland concert and the mango is pretty. And I want everyone to know how beautiful the cards are of that incredible ukulele in the snow photo of you from Zazzle - super quality and fast shipping. Just ordered the Hoodie and shirts and will let you all know if the same quality of photo print applies to the shirts. Can't wait to wear them to my uke group.

marihhen
01-08-2011, 07:10 PM
Thank you Bonita, for all your help. with cards, with my mad choosing of ukulele and the energy you have given me :)

John, isnīt the mango just greatest- I find myself staring at her more than it is normal I think. its like watching a child sleep, play or laugh (well, I have made my mango cry too already). I just love saying MY Mainland Mango!

Plainsong, I know a place near Finland where is one Mainland waiting for you, hehe ;)